Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wit
Jul 26, 2011
I think it would work really well. The last vote on anything rules-ish hinted that shitposters are a noisy spammy minority and lurkers are fairly level headed. Totally opens up the possibility of sub forums "invading" and brigading things like reddit keyboard warriors, but much better than my current system of loading the profile of and ignoring everyone that types a cool dude meme. Its better to highlight good stuff than try and drown out the whitenoise.

Math-wise make sure it can't be gamed by editing the default posts per thread in a user's options and making that 5 posts per page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
In TCC, it should just be called "lights". Cause they're already high. HAHA

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
a cool dude meme

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

woozle wuzzle posted:

In TCC, it should just be called "lights". Cause they're already high. HAHA

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

I'm so down 'tax - can I beta test it?

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp

Schweinhund posted:

how do you turn off other people circlejerking dummy

By ignoring it like a goddamn adult

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot

McGlockenshire posted:

This sounds like an interesting idea, but please please please don't ever expose the score information or even allow filtering that would let people guess what the scores are.

Read or at least skim this study on internet comments and voting behavior (PDF). Upvoting just increases the circlejerk factor and downvoting just makes trolls troll harder. These are things that everyone already knows, but now it's in a freaking paper.

this guy actually cited an academic source to support his argument on how new features ought to be implemented on the somethingawful.com comedy forums. tip o' th' hat

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot

Momohime Katsumi posted:

this guy actually cited an academic source to support his argument on how new features ought to be implemented on the somethingawful.com comedy forums. tip o' th' hat

i managed to "highlight" this guy's autism by quoting his post and then summarizing what he did in a way as to make it obvious

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
thinking about the consequences of a decision sure is lame, right guys?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Momohime Katsumi posted:

um the correct form is "tip o' th' cap"

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Momohime Katsumi posted:

Jesus gently caress it's a trilby you unsophisticated plebeian.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

i want a forums feature where i can place my iphone 6 into my buttcheeks and clench and it creates a thread in GBS based on topics that are trending on twitter

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
rather than have a binary 'like' or 'don't like', why not have a series of buttons for useful threads:

-Agree
-Respectfully Disagree
-Informative!
-Late, but useful!
-Spergy
-Funny
-poo poo Post
-Troll

and you can sort a thread based on these attributes as well as time posted.

great, i seriousposted this late in a thread. But I feel it was useful.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
For those of you not using the mobile / experimental view (which is everybody), I have added the feature which highlights when people quote you. Might want to try it out!

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

Lowtax posted:

For those of you not using the mobile / experimental view (which is everybody), I have added the feature which highlights when people quote you. Might want to try it out!

Am I highlighted??

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Megafunk posted:

Am I highlighted??
Since I am not you, no. I'm talking about the feature in SALR where your own quotes show up as a different color. However, if you enable mobile browsing / experimental, you will see yourself highlighted in this reply.

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001
Hey lowtax since you're here, have you considered selling official SA merch again? I feel like we're ready. (offtopic)

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
definitely charge extra money for any potential forum enhancing features, that way everyone can have what they want (or dont want) and u can feel good about modernizing the place and of course make bookoo bucks doing so

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Lowtax posted:

i used the mobile view the other day after i accidentally deleted awfulapp and i was waiting in line at the grocery store and it worked, so i am very excited about these new developments

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Lowtax posted:

Since I am not you, no. I'm talking about the feature in SALR where your own quotes show up as a different color. However, if you enable mobile browsing / experimental, you will see yourself highlighted in this reply.

i love u

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I legitimately think its worthwhile. Its not like I wont read the other posts or anything so there won't be much downside to this, but I do specifically avoid extremely long threads I didn't follow from the beginning because I dont want to wade through all of it.

I mean there doesn't seem much to lose. It's parallels to upvoting can't be ignored but that doesn't make it lovely because we're "like them" plus it doesn't actually push other posts to any other position

For example in this thread I'm probably not going to read 11 pages of it, but if I could see the "highlights" or ideas and suggestions that more people liked over others I might get more invested and read more thoroughly

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Momohime Katsumi posted:

i managed to "highlight" this guy's autism by quoting his post and then summarizing what he did in a way as to make it obvious

Science is truly the worst form of autism

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot

I Am A Robot posted:

Science is truly the worst form of autism

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I didn't go to college, can you explain this chart ?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Don Tacorleone posted:

I didn't go to college, can you explain this chart ?

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

wow cool, I'm at the top, I think that's a good thing! :)

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

this is a positive thread

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

wit posted:

I think it would work really well. The last vote on anything rules-ish hinted that shitposters are a noisy spammy minority and lurkers are fairly level headed. Totally opens up the possibility of sub forums "invading" and brigading things like reddit keyboard warriors, but much better than my current system of loading the profile of and ignoring everyone that types a cool dude meme. Its better to highlight good stuff than try and drown out the whitenoise.

Math-wise make sure it can't be gamed by editing the default posts per thread in a user's options and making that 5 posts per page.

maybe the people who decide the gbs rules should be the people who post in it not the people who read it.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Nanomashoes posted:

maybe the people who decide the gbs rules should be the people who post in it not the people who read it.

that's pretty much the case now, quit being a whiny bitch

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sex Robot posted:

Redundant IMO. God OPs update the first post with the important poo poo. All that will happen is someone will post ascii goatse and it will be highlighted.

no one reads ops.

on forums like gbs, it'd be weird and kind of useless. it might be nifty in like a&t, gws, or the arts forums.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
with the coming anniversary of nu-gbs I think you should roll ur sleeves up and give us a rousing state of the forums speech on ur youtube channel, reflecting on the past year, your feelings towards how things have gone, and what you have in mind for the future...id be great and would probably watch it

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Mariana Horchata posted:

with the coming anniversary of nu-gbs I think you should roll ur sleeves up and give us a rousing state of the forums speech on ur youtube channel, reflecting on the past year, your feelings towards how things have gone, and what you have in mind for the future...id be great and would probably watch it

I would love that because he would probably get Shmorky in there and everybody always gets their panties in a wad about the Shmork

the reactions alone would be worth it

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Mariana Horchata posted:

And do it while sitting on your toilet, and have there be funny "ploop" noises every now and then during your serious and rousing speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'd have it like have a subtle dim yellow glow barely visible on one quote, going up to a garish ammonia stain yellow at ten quotes

• Locked thread