Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

The 3DS, PS, and Xbox controllers all put the buttons in different places, which always manages to gently caress me up. like, if I'm playing playstation, the x button is the bottom button. Xbox or PC w/ controller? it's the leftmost button. 3DS? it's the TOP button

THAT poo poo JUST REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
it's really dumb with the xbox since they took the most recognized face button pattern in gaming history and just swapped the order for no loving reason. unless nintendo had a patent on that poo poo or something.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
Yeah, when obsessively playing one console over another (currently 3ds) I have a moment of weirdness when switching, but it usually lasts about 10 minutes and then I'm back on top.

But yeah the lack of consistency is annoying

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
This isn't an issue when you play PC exclusively.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Wait, do people actually have trouble with this? I can't remember the last time this bothered me for even a few seconds.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Lamebot posted:

Yeah instead every game has a different set of controls. Especially if you bounce between classic/modern PC games, 'cause then you get poo poo like A and D turning the camera instead of strafing. Of course you can rebind on PC, so whatevs.

Exclusively PC gaming means you'll miss out on the Wii U and 3DS though, so uh... Not worth it. I'd rather fumble with controls for 40 seconds every once in a while than miss good console exclusives.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Shadow of Mordor has a mechanic that's basically 'press this button to not die' and i always press the wrong button

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
I like that Sony just uses shapes as there buttons, really considerate of them. Triangle just feels like the menu button to me, it feels right.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Dexters Secret posted:

Shadow of Mordor has a mechanic that's basically 'press this button to not die' and i always press the wrong button

it's fun though

the not dying part I mean

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i somehow don't have this problem at all

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

AE-35 Unit posted:

it's fun though

the not dying part I mean

i would like the mechanic more if i could remember where the fuckin' buttons were because i basically never use an xbox controller ever

i was hoping someone made a texture mod to switch the buttons but no such luck

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Nice family guy reference OP

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

It took me about 30 seconds to google look it up but that joke is going on 9 years old.

XD OP. Ecks Dee.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Heran Bago posted:

It took me about 30 seconds to google look it up but that joke is going on 9 years old.

XD OP. Ecks Dee.

thanks man i just wanted to honor one of the classics :)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I still prefer that kind of poo poo over "Bae". Nicely done Dexters Secret. Stand up and take a bow.

Seriously I love your gang tag. Good poo poo.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Heran Bago posted:

I still prefer that kind of poo poo over "Bae". Nicely done Dexters Secret. Stand up and take a bow.

Seriously I love your gang tag. Good poo poo.

something magical h appens when you click on it

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Dexters Secret posted:

something magical h appens when you click on it

Oh my loving god I never realized. Dexter's got a secret.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Psycobladder posted:

I like that Sony just uses shapes as there buttons, really considerate of them. Triangle just feels like the menu button to me, it feels right.

That's actually kind of ironic. If I recall, the buttons were chosen to represent certain actions, with square being a menu, triangle being point-of-view (first person mode? idk), X being cancel/back and circle being "confirm."

Now Triangle or Start is the menu button and X is like standard for confirm, (except in many JRPGs where it still uses Circle) so that plan was shot to hell

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mach2 posted:

That's actually kind of ironic. If I recall, the buttons were chosen to represent certain actions, with square being a menu, triangle being point-of-view (first person mode? idk), X being cancel/back and circle being "confirm."

Now Triangle or Start is the menu button and X is like standard for confirm, (except in many JRPGs where it still uses Circle) so that plan was shot to hell

Circle is still confirm in japan you freaking dumbass.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Lamebot posted:

I bought a 360 pad to play games with recently and I kept failing the Shadow of Mordor Press X to not Die QTEs because I dont know where the buttons are

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

this has never bothered me, and I swap between different stuff a lot. try using a controller with Nintendo buttons (like the excellent NES30) but play a PC game with Xbox prompts, where Y = X and X = Y. your brain could use the exercise.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Circle is still confirm in japan you freaking dumbass.

Mach2 posted:

(except in many JRPGs where it still uses Circle)

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Dexters Secret posted:

The 3DS, PS, and Xbox controllers all put the buttons in different places, which always manages to gently caress me up. like, if I'm playing playstation, the x button is the bottom button. Xbox or PC w/ controller? it's the leftmost button. 3DS? it's the TOP button

THAT poo poo JUST REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS

If you think about the X button as a shape then you will likely find it easier to translate, OP. Farewell.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's confirm in most other kinds of games as well in Japan, to my knowledge.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Wormskull posted:

If you think about the X button as a shape then you will likely find it easier to translate, OP. Farewell.

i do, but i also think of letters as shapes that just mean certain sounds, so that's a bust

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I've noticed that many folks, without even thinking about it, see a "Press circle" prompt and call it "B" instead, because their thinking of button location. Hopefully one of these techniques helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I never have this problem :shrug:

• Locked thread