Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I want to make some bone daggers, and carve some tiny runes into the bone.

I know that bone dust is crazy bad for your lungs though, as well as just generally not a pleasant smell. I'm hoping someone else knows about this hobby and can point me towards a respirator and cartridge to help me not die from lung problems, and can give me some tips on the best things to avoid.

I figured I'd get the bones off ebay, and I already have a micro engraver and some dremel etching tips, but since I am a complete newb to this idea any advice is very welcome.

Prep, engraving, tips, dyeing, sealing, etc. Any info is good info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Like most any lung irritant, you need to inhale a whole lot of bone dust for it to become "horrible". The few pieces you're planning won't cause any lasting harm and you can avoid the coughing that could accompany an acute exposure with a dollar store mask or a bandana over your face.

Unless you feel like you absolutely must start with camel bones, you may want to try butcher shops in your area. At one near me I can get full pork bones to give to my dogs for a quarter. It might be quite as cheap where you are, but you can also buy bone-in cuts, eat the meat and then carve the bones.

You might want to try Creative Convention for help with regard to the actual craftsmanship.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was just going to buy deer bones off Ebay. They seem to be cheap enough.

I'm also thinking of carving soapstone, so I wanted to make sure I got a good mask. Granted, I'm pretty sure I don't need one of those 200$ full face meth making respirators, but long term health wise I'd be an idiot not to get something in the 20$ range just to make sure I don't gently caress up anything.

I'll check out CC and see if there's a bone thread. Didn't think about that forum for some reason.

Thanks!

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
I haven't seen any bone-carving threads in CC, but you could check out DIY & Hobbies (CC subforum) for info about carving/crafting/inlaying and that sort of stuff.

I've recently started polishing up seashells I've collected over the years, and read after sanding up a shitstorm of shell dust that I should probably be wearing at least a mask because shell dust, like bone dust, is pretty bad. I figure some cheapo construction dust masks should be fine for sporadic hobby work, probably something better if I get into it more heavily.

Also seconding checking out the butcher shop for some super cheap (and fresh) bones.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They might be cheap, but it's gonna reek pretty horrible if you try to clean em. To me, it's worth the 2-4$ that a deer bone costs if it's already been cleaned up and cured.

If you are doing anything that makes fine fine fine dust, yea you need a mask. Even if it's a lawn one. I bought a box of those cheap harbor freight surgical ones but they didn't do poo poo. That's one of the reasons I'm looking for a decent respirator to work for organics as well as particulates.

20$ ain't much to have for piece of mind when it comes to not messing up your health.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/MSA-Safety-Works-Advantage-420-Pro-Respirator-10123432/203011212

I use this type for all kinds of things. I keep spare cartridges. Theres lawn mowing, wood work, stone work, spraying toxic rear end chemicals. Its a great little mask, and the best thing about it is the way its built its very easy to breath in and does not get hot even when its 100+ outside. I have some antlers laying around and can grab a cutting disc and saw through them to see how well it keeps away the smell if you want.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Awesome!

If it isn't too much trouble, can you?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
ok. Did it in the garage with no doors or anything open so no draft to clean up the air. There was a very slight smell but no where near as strong as if I had been going at it open mouth and open nose. I used a dremel grinding blade on high speed so it was tossing up a lot of bone dust into the air even with that there was no taste of it in my moth from breathing it in so I doubt much if any particles at all got through the filter. I did have to clean the outside of the mask and give the filters a knock out afterwards but I do that with almost everything I work with.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Awesome! Thanks for the beta test :)

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Have fun making the first blade!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Darth Freddy posted:

Have fun making the first blade!

Nah, already got that in resin :)

Gonna just try to make some lovecraftian looking bone daggers with some runes etched in there.

I have a cassowary blade from papua new guinea and it's pretty neat, and I wanna add a few to the collection.

Plus, black bone blade from Sandman Slim :)

• Locked thread