Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

quote:

It didn’t take much for me to justify $350 for an Oculus Rift DK2—after all, I told myself, the consumer version of the virtual reality headset won’t be out for a year or so, and I’ve spent far more on video cards that I’ve kept for less time before upgrading.

Don’t think about the credit card. Just hit the purchase button.

So I did, and now I’m pretty sure my eyeballs are going to fall out of my head.

Okay, that’s probably an exaggeration. However, I most definitely am running into some weird issues with how the device’s 1920x1080 Samsung AMOLED display affects my everyday vision. With the Rift fitted properly against my face, the normally too-tiny-to-see pixel grid of the display is clearly visible, and staring at that grid for hours at a time is burning the pattern into my retinas, like a Pac-Man maze making a permanent impression on a CRT monitor.

One problem with describing issues like this is that the Rift is a lot like the Matrix: you kind of have to see it for yourself. There’s no really good way to capture in still pictures or video exactly what wearers see when they strap one of these things to their faces (this site when set to 1920x1080 and low persistence has a fair approximation of what the Rift DK2 looks like, but it’s not quite right—the pixels stand out a lot more). So, unfortunately, I can’t actually show you what I’m seeing when I close my eyes right now, but I’ll try to describe it.

I’ve been playing Elite: Dangerous, which to me offers the most compelling Oculus Rift experience currently available. The game’s developers spent a great deal of time ensuring that the latest Elite beta works well with the Rift, and the results are jaw-dropping—it feels like you’re sitting in a spaceship. You look around and the cockpit has weight and depth. You can turn around and look over your shoulder at the hallway door behind you. You can crane your neck and peer through your roof window to get an idea of what’s above and behind your ship. It’s just bloody amazing.

It’s so amazing, in fact, that I’ve been spending many, many hours immersed in the game, running missions and trading and upgrading my ship. The sense of immersiveness and sheer presence that the Rift gives makes even mundane tasks like running cargo between two outposts an awesome experience. With the Rift on my face, time just flies.
Enlarge / Things like stars and planets have a vast, difficult-to-describe hugeness to them in 3D.

But even 1920x1080 isn’t that high a resolution when the screen is centimeters from your eyes, and the lenses necessary to focus the screen make it look like you’re sitting inches from a TV (as many of us oldsters used to do when watching Saturday morning cartoons). The individual pixel elements of the screen are clearly visible in a grid or "screen door" pattern. The image itself is quite fluid as it changes, but the bright dots making up the picture themselves don’t move.

I can still faintly see this grid right now when I squeeze my eyes shut, in spite of the fact that I’ve had a solid night’s sleep. It’s superimposed over the usual retina noise I get when I close my eyes—or perhaps it’s better to say that it’s a very prominent part of the noise. It’s definitely less prominent than it was last night after a five-hour gaming session, but it’s still there.

As Gaming Editor Kyle Orland has told me, this should only be a temporary problem; the current Rift DK2 is already hopelessly outclassed by newer prototypes from Oculus. The consumer version, when it eventually launches, should look even better, with an ultra high-resolution display that won’t have any (or very little) noticeable screen-dooring. However, at least for now, don’t stare too hard or too long into the Rift DK2—it’ll do freaky things to your vision.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go. My Cobra Mk III is fueled up, and this consignment of superconductors isn’t going to deliver itself.

oculus rift is an epic fail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:firstpost:

but with an oculus rift instead of sunglasses

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

thats nothing, i spent five hours jacked into your mum, op, and i have permanent brain damage and a restrainign order

pram
Jun 10, 2001
third post

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Widdiful posted:

thats nothing, i spent five hours jacked into your mum, op, and i have permanent brain damage and a restrainign order

Haha

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really wanna try it but that post kinda scares me

like a "I just tried heroin " trip report. idk if I want to expose my brain to something that makes me so engrossed in sitting in a fake spaceship

otoh I can't wait to get jacked into the matrix and have a reanimated Steve jobs sucking my e-cock POV style, I can run my hands through his hair while Tim cool kneels on te ground behind him eating out his cancer ridden rear end in a top hat

this is what computes were invented for

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

you're worrying me again

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not the one programming those kinds of fetish simulators

how can we profit from it now? let's pour our money into Rifetish.com and hire ppl to make these sick games and make sick cash

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

echinopsis posted:

otoh I can't wait to get jacked into the matrix and have a reanimated Steve jobs sucking my e-cock POV style, I can run my hands through his hair while Tim cool kneels on te ground behind him eating out his cancer ridden rear end in a top hat

i would not want a dad like you, echidnapiss

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

that's gross, echopenis

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Widdiful posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i would not want a dad like you, echidnapiss

:cry:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

burn a grid onto your retinas. totally retro-80's

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

im not sure if youll make much money if its steve jobs maybe try someone who isnt rotting atm, ecchi no penis

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
MY FIVE HOUR OCULUS GAMING SESSION

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Widdiful posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Widdiful posted:

im not sure if youll make much money if its steve jobs maybe try someone who isnt rotting atm, ecchi no penis

welp the "gently caress a dead celeb" app will only come with Brittany murphy built in and Steve jobs and robin Williams et al will be in
app purchases

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

like a "I just tried heroin " trip report. idk if I want to expose my brain to something that makes me so engrossed in sitting in a fake spaceship

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Widdiful posted:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

echinopsis posted:

idk if I want to expose my brain to something that makes me so engrossed in sitting in a fake spaceship
euro spacetruck simulator

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Basically same as OP except euro Truck Sim 2, poo poo is tite with a rift

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Widdiful posted:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

echinopsis posted:

this is why i don't read tcc anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Widdiful posted:

did your bulbus glandis get stuck

• Locked thread