Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!
I would like some sort of citation, considering that there are tons of mainstream sources cited on the wikipedia articles.

Note that a symptom doesn't have to be medically serious for treatment to be desireable.

To the other poster, the spasms are a symptom of magnesium deficiency, so if you stopped taking the supplements and showed immediate symptoms of being deficient, that would be why he wanted you to take them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
no, the spasms had subsided by the time I saw the second doctor; in general he like his patients with any history of anxiety struggles to take mag. I do think it was very helpful during the period directly following discontinuation of benzodiazepines after long term use; I'm less convinced that it does anything for me at this point.

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

I would like some sort of citation, considering that there are tons of mainstream sources cited on the wikipedia articles.

Note that a symptom doesn't have to be medically serious for treatment to be desireable.

To the other poster, the spasms are a symptom of magnesium deficiency, so if you stopped taking the supplements and showed immediate symptoms of being deficient, that would be why he wanted you to take them.

Sure, here's one of the first non quack journals I could find:

http://jic.sagepub.com/content/20/1/3.full.pdf+html

quote:

symptom doesn't have to be medically serious for treatment to be desireable

Lets agree to disagree, otherwise i'd have to start treating morgellons aswell.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Lets agree to disagree, otherwise i'd have to start treating morgellons aswell.
You should at least be referring these people to someone with experience to treat their delusional parasitosis. Just because it's in their head doesn't mean it shouldn't be treated.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Tim Raines IRL posted:

It doesn't help that modern farming techniques may be depleting magnesium among other things.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19013359
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/soil-depletion-and-nutrition-loss/

That said, I'm skeptical that it's a great idea to take an assload of supplemental magnesium on a constant basis. My own experience (along with several other anecdotes I've read) was that after doing so for a period of time and then stopping abruptly, I had specific, unpleasant and fairly protracted muscle spasms which started 2-3 days after cessation, were relieved by taking more magnesium, and persisted for a period of about 3 weeks. Seems like drug withdrawal to me, which doesn't surprise me too much since magnesium appears to interact with NMDA receptors significantly.
This is the other good rule of thumb, for both vitamins and minerals. When you take in a lot, your body will get used to excreting a lot to protect itself. By this same mechanism it's possible to get symptoms of insufficient vitamin intake even though you're taking in a normal amount, if your body is adapted to taking in a lot (there's a specific term for this, which I don't recall).

Hodgepodge posted:

Unless, like me, you take it for spasms and other muscle-related effects of depletion and over-activation of the NMDA receptions.

It does sound like your body adapted to a larger magnesium intake. I'm not sure if that is a bad thing though, it wasn't causing problems in and of itself, and I'm hesitant to agree offhand that "my body adapted to using less of an essential nutrient again" is a good thing. Your body needs a fair amount of it to run, and will literally take it from your bones if it needs more (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypomagnesemia#Homeostasis). This is not an expert opinion.
Again, it's a rule of thumb, so I'm not 100% sure it applies in this case, but I very much expect that your body isn't "adapting to using less of an essential nutrient again"; it's "adapting to excreting less of it", which is not a bad thing.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

Dancer posted:

This is the other good rule of thumb, for both vitamins and minerals. When you take in a lot, your body will get used to excreting a lot to protect itself. By this same mechanism it's possible to get symptoms of insufficient vitamin intake even though you're taking in a normal amount, if your body is adapted to taking in a lot (there's a specific term for this, which I don't recall).

Again, it's a rule of thumb, so I'm not 100% sure it applies in this case, but I very much expect that your body isn't "adapting to using less of an essential nutrient again"; it's "adapting to excreting less of it", which is not a bad thing.

That would make sense; suddenly your body is excreting more than it should for your new intake. Another speculative mechanism is that the NMDA receptors might take awhile to get used to having less magnesium, which functions to decrease calcium signalling (technically it is an antagonist, as are benzos which is a hint as why they would moderate withdrawl). Until it adjusts by downregulating the receptors that calcium binds to, you would have symptoms of excess calcium signalling.

Either seems plausible to me, which honestly doesn't mean much.

As a sidenote, a good 70% of calcium supplements are Magnesium Oxide, which is supposedly only as medicinal as your need for a laxative at a given moment.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
Right. The one I have taken the most is mag citrate, usually Calm brand. I'd also point out that being polydrugged at a young age with a ton of things that seemed to cause many more problems than the ones I had to being with, has a lot to do with the fairly woo stance I take on a lot of things at this point. Don't get me wrong, I trust doctors a lot more than I trust woo practitioners or supplement manufacturers, but that doesn't say much at all.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Right. The one I have taken the most is mag citrate, usually Calm brand. I'd also point out that being polydrugged at a young age with a ton of things that seemed to cause many more problems than the ones I had to being with, has a lot to do with the fairly woo stance I take on a lot of things at this point. Don't get me wrong, I trust doctors a lot more than I trust woo practitioners or supplement manufacturers, but that doesn't say much at all.

I think part of the problem is that (most) doctors aren't scientists. My boss is a biologist and isn't terribly fond of many doctors because there's this tendency for them to believe themselves to be experts in fields where such expertise isn't really possible. A good example is something like medicating depression. Because we can't drill into a person's skull and actually look at the present levels of dopamine/seratonin/etc, there literally isn't anything doctors can do (in addition to therapy of course) other than throw different medications/types of medications against the disease and see what sticks. Despite this, many doctors have convinced themselves that, for example, one particular SSRI is the best because of their own subjective experience, and unlike a scientist there's no peer review to reign them in.

So while actual doctors are certainly far better than people who practice pseudo-science, they shouldn't - individually - really be treated as authorities in their particular fields. The general consensus of physicians/scientists is another matter entirely and is the closest thing to an authority that we have access to. It's just that individual doctors are often a problem, and this is particularly the case in fields like psychiatry where it is absolutely necessary that physicians take continued education seriously.

• Locked thread