Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Find a job that you want to do, rather than a job that you want to tell other people that you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If you really like math/science and bombs, go become a smartypants engineer and work for a defense contractor. Build the equipment to drone-strike bomb builders and put all those EOD dudes out of business.

What's more technically challenging? Defusing a bomb someone made in their garage or sending a missile 1,000 miles to ice a guy while he's taking a dump?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The best question that always applies for these creative profession ambitions: are you acting/defusing a bomb right now?

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
You do realize that to be even eligible for EOD you have to be in the top 3-5% of recruits the navy gets, right? They send you to the same Dive/airborne school as the SEALS, and if you were just "good at math and science" you ain't gonna make it. You also have to be in the top for the mechanical bits on the ASVAB (you know, where they ask "so, here's this car engine, how do you fix it?") and top physical shape, and not gently caress up in boot and have to get recycled even for an injury, be content with waiting MONTHS to ship out to boot (which means working a craptastic job until then - i mean like, it can be a year+ before you ship for EOD from the time your recruiter signs you), because they only run like one EOD a-school a year because they have to line it up with dive and airborne training, and not gently caress up in the months you are waiting to ship out.

If you're hell bent on going EOD, army has much lower entrance requirements, but they also don't train you on how to defuse underwater mines that you just jumped out of an airplane to reach. I wanted to go Navy EOD until I took my ASVAB and...did not do well on the mechanical bits, and I definitely wasn't in the physical shape needed. Then my mom begged me not to enlist, and then i hosed up and the navy didn't want me anymore.

You sound just like I did at 18. (only i wanted to write for SNL, not be on it)

My best advice to you, since you sound so much like me? If you don't want to go to college right now, don't know what to major in and are going to have to take out student loans, DONT GO. Go to a community college, get gen ed stuff out of the way while you come up with realistic career options that you enjoy. If you enjoy making people feel good and bringing smiles to their faces, find some way else to do that. Be a nurse. A social worker. An elementary school teacher. Hell, any level school drama teacher. I have one friend, out of almost two dozen who got BFAs (I was a theater kid in high school) whose sole income comes from the theater. You know why? 80% of that income comes from working at the theater he's a company member of - in the box office. And guess how much he makes? A whopping 25k a year. He loves it though, and he's actually shifted slightly to focus on the education/outreach side of things, with a goal of still acting, but doing the stuff like "come up with programs that we can run here that will get the school kids that come in for field trips actually interested in theater?" more.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 6, 2014

jejeje
Dec 25, 2004
fetus

Crane Fist posted:

Become an electrician, it's similar but you can wear what you like, get paid better and not die.

This is a good idea. If you decide to pursue acting after that, then at least you'll have a way to make money while you are "paying your dues". On the other hand, if you eventually do decide to join the military you'll be going in with an existing skill set that would be useful for the EOD program.

• Locked thread