Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Let's share some stories that aren't common knowledge, even among film buffs. I'll start off.

Did you know?

In the original theatrical print of "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan," Kirk (William Shatner) shouts "Tron!", rather than "Khan!" as is commonly believed. This was a promotional tie-in for Disney's upcoming film the following month.

Director Kevin Smith released several slightly different prints of "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" to theaters at release. The alterations were in the opening scenes. Differences include whether or not Silent Bob (Kevin Smith) is heard speaking or not. He did this to create dissent on internet discussion boards and maybe to get "Askewniverse" nerds to purchase an additional ticket to see if they were right or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ben Gazarra and Patrick Swayze switched roles right before filming Road House.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The twist in Planet of the Apes wasn't faked. The entire film was actually shot on location on Earth.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
Doctor Katz was supposed to be animated with on-model characters, but ended up being animated by a group of animators with Parkinson's disease. Nobody on the production staff had the heart to tell them they made errors and just adopted the style of 'squigglevision'.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

While in costume as Batman, Christian Bale never blinks once. This allowed him to "summon the rage" necessary for the role, but ultimately left him with a scratched cornea.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Maltese Falcon did in fact did turn out to be worth quite a bit of money, despite what the characters say about it. The movie just ended before it was eventually sold at an auction.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Comedian and former talk show host Jay Leno is quite the car enthusiast. He owns the largest collection of cars in the world. However, he doesn't know how to drive stick shift.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Funny stuff, all

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Trivia: The scalps that the Indian chief shows John Wayne in The Searchers are authentic.

Goofs: In the climactic Red Sea crossing in The Ten Commandments, one of the Isrealites has his dick out. It is uncircumcised.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 20, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
After filming each Beethoven movie, all the dogs are destroyed. This is due to a clause in Charles Grodin's contract.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Cannibal Holocaust was a documentary.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
In the film North by Northwest Alfred Hitchcock was unable to secure permission to film at UN headquarters. He instead filmed all the scenes covertly and enlisted the then current US ambassador to the UN Lester Townsend's aid to do so. Townsend was a big Hitchcock fan and gameplay pretended to be murdered by throwing knife for a pivotal scene, briefly causing an international incident.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The oldest recurring character in Disneys wide stable is Black Pete. He predates Mickey Mouse's introduction in Steamboat Willie by over three years.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Roman Polanski raped a thirteen year old girl and then fled the country before his sentencing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Woody Allen one-upped him.

Tegan and Sankara
May 4, 2009

Trivia: Sean Penn beat and assaulted Madonna
Goof: In the movie 'RocknRolla,' Johnny wants to become 'a real RocknRolla.' However, this is not a sentence any real human would speak.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
John Malkovich will not work with actors who are against, or have ever stated an objection to, the Israeli Zionist state. He will go so far as to have them removed from the cast or he will quit the film completely.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

That *is* a fun fact.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
During production the briefcase in "Pulp Fiction" contained a picture of Uma Thurman's feet.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Johnny 5 was never actually alive

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
There never actually was a Jimmy Stewart. It was just highly advanced puppetry and special effects.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
After viewing a DVD release of Donnie Darko, Harvey successfully sued director Richard Kelly for using both his likeness and life events without authorization as major plot elements in the film. This is why a significantly longer "director's cut" of Donnie Darko that over explains original aspects of the film's "mythos" was released shortly after and was made the default version of the film.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Clerks:
Trivia: Shot entirely in color on VHS tape. Kevin Smith then edited the film on two VCRS then used a film camera set up in front of a B&W television to put it to traditional film stock to save money.

Trivia: The funeral scene was cut from the film because director Kevin Smith had gotten hungry while transferring the movie to film and called Jason Mewes to see if he'd bring some Burger King and weed and also invite him to play some Mortal Kombat. Smith later realized all the audio in the scene had been ruined by the sound of his voice.

Trivia: Smith had originally written the roles of Dante and Randall with Laurence Fishburne and Steve Buscemi in mind after seeing them in King of New York, but the actors were unavailable. Fishburn would later say in an 2009 Vanity Fair interview that he regrets filming the Tuskegee Airmen and Othello and wishes he'd chosen to work with Smith, instead.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Everyone knows that Charles Chaplin lost a Charles Chaplin lookalike contest, but what you may not know is that he once won one as well.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Orson Welles was once offered a role in, of all things, Caligula.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
You might think the scene at the end of Boogie Nights where Wahlberg whips his dick out is real. In fact, in that scene Wahlberg is wearing a fake, prosthetic rubber chin.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 15, 2014

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Originally, the Purple Rose of Cairo ended with Cecilia living happily ever after inside a movie. Allen lost the footage when it was stolen by a jilted ex-lover. He doggedly attempted to reclaim the lost reel from his ex-mistress, but security wouldn't let him into the middle school.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Mike Nichols was hesitant about the Simon & Garfunkel soundtrack for The Graduate and even throughout the mid-1980s considered a director's cut subbing in the Quiet Riot hit "Cum on Feel the Noize" for each instance "Mrs. Robinson" plays, citing that it "more accurately represented the themes [he] wanted the soundtrack to invoke."

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Magnolia asserts that no animals were harmed in the production of the movie, but this is incorrect. One of Jason Robards's dogs had to get his stomach pumped after accidentally swallowing pills spilled by Philip Seymour Hoffman. That same dog later choked to death on a plastic frog in the infamous scene at the end of the film.

:rip: Jason Robards, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and that dog

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
David Fincher's directorial debut was a never-released-in-the-USA music video for the 80s smash 99 Luftballoons, which featured, among other things, a robotic Hitler stomping across Israel, shots of the bombing on Hiroshima, and clips of the original series of Star Trek, interspliced with scenes of a bloated William Shatner assaulting a young arab man in 1978.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

The gaffer on the movie Re-Animator was named Dennis Bishop. Many years ago I committed that to memory for reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

metricchip posted:

The gaffer on the movie Re-Animator was named Dennis Bishop. Many years ago I committed that to memory for reasons.

Do you know any of the PAs? This is very important and I need to know ASAP.

• Locked thread