Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
From the very beginning playing 2-player Mario Kart on the SNES I owned scrubs. Throughout all my years of gaming I've owned scrubs.

I never stopped. That's how I know I'm a gamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

when i was 6 i got to the last boss in contra with my mom as P2 and she died and i beat the game without her and said i don't need you anymore

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
The first time someone told me how hard Battletoads was and refused to believe me when I said I beat the game.

I was 8. I knew that day I was just better at games than most. Since then I have never played local with anyone that could compete. It sucks being good/only having friends that suck. Still nobody believes that I beat Battletoads when I was 5/6.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The first time I tried Insurance Fraud in Saints Row 2 and got a decent combo going.

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014
I love gaming more and more each day OP.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
When I was 16 a really good friend of mine got leukemia.

It was a scary time and none of us (his best friends) knew what to do, how could we? We were young and not equipped to deal with such a massive event although we tried.

He spent more and more time in hospital as his condition got worse, sometimes weeks at at time and even though we had no money we got on the bus to make the long journey to visit him enough times to realise that the boredom was crippling him, he had a TV sure but not much else. He was alone, often bored, in pain, and often scared.

At the time the Super Nintendo had just come out and one of us (I forget who) came up with a crazy idea.

We would buy him one.

We knew we couldn't afford it, no where near but every lunch time at school we would pool together our lunch money and put it in a plastic tub, it was never much but we did what we could. Missing lunch was no big deal.

Then people began to hear about what we were doing and a trickle of people began to track us down every lunch time and drop their lunch money in the tub.

A trickle became a stream became a torrent and over the next few weeks that tub filled up with coins, every day we would count it and every day we got closer to our goal. People gave that had nothing, literal pocket fluff in the tub. Kids saying nothing as they dropped money in, usually just giving a nod or a smile.

I remember the day we met our target, it was overcast and cold outside but as we counted the money we felt warm, excited and pretty emotional.

Our parents helped us change the money into notes at the bank and that weekend we bought it - a brand new Super Nintendo with two pads and Mario Kart.

The day that we delivered it to the hospital where our friend was is seared into my memory, it will never leave me. He was happy to see us as always and we passed over a huge plastic bag with the console inside, he looked confused by this and opened it.

As he peered inside the bag he did something I had never seen him do before, he cried - we all did.

And as we told him how we raised the money, just as the people who donated had done the tears went from being a trickle to a torrent, these were happy tears and that made it all worth while.

Man he could kick anyones rear end playing Battle Mode, he got enough practice on that ward, enough time. And it did the trick, it helped with the boredom.

I'll never forget the day he died, it broke our hearts. We had no way of coping, none of us. We were too young and his family too devastated.

But I'll always remember his face the day he got his Super Nintendo and I'll always treasure those times he kicked my rear end in Battle Mode.

That is my 'Gamer Moment' thank you for reading.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 4, 2014

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i traded in my nexus 7 for a link between worlds 3dsXL

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i was born a gamer

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

peter gabriel posted:

It was a scary time and none of us (his best friends) knew what to do, how could we? We were young and not equipped to deal with such a massive event although we tried.

He spent more and more time in hospital as his condition got worse, sometimes weeks at at time and even though we had no money we got on the bus to make the long journey to visit him enough times to realise that the boredom was crippling him, he had a TV sure but not much else. He was alone, often bored, in pain, and often scared.

At the time the Super Nintendo had just come out and one of us (I forget who) came up with a crazy idea.

We would buy him one.

We knew we couldn't afford it, no where near but every lunch time at school we would pool together our lunch money and put it in a plastic tub, it was never much but we did what we could. Missing lunch was no big deal.

Then people began to hear about what we were doing and a trickle of people began to track us down every lunch time and drop their lunch money in the tub.

A trickle became a stream became a torrent and over the next few weeks that tub filled up with coins, every day we would count it and every day we got closer to our goal. People gave that had nothing, literal pocket fluff in the tub. Kids saying nothing as they dropped money in, usually just giving a nod or a smile.

I remember the day we met our target, it was overcast and cold outside but as we counted the money we felt warm, excited and pretty emotional.

Our parents helped us change the money into notes at the bank and that weekend we bought it - a brand new Super Nintendo with two pads and Mario Kart.

The day that we delivered it to the hospital where our friend was is seared into my memory, it will never leave me. He was happy to see us as always and we passed over a huge plastic bag with the console inside, he looked confused by this and opened it.

As he peered inside the bag he did something I had never seen him do before, he cried - we all did.

And as we told him how we raised the money, just as the people who donated had done the tears went from being a trickle to a torrent, these were happy tears and that made it all worth while.

Man he could kick anyones rear end playing Battle Mode, he got enough practice on that ward, enough time. And it did the trick, it helped with the boredom.

I'll never forget the day he died, it broke our hearts. We had no way of coping, none of us. We were too young and his family too devastated.

But I'll always remember his face the day he got his Super Nintendo and I'll always treasure those times he kicked my rear end in Battle Mode.

*pours a health potion out for a lost homie*

downrightwack
Dec 31, 2009

Ristolaz posted:

When kids at school made fun of me but Mario didn't.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

peter gabriel posted:

We would buy him one.

lightin up the vape for your bro's memory

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ristolaz posted:

When kids at school made fun of me but Mario didn't.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

We would buy him one.

so Sad, mak U cry :cry:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Chip's Challenge. Windows 95.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

peter gabriel posted:

We would buy him one.

:(
rest in gamer heaven gamer friend

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

peter gabriel posted:

We would buy him one.

Thank you for sharing this Peter Gabriel and I'm sure your friend is owning the saints in Battle Mode in heaven.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

when my friends grandparents bought him little big adventure 2 for his birthday and gave him during the party when I and other kids were present, and out of shame that my (grand)parents wouldn't ever think about buying me one I left his house, and no one noticed because they were around PC

lba 2 is a terrible game also

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Squelch Hardon posted:

I sucked Marios dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Buschmaki posted:

Thank you for sharing this Peter Gabriel and I'm sure your friend is owning the saints in Battle Mode in heaven.

I think you're right :)

• Locked thread