Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

not have to manually look for them amidst the hundred articles a day places are being forced to spit out for SEO.

MacRumors has become the worst for this. I'm interested in the high-level news but the amount of spam they push out for clicks makes it a real janitoring job even in an RSS reader.

"People start receiving the devices they pre-ordered", "Upcoming low-end device might depreciate faster than high-end device", how is this news or rumours? :argh:

Anyone have a suggestion for a good, low volume Apple-based news site? Or (as it seems) is everything heading this way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i self host freshrss and read it on my phone with reeder, my lil rss server can scrape anything and also prefilter my rss feeds to kick out crap i don't want it rules

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

xzzy posted:

The problem with RSS is sources regularly mess with the URL or straight up delete it so it turns into a janitor job trying to keep things going. Some of them farm it out to some kind of periodic scraping service and there can be a 24 hour delay before it actually hits your feed.

It's a cool idea and I've used it for 20 years but the modern internet has kinda ruined it.

I use rss daily and this rarely happens to me. Maybe a few times a year. anyway lire.app ftw

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I signed up for a lifetime Feedly account after Google Reader went away and I use Reeder as my app on iOS and Mac OS because I don't like the official Feedly app. The Feedly web app is fine, I was able to set it up so it behaves exactly the way I had it set up in GReader (RIP).

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I recently found a fun app that generates a fake email account and makes a feed out of newsletter articles you feed to it via said email account.

Cool Uncle
Dec 23, 2011
What app?

I've been doing that with Readwise Reader. I don't like using it much because I don't understand the workflow. I want to archive things as I see them, but the app seems to want me to mark articles as seen, which leaves them cluttering up my inbox.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
I'm guessing Omnivore? I started using it recently too. Open source read-it-later service/app, with the added ability to get email newsletters and rss feeds.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Sorry, by "app" I meant "self hosted service": https://github.com/leafac/kill-the-newsletter

They do have a standalone version you can use but I forget what the restrictions there are: https://kill-the-newsletter.com/

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Clark Nova posted:

Apple News is only really good for seeing what The Discourse™ in mainstream media is for today and if the discourse includes topics or outlets you don't want to see then you're hosed. You cannot opt out.

Also I can't believe they turn on news notifications by default because there is no way that does anything for anybody except make their day worse. Beep beep, a bunch of loving people just died horribly!

Yeah I wish Apple News was a little more customizable. There’s a lot of unfiltered propaganda there.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I have a very strange new problem. If anyone sends me an instagram link, so far in WhatsApp or iMessage, I get to see a fraction of a second of the video and then it switches to a different video.

Normally just go back to messaging app and click again and it usually works, but now I’ve got a link that refuses to open and I get a different video every time.

Very very strange.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Demon_Corsair posted:

I have a very strange new problem. If anyone sends me an instagram link, so far in WhatsApp or iMessage, I get to see a fraction of a second of the video and then it switches to a different video.

Normally just go back to messaging app and click again and it usually works, but now I’ve got a link that refuses to open and I get a different video every time.

Very very strange.

Same has been happening to me for the past few weeks

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’m taking a ton of pictures and want each one to have a Brightness +10 and Color Saturation +25.

Is there an app or a way in Photos to just make this a setting? Going in there one-by-one is a full-time job.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fly Ricky posted:

I’m taking a ton of pictures and want each one to have a Brightness +10 and Color Saturation +25.

Is there an app or a way in Photos to just make this a setting? Going in there one-by-one is a full-time job.

Get a wizard to cast “enchant any item” on your camera.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Fly Ricky posted:

Possibly a shortcut that sets all photos you choose like that?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Fly Ricky posted:

Depends how many a ton of photos really is..

You’d still have to go into each one (so there might still be a better solution) but there is a “Copy Edits” option in the 3-dot menu once you’re in the editing UI. Once they’re copied you don’t have to go into edit mode, you can just paste the edits from the main 3-dot menu on the photo.

Edit: actually once they’re copied you can apply it to a multi-select from the grid view which is far quicker.

Froist fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 21, 2024

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Arivia posted:

Get a wizard to cast “enchant any item” on your camera.

My first thought as well. I rolled and failed.

Froist posted:

Depends how many a ton of photos really is..

You’d still have to go into each one (so there might still be a better solution) but there is a “Copy Edits” option in the 3-dot menu once you’re in the editing UI. Once they’re copied you don’t have to go into edit mode, you can just paste the edits from the main 3-dot menu on the photo.

Edit: actually once they’re copied you can apply it to a multi-select from the grid view which is far quicker.

Fantastic! Thank you so much.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My iOS to Imgur upload shortcut seems to have broken, anyone know a good share sheet shortcut for photo sharing (to whatever free service, not sure if imgur is still the best option)

Also is there an iOS shortcut thread here?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

priznat posted:

My iOS to Imgur upload shortcut seems to have broken, anyone know a good share sheet shortcut for photo sharing (to whatever free service, not sure if imgur is still the best option)

I don't have any shortcuts but I highly recommend postimages.org for uploading pictures (not videos) for posting here. It is very direct on just presenting the links you need to copy/paste to show your image on forums etc.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Swing by the Awful app thread. We have shortcuts for days.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

priznat posted:

Warbird posted:

Swing by the Awful app thread. We have shortcuts for days.

Look at the last pages of that thread or the iPhone thread. You'll know you're in the right place when you see pictures of cattes and doggos.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 21, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Awesome thanks. Will move over to postimages.org asap!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Can someone tell me what the expected behavior is when using Gmail/Calendar as your provider while using Mail.app and Calendar.app on iOS is for accepting calendar invites?

For many years I used the Google service AND apps on my phone. Now I’m started using the default iOS apps and when I’m on desktop is use Gmail.com.

When I get an invite in mail am I supposed to tap the ics and then add to calendar? Does that send a response to the sender? Am I only supposed to accept invites in Calendar? Sometimes I see the invite first in Mail and sometimes in Calendar.

I really want to use the default apps but this seems overly clunky.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
My parents always find the strangest problems. They have two iPads, both using the same mail accounts. As far as I can tell all the settings are identical. Yet one iPad can only receive emails and not send them.

The error I see is strange, as it says the user name or password is incorrect for email@smtp.domain.net. Not sure why the smtp is added in like that.

Edit: also big lol that the new outlook (on windows) no longer supports accounts where the log in name is different from the email address. It’s been a fun morning of email tech support.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 24, 2024

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Do any of the parcel tracking apps let me get update notifications without requiring a subscription? Happy to pay a one off fee but I’m pretty sick of everything being subscription services now.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Question Mark Mound posted:

Do any of the parcel tracking apps let me get update notifications without requiring a subscription? Happy to pay a one off fee but I’m pretty sick of everything being subscription services now.

I swear someone asked the same question before and I typed the same response but of all the things that require a subscription something like Parcel makes the most sense and I don’t believe you could do it sustainably for a one time fee. Or you sacrifice privacy with something like Shop.

The dev will have API fees to pay to the providers that offer that, and have to perform and maintain scraping for the hundreds of global providers that don’t.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That was me and yes you did.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Alternatively I've found that just signing up for their email and/or sms tracking is "good enough" and I don't really need it updated in real time in a shiny app.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Alternatively I've found that just signing up for their email and/or sms tracking is "good enough" and I don't really need it updated in real time in a shiny app.

Yeah this

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yeah I absolutely hate subscriptions as a trend but Parcel is £3 per year which is the only reasonably-priced subscription I’ve ever seen

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm in Canada so maybe it's different where you all live but tracking is always wildly off for me. I'll have stuff delivered that says it's still in another province on the tracking info, or I'll get a delivery notification for something that arrives two hours later because the guy delivering poo poo wanted to improve his delivery timing metrics in whatever hellscape capitalist software he's being forced to use. This is with Canada Post, Purolator, Amazon, pretty much any tracking.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

TACD posted:

Yeah I absolutely hate subscriptions as a trend but Parcel is £3 per year which is the only reasonably-priced subscription I’ve ever seen
Didn’t realise it was that cheap! I don’t get a lot of parcels these days but that’s tempting at that price. I assumed it was like everything else and ended up over a hundred of pounds every year for something that used to be a fiver one-off.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I'm in Canada so maybe it's different where you all live but tracking is always wildly off for me. I'll have stuff delivered that says it's still in another province on the tracking info, or I'll get a delivery notification for something that arrives two hours later because the guy delivering poo poo wanted to improve his delivery timing metrics in whatever hellscape capitalist software he's being forced to use. This is with Canada Post, Purolator, Amazon, pretty much any tracking.

Yeah for me purolator is the worst. It will go from “left shipping depot” (usually Brampton) and then not change to anything else until 3 days after it has actually arrived.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TACD posted:

Yeah I was bummed when Deliveries went to poo poo but with the exception of no web interface to link your account to check on my laptop Parcel does the job well.

edit: I especially like that you can link your amazon account with Parcel and when you order something and it ships, Parcel will automatically add it to the list so you can track it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah I was bummed when Deliveries went to poo poo but with the exception of no web interface to link your account to check on my laptop Parcel does the job well.
It has a Mac app as well

It looks like it’s now £4.50 a year now, I guess I’m grandfathered in at the old price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TACD posted:

It has a Mac app as well

It looks like it’s now £4.50 a year now, I guess I’m grandfathered in at the old price

Oh cool, thanks!