Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
are videogames art?
yes, videogames are most definitely a form of art
no, i do not believe that videogames qualify as art, op
View Results

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah cool as long as laser tag is art I'll be a marxist sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

icantfindaname cant stop slobbering about how much he hates the red menace, even in this thread about much more important issues

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 2, 2014

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

too much time playing Red Alert imo

e: I literally just understood that title

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
video games can be art because anything can be art if u like but they're probably not good art

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
video games are art but don't criticize them because they're just video games man

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 235 days!

computer parts posted:

video games are art but don't criticize them because they're just video games man

They have lots of naked wimmens, just like sculpture!

*releases a game featuring a dude's flaccid slong front and centre*

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

They have lots of naked wimmens, just like sculpture!

*releases a game featuring a dude's flaccid slong front and centre*

whats your kickstarter

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

a private business operating for profit with proletarian customers cannot properly be called art, but instead a crime against the human race

much like your posts

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
doom was a work of art but there was no art before or after

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Video games are art, in that they totally can communicate some kind of message or invoke any sort of emotion out of their audience, but if you are actively striving to give video games the moniker of "art" then you're a retard. Anything which goes out of it's way to describe itself as "art" is 100% guaranteed to be a pretentious piece of poo poo. This is because while art isn't generally ostentatious, people associated still the word "art" with it, and anyone who goes out of their way to say that the video game they developing is art is going to try and put some incredibly pompous poo poo into their project. In reality, some of the best works of art in the world are things we wouldn't even think of as "art" when asked about it. It may seem like a strange thing to say, but calling video games "art" is actually the biggest obstacles in the way of video games becoming art.

Now if you don't mind I'll be busy hating myself because I just posted a serious reply to this holy poo poo.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

VerdantSquire posted:

Now if you don't mind I'll be busy hating myself because I just posted a serious reply to this holy poo poo.

I consider Hidden Agenda to be a work of art.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Everything is art if you want it to be. So why not?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The Stanley Parable, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and TF2 are all definitely artworks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Making gamers mad is art.

• Locked thread