Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Convenience wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPython

Now Ive read that and some other links about 10 times and still don't know whats going on. My best guess is that its a scripting language mainly used for mathematics and based on the python syntax but will let you use any syntax you have the plugin for and will let you display the output in anything you want. Anyone use this thing and can tell me about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Just try it out, its a great interpreter for python. Have you ever used IDLE (does this still come with python by default?)? It's like that but with more features - a bunch of which are listed on that wiki you posted. I love it!

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Oh god ok if I get a chance :(

I loving hate learning new programming things, just on that wiki page alone there are a billion acroynms ive never heard of. The notebook thing looks pretty cool though http://ipython.org/notebook.html

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
Yeah, that's sort of like the Notebook feature of Mathematica (or SAGE, if you're into that kind of thing). Anyway, iPython is basically just a nicer interface for interactively programming in Python. If you could only learn one language, Python would be a decent choice.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Oh so its an IDE then? When did people start saying 'Interactive programming'?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Seaside Loafer posted:

Oh so its an IDE then?

Not really. It's an improved shell originally developed for Python by an academic who felt Python's default interpreter sucked rear end compared to Matlab etc at the time. IDEs like Eclipse, Visual Studio, and JetBrains offerings are usually associated with large multi-file projects and managing the tasks associated with them. IPython is often used to rapidly iterate on pieces of a larger project or data transformations, but isn't really meant for managing a project.

IPython notebook came later and is a killer feature if you're doing any kind of scientific computing. It is very easy to create and share executable documents, which is useful for say, writing a reproducible thesis (you can also export to latex, pdf, etc) or teaching with 'literate programming'. Over time it has become a more generic framework for interactive computing, and other languages can interface with IPython (IJulia, IHaskell, etc), because why not. See also babel/org-mode for turbonerds.

This talk by IPython's creator Fernando Perez conveys the purpose and vision of IPython really well: http://vimeo.com/63250251

Seaside Loafer posted:

When did people start saying 'Interactive programming'?

The 1950s.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
You can code in R and Python in the same notebook and it is probably the best thing for collaborative data analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
iPython is, as kraftwerks said, an improved interactive interpreter for use in academia. It helps resolve one of the issues where code and research isn't reproducible because, as easy as it is to share code, a big part of research is smashing data into the right format, collecting it, and organizing it. iPython tries to make that easier by collecting all the steps into an easily shareable notebook. Here's a good example: http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/...entration.ipynb

• Locked thread