Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Informative Wikipedia Keychain Article posted:

A keychain or key chain is a small chain, usually made from metal or plastic, that connects a small item to a keyring. The length of a keychain allows an item to be used more easily than if connected directly to a keyring. Some keychains allow one or both ends the ability to rotate, keeping the keychain from becoming twisted, while the item is being used. A keychain can also be a connecting link between a keyring and the belt of an individual. It is usually employed by personnel whose job demands frequent use of keys, such as a security guard, prison officer, janitor, or retail store manager. The chain is often retractable, and therefore may be a nylon rope, instead of an actual metal chain. The chain ensures that the keys remain attached to the individual using them, makes accidental loss less likely, and saves on wear and tear on the pockets of the user.

Keychains (known as key chains outside the keychain enthusiast community**) straddle the line between useful tool and fashion accessory and thus are creatures of two worlds. A well chosen keychain gives the "chainer***" a greater degree of personal expression than a loose Toyota key or a simple piece of jewelry.

Keychains have been with us since ancient times. Here is a picture of an old Roman key on a chain, making this piece an early keychain:

I enjoy this example of an archaeological pun with a Roman key ring you wear as a ring!:

I am a huge fan of keychains that work as hard as I do. My personal keychain of choice which I can never recommend quite forcefully enough is the KeyPort Slide 2.0, touted as "the modern guy's keychain" and boy they ain't kidding. I own two, one for each key I'm allowed to use.

Once upon a time it was a bannable offense to mention it because off-site drama/forum invasion so I'm just going to drop this pic here and whisper "awesome face keychain-gate '08" and back the gently caress up. :ssh:

As you can maybe tell I'm a huge k-chain nerd so please share what 'chains you use or wish you had.

**this was a matter of some debate back in the day on the keychaintomyheart forums but by the early 2000's everyone there had settled into using the compound word "keychain" almost exclusively.

***A "chainer" is one who makes use of a keychain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I have this really good keychain I got from my friend who is a Nintendo rep

and the same friend bought me this from one of his friends at Anime North last year, its a home made two sided Panty and Stocking keychain

Panty Side

Stocking Side

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
Here's mine.

I made it myself out of metal rings.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kick rear end.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bumping this because everyone uses keychains so i know there's more to say. And Sunday can be slow.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Never my brother

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Rando posted:

Never my brother

poo poo. I musta forgot.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

What do you get out of that key sorter thing. Organization? Space?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Rando posted:

Never my brother

This was found, by the way, in 2013, in a gas station in the outskirts of Clarksville, TN.

I was buying some Mexican sodas, and realized after paying that they didn't have twist-off caps, and that was a dollar, and the only other bottle opener I could find was 5 bucks.

So I said gently caress it and bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chinaman7000 posted:

What do you get out of that key sorter thing. Organization? Space?

A sense of control in a chaotic world.

• Locked thread