Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Problem description: I came home yesterday, woke my system up, and got no display. Restarted and everything appeared fine in Windows for a minute or so, but then heard the device connect/disconnect sound and then no display again. When running in safe mode or with the video drivers uninstalled, it displays as expected, but when I install video drivers, Windows starts but with no display.

The BIOS is also not displaying properly since this started, only showing maybe 2/3 of total display with the bottom and right portions cut off.

Attempted fixes: I've hopelessly flailed around with a lot of things - reseating the video card, switching PCIE slots, going down to one stick of RAM and switching slots, newer drivers, older drivers, reinstalling chipset drivers, fresh install of Windows on a new SSD, no dice.

I initially assumed it was a video card problem, but after trying an old GTX 460, the BIOS will display properly, but again once video drivers are installed all I get is no display in Windows.
I've also made sure it's nothing silly like a resolution problem or defaulting to a second display that's not connected, that's not the case.

One thing I still need to do is test the video card in another system.

Recent changes: I installed a new SSD a day before this started. Everything was working as expected, had no issues.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64 bit

System specs: Asus P8Z77-V LK Motherboard, i5-3570k, 2 x 4GB G.SKILL RAM, EVGA GTX 660Ti, XFX TS Series P1550SXXB9 550W PSU, 2 Samsung 840 SSDs

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes and Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Well, I tested the video card in another system and it seems it is indeed dead. It's now out for an RMA. I'm still troubled by this 460 not working in my system either, though. Will probably just order a new mobo and RMA the current one, then try to sell the replacement.

Any thoughts on this course of action, and what could have killed my slot(s) and card?

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014
Do you use a UPS? Power spikes can do mean things.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
Are you sure the SSD isn't the problem? Try booting from your old hard disk. Also, it might have just been bad luck with static discharge when installing the SSD.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Skandranon posted:

Are you sure the SSD isn't the problem? Try booting from your old hard disk. Also, it might have just been bad luck with static discharge when installing the SSD.

Yeah I tried booting from Windows installs on each disk, same problem either way. Generally I'm mindful of static discharge but I guess that's a possibility. Didn't feel or hear anything that I can remember though.

As for the UPS, I thought having a decent surge protector was good enough. Really I think my lovely motherboard just decided to go and take my video card with it.

In any event I have replacements on the way for both and I'll post an update in here if necessary.

• Locked thread