Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Synonamess Botch posted:

Its basically not worth doing before Wednesday

There's a meta-puzzle this week, Mon-Sat, and if you get it right you get a free year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Crosswords suck if you get a book of crosswords because the clues are all super-old and it's like, "1974 Rock Hudson Vehicle" and I'm like who the gently caress cares about some 70s action movie, no one can get that clue.

Also, "80s Comedienne Boozler" is the most common clue in history because ELAINE has like infinity vowels to make the puzzles work.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Today' sis really fun, even though it's not that hard

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Can we talk about cryptic crosswords? I enjoy working on those more than regular ol crosswords, but it's pretty rare that I finish one! They sure are hard. I think the Financial Times might have my favorite clues, usually

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
A bunch of my friends do a cryptic once a day at lunchtime, and I dislike it, because they just guess wacky things and justify them somehow, and somehow these stupid things are right.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

so are you going to post a crossword or what!

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
We're all doing the NYT crossword, which is illegal to distribute.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

fronz posted:

A bunch of my friends do a cryptic once a day at lunchtime, and I dislike it, because they just guess wacky things and justify them somehow, and somehow these stupid things are right.

Like with regular crosswords I expect there's a standard set of tics and tricks that occur regularly and you sort of build up a vocabulary.

Although when I first read about cryptics several months ago my impression was "what the gently caress?"

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

fronz posted:

We're all doing the NYT crossword, which is illegal to distribute.

oh well gently caress that

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

fronz posted:

Today' sis really fun, even though it's not that hard

there are many good and cute/fun clues today, none of which i will share, because it is illegal to share crossword clues.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Discount Viscount posted:

Like with regular crosswords I expect there's a standard set of tics and tricks that occur regularly and you sort of build up a vocabulary.

Although when I first read about cryptics several months ago my impression was "what the gently caress?"

this is exactly it, except i'll say that when they do start to click, it makes you feel clever as hell

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
You people aren't clever. You're diseased

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
But yes you are free to talk about cryptics in this theread

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hello Imp Zone, this is Will Shortz. Please don't distribute crosswords, I will answer any of your crossword-related questions.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Hello Imp Zone, this is Will Shortz. Please don't distribute crosswords, I will answer any of your crossword-related questions.

will anything ever top this one?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

No, in fact we shut down the crossword department the next day and have been running puzzles from 1986 ever since. Nobody's noticed

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

okay that's actually pretty loving incredible

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Mach2 posted:

okay that's actually pretty loving incredible

42 down makes it all work :cool:

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
today's was not bad, it had some cute clues like "It's been shortening since 1911" crisco and "group of jerks" spasm were a couple of my favorites. a bunch of lovely crossword clues too but eh. i thought the layout was interesting tho

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
i think you're being too hard on it. the fillery stuff wasnt actually bad and there wans't very much of it, and the longer clues were a lot of fun. the only complaint i'd really levy is that it was too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i told my dad to make me a copy of the Sunday Times crossword and he started doing so last week, which was a pretty tough one. this week i got a lot done in 30 minutes, including one of the theme clues as well as the puzzle's theme itself atlas

• Locked thread