Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is really weird to me, but I have always held that SH/SC is the best place on the Internet to kibbutz about these stupid machines.

I have a few used laptops that I use Linux on because I don't have the will to subsidize the lifestyles of the people who own stock in consumer electronics goods, but do enjoy helping the secondary market types stay in bread, there's also probably some environmental reasoning bouncing around in my head too.

Anyway, I got a new, to me, laptop today.

System Specs

Old Laptop A: Panasonic Toughbook CF-53

New Laptop B: Lenovo Thinkpad X200

The dilemma:

I pulled a Samsung 64GB SSD* that has worn down to 54GB even though I have swap turned off out of the Toughbook. I think I tear them up with web browser caching... Anyway, I was going to switch the 80GB platter drive out of the Thinkpad and save a few ounces to make the Thinkpad ridiculously light rather than merely quite light.

The issue came in when the SSD wouldn't be recognized by the Thinkpad no matter what I did. It didn't even show up in the BIOS. I thought I'd hosed up and zapped it with static electricity, but I put it back in the Toughbook and the drat thing booted up like nothing was wrong.

A few times during my initial futzing, unpredictably, the Thinkpad booted to a screen where it showed a little password prompt with a geometric cylinder and a padlock, like somehow the HDD was locked or the BIOS was locked to the provided HDD. I scanned through the options, but am not sure what I am looking for in there.

:iiam:

Attempted Fixes:

I put everything back to how it came, installed Linux, and problem solved,:pt: but I'd still like to put the smaller, lighter SSD into the smaller, lighter laptop to make it even lighter, but not really smaller.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. I'm not sure what to google for. I tried some terms that came up in dmesg when I checked out the drive on my desktop, but after some further troubleshooting, that was an issue with my USB->SATA dongle and not the drive itself. I don't even know what to search for on this one.

*Yes, I know that buying anything less than 128 is heresy around here. It was cheap and there is no way in hell I'm going to spend $100 for a drive that goes in a $100 laptop even if it isn't as efficient per gigabyte. I do all of my storage on externals and only use the SSD for incidental caching and for running the OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Did you try wiping the drive (preferably a secure erase) before connecting it to the other machine?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
No. I didn't want to do that in case of failure. I wanted to be able to pop it back in without reinstalling. That seems like a ridiculous step when I was going to cfdisk it, repartition, and format, anyway.

I figure that might solve it... I've done my fair share of

code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=[offending disk]
but the intent of this post isn't to nuke it and rebuild on the rubble, but instead to figure out what is going on.

What series of bits on a drive would that cause a drive to not even show up to the BIOS? I thought that was a hardware / firmware identification and had nothing to do with the data on the drive...

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

What is the BIOS set to in terms of SATA drive-handling on the respective laptops? I've seen drives disappear or not be bootable due to IDE versus AHCI settings, for instance.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
Is it possible the SSD has hardware encryption on it?

• Locked thread