Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Sucrose posted:

JFC North Korea is in even worse shape than I thought it was. Has anyone read this article? I knew it was bad, but I guess I didn’t realize just how bad:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/bskbb4rmae/inside-north-korea

The only other country I know of with conditions this bad is Somalia, maybe Yemen if conditions haven’t improved there since fighting has died down.

Also, I was ignorant to the fact that apparently most the men in the country work during the day in what is basically compulsory slave-labor, since they’re paid too minuscule of an amount to feed their families, and thus in most North Korean families the wife works as the main breadwinner in the informal market economy.

Yeah, it seems like this has the worst it's been since the famines of the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Charlz Guybon posted:

Lol, the Jajangmyeon served at that restaurant serving as a front for CCP secret police is the most pathetic I've ever seen.

https://www.reddit.com/r/korea/comm...nt=share_button

I remember first seeing this and thinking that it was an absolute crime, and that at least when it was the mob you got the occasional amazing pizza or italian joint, but the best china can do is ... this

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Been a lot of spree stabbings lately in Korea.

If gun control wasn't incredibly tight the bodies would be stacked up sky high

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The World Scout Jamboree was set to happen in Jeolla and has been a complete debacle. The organizers + Jeolla government made completely inadequate preparations, and that's been compounded by a 100 degree heatwave; thousands of scouts have fallen ill and a whole bunch hospitalized, and after a bunch of countries started pulling out their scouts early the entire event got canceled ahead of a typhoon that just touched down. Now there's like 45,000 scouts scrambling to get out of the country early causing entirely predictable (but not accommodated) chaos.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/08/09/south-korea-scout-jamboree-heatwave-preparations/

It's hard to do it justice, it just keeps getting worse and worse. It got set up on a patch of reclaimed mudflats and the local Jeolla government was eager to push the event as a marketing thing for their new development, to the point it seems like in spite of this event being planned for like half a decade, most of the planning went into that, with the event spaces only getting started on in 2022, and not remotely finished in time; with the summer humidity and heatwave, it turned right back into a swamp.
It's all been kind of baffling and infuriating; it's like the worst parts of Korean management culture on display at a world event. There's a lot of hand wringing going on now about how this is gonna tarnish Korea's national image and the government is having to put on emergency support measures.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 9, 2023

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2023/08/281_356611.html

quote:

According to data provided by the North Jeolla Provincial Government, about 74 percent of the total 117.1 billion won, which amounts to about 87 billion won, was spent on the operation of the organizing committee. This includes spending for travel arrangements and a K-pop concert which is set to be held during the closing ceremony.

quote:

Speculation is also emerging that government officials wasted the budget on business trips with no apparent relevance to the Jamboree.

According to data from the Ministry of Personnel Management, officials from related bodies including the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family, North Jeolla Provincial Government and Buan County made some 100 overseas business trips over the last six years citing preparations for the Jamboree.

In May 2018, five provincial government officials went on an eight-day trip to Switzerland and Italy with the aim to study "successful management cases of the Jamboree event." But these European countries have never hosted a Jamboree.

In October 2019, four Buan County officials traveled to London and France for 10 days in preparation for the Jamboree. London has not hosted the quadrennial festival since the inaugural event was held there in 1920, and the last Jamboree hosted by France was in 1947 in Moisson.

Ah, well then.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20240411006300315?section=national/politics

Not quite as desive as hoped, but still quite the whipping. 175 seats for Democrats, 12 for rebuilding Korea. Basically 192 anti-Yoon seats. Tantalizingly close to the 200 needed to be Veto proof.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Given his general shittiness was there any one thing in particular that saw this defeat or was it just his overall demeanor?

And going forward will he really be able to do much? I admit I'm pretty bad with the day to day business of how the Korean parliament functions.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Given his general shittiness was there any one thing in particular that saw this defeat or was it just his overall demeanor?

And going forward will he really be able to do much? I admit I'm pretty bad with the day to day business of how the Korean parliament functions.
He vetoed a corruption investigation into his wife. The Incheon Halloween Crush happened under his watch. Cost of living is still high.

The democrats have had a large majority since the beginning of his term. He's just been vetoing their bills and that is going to continue. He'll have spent his whole term as a lame duck.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 11, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Given he was proclaimed the King of the Incels before becoming president I'm glad he's been unable to do much. I heard that his only good quality was thawing relations with Japan, but at the expense of downplaying Japan's 20th century atrocities, which rather outweighs the economic good in my opinion.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Oh yeah, there were big doctors strikes and resignations as well, I'm sure that hurt him.

https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20240412050604

Hilariously, his plan to increase med-school enrollment is probably the only good proposal of his entire administration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Charlz Guybon posted:

Hilariously, his plan to increase med-school enrollment is probably the only good proposal of his entire administration

I really hope he’s a stubborn bastard and pushes this through.