Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Wheeee posted:

Which is why it's basically dead in :911: and being pursued in places like :china:.

Thanks Obama Corporate Murca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

Obama loves the corporations, as evidenced by TARP and the bank bailout as well as the stimulus and lack of sending bank jerks to jail.

Therefore we must vote to defund the government, cut taxes and drown the bastard in the bathtub because of how we hate him and want him to die. No of course not republican, I mean libertarian.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wheeee posted:

Which is why it's basically dead in :911: and being pursued in places like :china:.

Well, it's pursued in China because the party bosses live in Beijing and don't want to live in Beijing's air.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

computer parts posted:

Well, it's pursued in China because the party bosses live in Beijing and don't want to live in Beijing's air.

So you're saying the solution is to allow coal power plants to blow unfiltered exhaust into the air until the torches and pitchforks expensive lawyers come out?

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Wheeee posted:

It works in China because they use standardization and have a much saner and more progressive regulatory agency. With standardization, you build a bunch of identical power plants instead of single special snowflake plants, which reduces inspection time/cost and construction time/cost due to each subsequent plant being more familiar.

quote:

By way of contrast, China has stated that it expects its costs for plants under construction to come in at less than $2000/kW and that subsequent units should be in the range of $1600/kW. This estimate is for the AP1000 design, the same as used by EIA for the USA. This would mean that an AP1000 in the USA would cost about three times as much as the same plant built in China. Different labour rates in the two countries are only part of the explanation. Standardised design, numerous units being built, and increased localisation are all significant factors in China.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Economic-Aspects/Economics-of-Nuclear-Power/

In the US, standardization is difficult because you still need to build a single plant "standard" first, which can take up to two decades and would carry an extremely high cost, just like any other plant. No one has the time or money to do this. Instead, US nuclear companies are trying to shrink their new nuclear plants down to a Small Modular format, to make them mass-producible in factories. We can expect these to get through development and inspection and licensing some time before the next ice age.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Office Thug posted:

We can expect these to get through development and inspection and licensing some time before the next ice age.

Ironically, because of global warming, we might not! :D

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i've seen places that try to do the math on how much coal/oil/gas has been found, how much has been burned, how many ppm that translated to, and how many degrees C that translates to, and how many meters sea rise that translates to

but

has anyone taken those 'yet to be burned' reserves and backed out the math on exactly how badly we'd bankrupt the big energy companies? like X (hundred?) billions? and therefore y (hundreds of) thousand jobs etc

and then go the next notch, all the index funds and pension funds and 401k/ira funds that would tank

I think if anyone actually did the math it would come out to like 2 - 10x worse than the financial crisis

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

computer parts posted:

This, essentially. China, with a much larger population mostly below western ideals for a standard quality of life, ratcheted up coal burning (and hydro-electric, and natural gas, and...) to provide energy for a whole shitload of infrastructure and other poo poo - enter massive environmental problems, so much so that the government there is looking to thorium as an alternative.

Also, as to how politically viable this tech is in the states, here's :swoon:Kirk Sorensen:swoon: again, with a much more recent, slightly more technical video on the LFTR (being pursued by his own company FLIBE energy) talking about both the political will (and climate) for new energy in the US, and also briefly about China I believe

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
It's up to local and state governments to spearhead alternate/renewable energies. Can you dig it

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

StabbinHobo posted:

i've seen places that try to do the math on how much coal/oil/gas has been found, how much has been burned, how many ppm that translated to, and how many degrees C that translates to, and how many meters sea rise that translates to

but

has anyone taken those 'yet to be burned' reserves and backed out the math on exactly how badly we'd bankrupt the big energy companies? like X (hundred?) billions? and therefore y (hundreds of) thousand jobs etc

and then go the next notch, all the index funds and pension funds and 401k/ira funds that would tank

I think if anyone actually did the math it would come out to like 2 - 10x worse than the financial crisis

You're assuming the big oil companies stay in the same business. I would not be surprised if they make a switch to other industries.

Saudi Aramco (which isn't the best example compared to Exxon, BP, or the other private companies.) Is increasingly branching out. I would not be surprised as resource extraction declines the big private and state owned oil companies turn into power generation and water purification conglomerates.

Water will continue to be an issue as more and more locales have longer and longer droughts. You can use a desalination plant or on a small scale pull it out of the air.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 21, 2014

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Senor P. posted:

You're assuming the big oil companies stay in the same business. I would not be surprised if they make a switch to other industries.

this is hand waiving sillyness

proven reserves are baked into the balance sheet and therefore market cap of all of these companies. to be told they can't use those reserves anymore means (tr?)billions of dollars have to evaporate.

edit: 1.6 trillion barrels http://www.eia.gov/cfapps/ipdbproject/IEDIndex3.cfm?tid=5&pid=57&aid=6

edit2: http://news.exxonmobil.com/press-release/exxon-mobil-corporation-announces-2013-reserves-replacement-totaled-103-percent
exxon has 13B of just oil, at $100/bbl thats $1.3T. their market cap is $440B: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=XOM

and thats just one oil company, not counting gas, and no coal

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 21, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

StabbinHobo posted:

this is hand waiving sillyness

proven reserves are baked into the balance sheet and therefore market cap of all of these companies. to be told they can't use those reserves anymore means (tr?)billions of dollars have to evaporate.

edit: 1.6 trillion barrels http://www.eia.gov/cfapps/ipdbproject/IEDIndex3.cfm?tid=5&pid=57&aid=6

edit2: http://news.exxonmobil.com/press-release/exxon-mobil-corporation-announces-2013-reserves-replacement-totaled-103-percent
exxon has 13B of just oil, at $100/bbl thats $1.3T. their market cap is $440B: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=XOM

and thats just one oil company, not counting gas, and no coal

No sane person is talking about banning oil usage, the stuff is just too useful and there are uses for it that renewables are ill-suited for - like making plastic. The point is to stop using it for poo poo we don't need it for (so that we can stretch supplies longer on the stuff we still do need to use oil for) and to stop burning it since that's way shittier for the environment than, say, using it to manufacture plastic.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Cool Bear posted:

I would bet all of my money that nothing will happen until it is profitable. That means that oil needs to increase in price.

Carbon taxes.

Wheeee posted:

Hell naw son, :911: would never import that commie garbage, instead there will be trillion-dollar contracts given to Lockheed to develop their own drat reactors once the need is great enough to overcome cultural and political barriers.

Really the only way that nuclear could take off again in America is if the Koch brothers decided to complete their transformation into cartoon villains and astroturf a new political movement to allow them to build plants.

The way they keep oil prices low is by ensuring we don't make it more difficult or expensive to burn fossil fuels. Carbon taxes would immediately make nuclear power and renewables competitive.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Carbon taxes already exist in many places. They have little to do with oil usage because most oil usage is not in power plants. And batteries for electric transport are still not all that great.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
Regardless, a carbon tax will raise the price of burning fossil fuels, which we desperately need to do.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

down with slavery posted:

Regardless, a carbon tax will raise the price of burning fossil fuels, which we desperately need to do.
Don't worry citizen! Your electricity costs may go up but your energy provider, through a series of shrewd campaign contributions and the efforts of dozens of very expensive lawyers, has managed to be classified as a 9-speed bicycle for tax purposes and is thus safe from the fury of Big Government.

All increasing the price of burning fossil fuels will do is gently caress the poor.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Rent-A-Cop posted:

All increasing the price of burning fossil fuels will do is gently caress the poor.

Unless the carbon tax is redistributed per capita directly to the population :)

http://www.ted.com/talks/james_hansen_why_i_must_speak_out_about_climate_change?language=en

"All legislation will gently caress the poor" might honestly be accurate, but I mean, where does that leave us? No legislation fucks the poor, politically viable legislation fucks the poor, no win situation there.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Unless the carbon tax is redistributed per capita directly to the population :)
This will happen shortly after Kanye is elected King of America I imagine.

"All legislation will gently caress the poor" might honestly be accurate, but I mean, where does that leave us? No legislation fucks the poor, politically viable legislation fucks the poor, no win situation there.
If we're in "redistribute carbon taxes to the poor" fantasyland we may as well just wish for nationalized energy production.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If we're in "redistribute carbon taxes to the poor" fantasyland we may as well just wish for nationalized energy production.

I would unironically support this so?

Bottom line is that it needs to become more costly to emit carbon if we're going to continue down the path we are without destroying the climate. How you want to get there is up to you. I gave you an easy way, the fact that our political system is so hosed up isn't really my problem. My realistic assessment of the situation is "we're hosed" but that's less fun to talk about.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Main Paineframe posted:

No sane person is talking about banning oil usage, the stuff is just too useful and there are uses for it that renewables are ill-suited for - like making plastic. The point is to stop using it for poo poo we don't need it for (so that we can stretch supplies longer on the stuff we still do need to use oil for) and to stop burning it since that's way shittier for the environment than, say, using it to manufacture plastic.

paineframe i vaguely recall your screen name as not-a-moron but what you just posted here is some seriously dumb poo poo

lets run down the list
- "no sane person is talking about banning oil usage"
yes you are right no one but you brought that up. i was very specific, formulaic even, in how much I was talking about limiting it. try re-reading the part about ppm-> degrees C-> meters

- "useful for plastic"
plastic is an absurdly tiny part of what oil & gas get used for and has nothing to do with coal. therefore it is overall completely loving irrelevant. even if it was the only thing left companies could do with oil that would support a $1/bbl price not a $100/bbl so they'd all go bankrupt anyway. but mostly i'm sorry for participating in this dumb tangent.

- "the point is blah blah blah"
no that's not the point that's happytalk nonsense, the "point" is to avoid catastrophic feedback loops from rapid warming by keeping ppm well below 400. you can't bitch about the other side being anti-science when you refuse to grasp the basic numbers at hand.

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 22, 2014

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ma i married a tuna posted:

That's really the sort of thing I meant earlier too. Do you have any information on cost, specifically, investment vs savings?

Of course, location is a huge factor, but I would venture a guess and say that every Wal-Mart in Arizona, for example, could do this and save money.

Unfortunately, I'm not privy to financial particulars. Big companies don't like to share that info with employees usually. I can say, however, that all of the equipment was paid for and installed with straight cash. Our CEO is a bit eccentric and doesn't believe in borrowing money for anything. All the equipment to take everything off-grid was doable within the profit margin of the company, and we're definitely not anywhere close to fortune 500 status or anything.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm kinda doubting your company runs off the grid...that would be costly. How are y'all storing energy and how do you meet peak energy demand? More than likely you are just generating your own energy usage, and push/pull from the grid without much net costs.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Arkane posted:

I'm kinda doubting your company runs off the grid...that would be costly. How are y'all storing energy and how do you meet peak energy demand? More than likely you are just generating your own energy usage, and push/pull from the grid without much net costs.

They announced with quite a bit of fanfare that we are 100% off grid. They have 100 acres of solar panels and 45 windmills (it's super windy here). I know they have a storage facility underground somewhere on campus, but I don't know where or what method they use. Our campus is 900 acres and 85% empty so I haven't exactly gone exploring for a big pit full of batteries.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Out of all technologies right now, batteries are most in need some kind of major breakthrough. Like maybe a higher temperature superconductor to make SMES units a viability. Or anything that can replace the basic lithium batteries which have been around in, more or less, the same form since the 1970s.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

They announced with quite a bit of fanfare that we are 100% off grid. They have 100 acres of solar panels and 45 windmills (it's super windy here). I know they have a storage facility underground somewhere on campus, but I don't know where or what method they use. Our campus is 900 acres and 85% empty so I haven't exactly gone exploring for a big pit full of batteries.

I can pretty much guarantee you're not actually "off the grid" in the sense that you are actually isolated from it. That would just be stupid, since no setup ever generates exactly as much energy it needs, even with good energy storage means. I'm certain they mean that the net power you draw from the grid is zero, or negative. That's great, but you're not "off the grid." There is literally no good reason to be "off the grid," so that's fine.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I can pretty much guarantee you're not actually "off the grid" in the sense that you are actually isolated from it. That would just be stupid, since no setup ever generates exactly as much energy it needs, even with good energy storage means. I'm certain they mean that the net power you draw from the grid is zero, or negative. That's great, but you're not "off the grid." There is literally no good reason to be "off the grid," so that's fine.

You could definitely be right, but as I said before, our CEO is pretty eccentric. She makes a big deal about people using imprecise language (she gets mad about the hyperbolic "literally" and saying "less" when you mean "fewer" and so on), so it would surprise me if her announcement had such an imprecise statement in it. I suppose it's possible she doesn't understand the technology and just repeated what the various contractors told her. Suffice it to say at least that our organization no longer pays a power bill at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

You could definitely be right, but as I said before, our CEO is pretty eccentric. She makes a big deal about people using imprecise language (she gets mad about the hyperbolic "literally" and saying "less" when you mean "fewer" and so on), so it would surprise me if her announcement had such an imprecise statement in it. I suppose it's possible she doesn't understand the technology and just repeated what the various contractors told her. Suffice it to say at least that our organization no longer pays a power bill at all.

Unless the lights get dimmer and your computer turns off when the wind dies down and the sun goes behind clouds, OR your company apparently owns the world's largest concentration of off-grid battery systems, you're grid-tied.

There is a good reason to be off-grid, though - when you live in the middle of nowhere and tying to the grid isn't an option to begin with.

• Locked thread