Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eighty Seven
Jun 4, 2010
Please bear with me as I am trying to keep this generic as possible while still making sense.

I am moving and leaving my current job at the end of the month and need to be employed when I arrive at my new location.

Of the three jobs I applied for, I received a response from the two employers that I wanted to work for the most. Three days after applying I got an interview for "job A" the following day and a request to complete an assessment for job B. I completed the skills assessment that night for job B and the next day interviewed with job A upper management and knocked it out of the park.

Today, I get a job offer pending background check from job A and a request for an interview from job B. When my background check comes back I will be given a formal offer mid next week and the interview for job B is tentatively at the end of next week.

Now I would like to explore my options as much as possible without losing the chance at both jobs.

What I know:
From the outside without knowing details I prefer job B based on the company they represent
Job A has given me an idea of what my pay will be where job B only gives a nondescript "Can earn..." figure
Both are competing businesses in the same area
Job B is a smaller company but appears from what I can gather to be very profitable, Job A is much bigger with more locations
Job A has many negative reviews on Glassdoor, Job B has no reviews at all

What I am left with is an email where I must confirm the interview date with job B. I would like to request more information but I am unsure how in the proper way. Also, when I get the formal offer from job A, how should I ask for time and if they deny that, should I accept?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Eighty Seven posted:

What I am left with is an email where I must confirm the interview date with job B. I would like to request more information but I am unsure how in the proper way. Also, when I get the formal offer from job A, how should I ask for time and if they deny that, should I accept?
Asking for a day or two to decide is ok. Asking for a week probably isn't, unless you are late career and have highly desirably skills and experience. Regardless of that, I wouldn't be afraid to accept offer A and then call them up a week later and say you have changed your mind.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My only advice is to generally ignore glassdoor unless there are hundreds of reviews. Where I work gets a 3.2 with 120 reviews. We have 12,000 employees. The things people give bad ratings for are just crazy.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

spwrozek posted:

My only advice is to generally ignore glassdoor unless there are hundreds of reviews. Where I work gets a 3.2 with 120 reviews. We have 12,000 employees. The things people give bad ratings for are just crazy.
"there's never fat free ranch dressing in the cafeteria."

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Eighty Seven posted:

This question gets asked and answered in the negotiations megathread on a regular basis. Skim a couple pages of that thread and you'll probably get more perspective, but here's a quick summary:
-Pursue both jobs with the full intent of taking either until you have a negotiated offer, have cleared all requirements (background check, references checked, etc.), and have a start date
-Asking for time to review an offer is completely acceptable, but don't accept an offer with the intention of buying more time. Things like that really piss people off, and you don't want that reputation.
-Glassdoor is a steaming pile of poo poo

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

adorai posted:

Regardless of that, I wouldn't be afraid to accept offer A and then call them up a week later and say you have changed your mind.

Don't do this.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

SpelledBackwards posted:

Don't do this.
Would you care to say why not? Unless it's a field where that would really burn bridges for you in the future, I think backing out is fine if you're doing it for the right reasons (e.g an offer with a job that's a better fit).

The first few weeks at a job are when you decide whether or not it is a good fit for you. If your boss sucks or you hate the work, it's perfectly acceptable to let them know that it's not working out. Earlier the better, as they don't have to spend time training you.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

moana posted:

Would you care to say why not? Unless it's a field where that would really burn bridges for you in the future, I think backing out is fine if you're doing it for the right reasons (e.g an offer with a job that's a better fit).
It may very well be a bridge burning situation. The OP mentions that companies A and B are competitors. Jerking one of them around might limit the OP's options in that area down the line.

Eighty Seven
Jun 4, 2010
Not only are they competitors but you could fart in one business and smell it in the other. They're that close.

I settled upon replying to Job B asking for more information and to expedite the interview process. If I cannot get at least someone on the phone giving me general details before my formal offer from job A I'll cancel the interview.

I'm obviously going to be taking the guaranteed job over the possible one. I don't feel confident asking for time to review the offer when I can't think of a single reason why it would be a "let me talk to my wife about it" kind of situation.

Eighty Seven fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You say I need 3 days to review all the information and see if I have any questions about the offer. Most people just say sure or tell you that they want an answer in 2 days. It is not like you are going to take it on the phone with them... My last job negotiation took 2 weeks to hammer out all the details on.

• Locked thread