Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
What's your photographic style, philosophy, or dynamic? This can be one that's emerged as you've taken more and more photographs. It can be one that you've purposely set out to achieve. It can be one where you've looked over your photos and can identify it from them.

Most of my recent photography has been done in my town/city. Something that's within walking distance. I don't take photos often, but I have often reviewed what I have shot. I've seen pictures I've liked amongst what I've developed and I've tried to take more pictures like that. One example was of occupational use of bicycles: people using them as transport, for shopping, to travel faster, to save money, etc. But I've generally failed to take more bicycle pictures because standing in the one spot waiting for a bike becomes boring after fifteen minutes: no dedication to my art.

Looking through my photos, and especially at my favourite ones what I've found is that I like pictures that place the edifice of the city (or city surrounds) as something imposing on or influencing the people amidst it. This isn't something I've consciously set out to do, nor subconsciously. I just haven't been able to verbally identify that that is what I have been doing, despite having a non-verbal desire to do it. What I have thought I've been doing is street photography: with more emphasis on the street but still including the people or person.

I think I'm very influenced by my town/city. I've never lived elsewhere and I absolutely love where I live. I've spent a long time here and I feel I've gotten to know certain parts of it. I find them especially comforting. I find that familiarity especially comforting and maybe I'm reflecting that in my photography. I even finding myself exploring new depths to my city. I think I now know that this is what I want to do.

So what's your photographic philosophy; Do you not have any? Have you cycled through many projects actively choosing a different one? (And it'd be interesting to see if there's still a common thread running through them all.) Have you noticed something in your photographic body of work that you're thinking of pursuing?

CorkFloodsJanuary2014027_edited-2 by mrendatious1, on Flickr

Cork8thDecember2013Working003 by mrendatious1, on Flickr

AshleyHotelCork by mrendatious1, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Postin' in a Mrenda thread.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
My style is opening up the camera and taking a steaming dump directly on to the sensor.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Medieval Medic posted:

My style is opening up the camera and taking a steaming dump directly on to the sensor.

So basically a variation on your posting style?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i have a :justpost: approach except i try to get up close and have some amount of DoF unless the background is actually important, your brain is lookin at a 2d picture but it will still consider perceived depth and so i think dof is super important in making your subject really pop but still feel part of the world without going overboard isolating them when you're working a scene you have no control over

welp thats my poo poo post thanks for reading

edit: thought it might be useful to show what im talking about :)

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 26, 2014

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I shoot what I like and I hate what I shoot. My pictures are about as bad as my posting.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Digital: just hold that button down and fill up my HD with thousands upon thousands of meciocrity and shyte. Then procrastinate like the overeducated professional that I am and ignore those thousands of photos indefinately. Complain about Adobe's business model to everyone.

Film: load film wrong, gently caress up rolls. Load film right, gently caress up exposure. Get exposure right, but never realize it because I just toss all my film into the freezer and, much like the digital images on my computer, ignore them forever except for occassionally pondering "I should really develop some film today" before refilling my coffee cup (or beer glass if it's after 5:00pm, somewhere on Earth) and going back to poo poo posting on teh intarwub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

My output has taken a massive drop ever since I started grad school, but my preferred aesthetic was always neat hyperreality stuff. Not just replicating the depth and size of large format, but going a little further than what makes sense from normal photographic output. IMO the best thing I ever made (and printed) was a set of 360 degree panoramas that turned out to be over nine feet wide each.

When I was in my early 20's, I saw some really amazing, giant-sized prints of Hiroshi Sugimoto's Seascapes that completely blew my mind, and always wanted to be able to replicate that sense of getting lost in an image. After that I read a bunch of Jorge Luis Borges and got really into the idea of "the map covering the territory" and wanted to use stupid huge representations of "normal" things to make them more real than they were previously.

If I ever get around to it, I always wanted to make a super-giant rasterized print of a portrait and stick it to the side of my house or something. I'm not sure the neighbors would be huge fans, though. Unfortunately the style can be a little prohibitively expensive/time-consuming, and grad school is eating all of my money and time for the next couple of years.

Also, I get the sense hyperreality has kind of fallen out of vogue over the last couple of years. Maybe it's time to branch out?

• Locked thread