Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

docbeard posted:

If I could find a version of Scrivener that had cloud-based saves and an Android app I would have one less excuse not to be writing all the drat time.

If it had cloud access, or if it could be synced up to google drive, that would make it perfect. As it is, it's pretty drat good anyway.

I'm glad you're finding it useful, Maugrim! Anything that reduces the non-writing bits of writing helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

... oh, I somehow managed to miss the introduction of an entirely new OS into the market. Pardon me, need to turn in my geek card.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Remora posted:

... oh, I somehow managed to miss the introduction of an entirely new OS into the market. Pardon me, need to turn in my geek card.

No worries. And sorry if my post read as harsh. It wasn't intend to be.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
i use Scrivener and dropbox; so it's backed up.

And this year I didn't win. On the plus side, I'm still married, I've got some work lined up, and all in all, gently caress November 2014.

gently caress November 2014 to hell.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
Next time I'm bringing a typewriter to the write-ins.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

XIII posted:

NaNoWriMo winners can get Scrivener for half off.

This I did not know. Gonna check that out right now, thanks.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Even if you didn't win, you can get 20% off by using NANOWRIMO which is pretty nice.

I was surprised last night to see the number of kind of vanity presses/self-pub assists promoting themselves in the "goodies" page. I imagine the next month or two could be a pretty profitable time for them.

Pretty unrelated, but what helped me most this month was having someone to bounce ideas off of and who would also point out places where I had omitted some connecting scene or information. That helped me have enough inspiration/material to run through without falling back on meandering, expository vomit. It was a good reminder that writing isn't and doesn't need to be a solo activity done in a vacuum. Did anyone else find any techniques/mind sets particularly helpful in starting/maintaining output?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
In 2012, winners could actually get 3 copies of your novel published for free. I didn't cash in on it since I wanted to edit the thing into something readable, and didn't get around to it by the deadline. It was a pretty nuts prize either way.

I pretty much flamed out and stopped cold halfway through, at a little over 26k words. I guess the 24 hour thing really drained me, and by the time I had energy again, I didn't want to catch up. It's still about 20k more words than I would have written otherwise, I got some new story ideas out of it, and made some friends along the way! :toot:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^Yeah, this year you can get two free. You have until June, so I'd like to try and take advantage of it. I wouldn't ever try to actually get this thing published for real, but it would be kind of cool to have a copy of a thing I wrote on my bookshelf. Maybe then my dad would love me.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Alright, it's been long enough. I'm gonna revise and polish my winning entry for, like, 2009, but I've never done it before. I've got all my training in art and comics, not English.

I guess my plan is, since they are all mysteries, to go through first and just fix spelling and grammar while keeping notes to help keep the continuity clean. Maybe add explanations or strike through bullcrap that the story doesn't need.

Don't know what's after that, tho. Any suggestions from actual writers?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Get someone else to read it once you think you have something worthwhile. It's hard, but having other eyes on your story is generally pretty helpful - ideally people who have read (or even written) a lot of books and can give you advice about pacing, what's helping the story and what they skimmed through, words you're overusing without realising it, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Grimwit posted:

Alright, it's been long enough. I'm gonna revise and polish my winning entry for, like, 2009, but I've never done it before. I've got all my training in art and comics, not English.

I guess my plan is, since they are all mysteries, to go through first and just fix spelling and grammar while keeping notes to help keep the continuity clean. Maybe add explanations or strike through bullcrap that the story doesn't need.

Don't know what's after that, tho. Any suggestions from actual writers?

Make a thread in CC and post excerpts. I wouldn't post the full text or anything too huge or no one will read it. You see the Quantum Mann thread is getting some responses, but the text is way too long so it's not too many.

• Locked thread