Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Might as well throw my hat into the ring. For dinner last Sunday, I had ginger chicken served over rice, with broccoli on the side.

I learned the recipe from my father, who learnt it from his mother, who learnt it from an Indian(?) family she was a live-in nurse for. It's quite popular because it's easy to make and delicious. It is, after all, just 8 pounds of chicken simmered in 1 of butter, with 4 tbsp each of freshly chopped ginger and garlic and 1-2 tsp salt for flavor, served over a generous portion of rice. The sauce on the rice is every bit as delicious as the chicken. Zero points for style, perhaps, and the crappy phone camera does it no favors, but it does exemplify the sort of good, simple, filling foods that our grandmamas used to make. It's somewhat unfortunate that I didn't know my father's mother better, because she was exactly the kind of person you'd want for a contest like this. She was a dairy farmer's wife and would regularly bring home blue ribbons at the county fair, even going up against other farmer's wives. Her recipe for bread started with "Chop one armload of kindling", and she taught my father that same kind of thorough preparation, though he has been less successful teaching me that value. Honestly, this is my real comfort food, and the first recipe my parents taught me. If things aren't going too well at work, if the rain's coming down and the storm's a-blowing, I make a pot of this and some rice, and all is peace and contentment for an hour or so. Apparently, and I'd forgotten this earlier, you're supposed to include a recipe and some pictures. The recipe is as noted above; chop and combine in a pot chicken, butter, ginger, garlic, and a little salt for taste, and simmer until it's done. If your pot looks like this, it's good.

For dessert, we had slice of lemon pie from my mother's side of the family, being a favorite of her father's and a recipe from her mother, along with piecrust cookie made from the excess crust.

Again, sorry for the poor picture quality. This is slightly more complicated than the chicken, being a custard made with freshly-sliced lemon. My mother's mother was a Southern lady, from a time and place where pies such as this were a staple and a delicacy. Supposedly this recipe comes from the Shakers, and it does show up in another cookbook we have as Shaker Lemon Pie. Again, I never knew my mother's mother that well, because she died when I was very young, but her daughters collected her recipes and printed them in a cookbook of their own, so while I never knew her, I did grow up with her cooking, and it will always be an influence on me.

Alternatively: My da taught me to make the sort of simple bachelor food he survived on when he was living in a 16 foot shack by the river, the virtues of rice and chicken and simple staples. My ma taught me to make meals fit for a church potluck; you make twice as much as everybody can eat, and get mortally offended if you have to bring any home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

What's the recipe for that pie?

You should probably link to this thread in the main ICSA 64 thread so that the organizer is aware of it.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

anakha posted:

What's the recipe for that pie?
Um. I made all this when I was visiting home on Sunday and had ready access to my parents' recipes, and I made the pie from my mother's cookbook full of her mother's recipes, but I neglected to actually copy out the recipe. I did take a picture of the recipe, at least, so I'll transcribe it here.
Pastry for 9-inch two crust pie (What kind of cook are you that can't make pie crust?)
1 and 1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter
3 eggs (reserve 1 tsp white for glaze)
1 lemon
1/2 cup water
A little cinnamon.
Combine the sugar, flour, and salt. Soften and blend in the butter. Beat eggs well and blend them in as well. Grate 1tsp peel from the lemon, then peel and slice the lemon. Stealing from a similar recipe, "If you can drape them over the knife blade like the watches in Salvador Dali's surrealistic paintings, you're on the right track." Blend water, peels, and slices into the mixture. Pour into pastry-lined pan, add top crust, and flute the edges. Glaze with egg white and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Bake 30-35m at 400F.

The pie crust cookie is fairly obvious; roll out the crust on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, and bake until golden brown. Serve in chunks.

quote:

You should probably link to this thread in the main ICSA 64 thread so that the organizer is aware of it.
On it.

• Locked thread