Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
his kingly woes

On The Waterfront (1954) is a movie and The Sisters Brothers (2011) is a book. Despite this difference the two works have much in common. In this essay I will attempt to prove that these works have similarities and differences.

Both works feature protagonists who work for powerful and evil authority figures, and both feel trapped in this job. Both protagonists live under the shadow of a domineering older brother who manipulated them into this position. At the climax of each story, each younger-brother-protagonist has a realization that their older-brother-protector never cared for them at all, after which the elder brother in each story makes a terrible sacrifice that might contradict this revelation. Finally in both works the two brothers unite against their villainous boss and successfully bring him down.

The similiarities in these works stretch beyond plot elements like these and pervade the formal elements as well. Both younger brother characters have a fondness for animals which is exploited in the final chapter, when the animals dearest to the protagonists die. Both of the evil boss characters use obvious pseudonyms. This is because they represent all tyrants everywhere. Also both of the older brothers are named Charlie, in both the book and the movie.

These works have as many differences as similarities. For example, On The Waterfront is about dock workers and The Sisters Brothers is about cowboys. Unlike Marlon Brando, Eli, the protagonist of the Sisters Brothers, was never a prize fighter. Also there is a priest in On The Waterfront, and there is no equivalent character in the other one.

In conclusion, these two works are different, but have things in common. They also both take place in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bwatts

hi

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Watership down is about rabbits, you idiot

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
Watership Down Syndrome by Undercooked
Homosexual Hazel and epileptic Fiver are about to embark on an amazing journey with their noncommittal friends and not a large resevoir of intelligence. Will they make it through? M for language.
Rated: M - English - Parody/Humor - Chapters: 1 - Words: 964 - Reviews: 11 - Favs: 1 - Follows: 2 - Published: May 1, 2010

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
Courtship and Chaos by Mrs. Bumblebee
Based on TV Series. Bigwig has deep feelings for Fiver and asks to court him which Fiver tells him yes but now Bigwig must fight to protect him from Efrafa who want Fiver for themselves. Will Bigwig be able to protect Fiver or will he lose him to General Woundwort. Read to find out. This does contain Yaoi and Mpreg. You have been warned so if you don't like don't read.
Rated: M - English - Romance/Adventure - Chapters: 28 - Words: 201,958 - Reviews: 63 - Favs: 20 - Follows: 22 - Updated: Feb 14 - Published: Jan 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Luvcow posted:

Homosexual Hazel and epileptic Fiver are about to embark on an amazing journey with their noncommittal friends and not a large resevoir of intelligence. Will they make it through? M for language.

this is kind of the plot of the book, though?

• Locked thread