Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
Have you ever had a re-occuring dream that you wanted to stop? Were you able to get it to stop? What did you do to help?

For the last few months I've been having a re-occuring dream about two or 3 times a week that I killed someone (its always someone I don't know in a different place) but then I take their body back to a house I used to live at and bury them under a secret passage in the garage floor then the cops show up and just start searching everywhere.

The dream is so vivid and real I wake up soaked in sweat (I leave my A/C on at 70) once I wake up I'm just really hosed up for a bit and it kinda throws my whole day off.

Edit: I should mention I started having this dream after watching a John Wayne Gacy thing on Netflix.

Help me goons! Did I kill someone in my past life?

Guru Yaekob fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!

Guru Yaekob posted:

Not in a past life no, but you'd be amazed at the poo poo you pulled a couple years back when Da Joose was all the rage. I'd look into your post history if I was you and check to see if there was any time you may have been blacked out posting.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
Your dreams are connected to whatever you do in your daily life. You can't just 'stop' a reoccurring dream without examining the way you live.

W/O knowing anything about you: meditate, eat better, exercise, use less drugs (esp. alcohol), and be kinder to strangers.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you watch a scary movie and then have nightmares based on it, the nightmares aren't due to not exercising or not helping old ladies across the street, weirdo. By all means, do good things, but nightmares aren't evidence of moral crimes.

In bed before you go to sleep, imagine parts of the dream but make them happy. Like you go meet up with somebody you don't know, but it turns out it's to adopt a dog, or it's a cool guy and you make friends, or someone hot and you hook up, whatever. Or you're at your old place, but you're having a little party and it's a great time, you feel super relaxed hanging out at your home with your bros.

And stop watching dumb scary movies or you'll have to sleep with the hall light on, like when you read Scary Stories in fourth grade.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
Don't sleep.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhQGPDDlyTc

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Sounds like it is your subconscious telling you to move the body, before the cops find it.

spog fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 2, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Reoccuring dreams, especially if emotionally disturbing, may or may not be an expression of subconcious emotional stress. Relaxation techniques help for some people.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Did you actually kill someone? This is important.

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE

Jeza posted:

Did you actually kill someone? This is important.

I'm not capable of killing a fly.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Maybe kill some flies and you'll get that killing ain't no big deal and stop dreaming about it.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
We dream for a few different reasons, but usually is it subconscious processing of things you *should* have consciously processed, but for some reason you failed to.

The only way I've found to prevent having a particular theme or concept in a dream is to consciously process whatever it is you don't want to dream about.

For example, I'd be willing to bet nightmares about sharks greatly increase the month *before* Shark-Week on Discovery. Why? Because everyone is seeing little advertisements and glimpses all over the web/tv, and then suddenly they are told to pay attention to something else. Your mind is thinking "OMG you just saw a shark, pay attention your life could be in danger!!" but consciously your thinking about what week that is your working, or that you don't get Discovery channel, or what kind of bubble gum your chewing. Then later that night, your subconscious puts you on a boat surrounded by, you guessed it, sharks.

In your case, if this started after watching a TV show about some serial-killer, maybe it disturbed you more than you care to admit? Process that. Don't try and "put it out of your mind", as that usually creates the opposite effect. Sit down and spend a minute or two thinking about how sad it is that people out there are so mentally disturbed they are driven to murder... think about how that makes you feel. Don't dwell on it, just accept it and realize murder is a bad thing, and that we need to improve our mental healthcare, our understand and helping those emotionally/mentally disturbed to prevent such terrible crimes.

This usually works for most people. However it could be something totally different but I am just going off the facts of what you told me in your brief post.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
You need to enact the dream in real life to take away it's power. Then your subconscious will see that murder is no big deal and life goes on as usual :shrug:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

How has it not occurred to you that the cops are catching you so fast because you keep burying the bodies in the same, obvious place over and over again?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Guru Yaekob posted:

Apparently your brain does not agree.

brotato
May 14, 2013

Cuttlefush posted:

Don't sleep.

No but seriously, relaxation techniques can be good. Going to be stressed can lead to weird dreams.

Also another poster already mentioned this but I will go ahead and repeat it for you: envision a happy ending to the dream. Go through it in your head and find some way to change the scenario so it doesn't end up being the lovely thing you normally keep dreaming about.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

brotato posted:

No but seriously, relaxation techniques can be good. Going to be stressed can lead to weird dreams.

Also another poster already mentioned this but I will go ahead and repeat it for you: envision a happy ending to the dream. Go through it in your head and find some way to change the scenario so it doesn't end up being the lovely thing you normally keep dreaming about.

That's good advice, it usually works for me. Spend a few minutes in bed thinking about what you'd like to dream about. It may take some practice, but it's pretty awesome when it works.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Harden the gently caress up. It's just a dream.

Big Ol Butthole
Apr 21, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Guru Yaekob posted:

So you're retarded? Good luck with your dreams.

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

Don't worry, it's a very heavy feather.
Have you heard of lucid dreaming? Learning to lucid dream will solve all of your nightmare problems.

Basically you 'wake up' inside the dream by realizing you are dreaming, then you can do whatever you want. I've done it a few times, but I'm pretty inconsistent at maintaining a dream journal and my dream recall is poo poo so... :shrug:

Here are a few resources for ya:
http://www.reddit.com/r/LucidDreaming/
http://www.lucidity.com/LucidDreamingFAQ2.html

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
Go read My Friend Dahmer, that should make the John Wayne Gacy movie seem like nothing.

Angstrom
Nov 4, 2011

Guru Yaekob posted:

Have you ever had a re-occuring dream that you wanted to stop? Were you able to get it to stop? What did you do to help?

For the last few months I've been having a re-occuring dream about two or 3 times a week that I killed someone (its always someone I don't know in a different place) but then I take their body back to a house I used to live at and bury them under a secret passage in the garage floor then the cops show up and just start searching everywhere.

The dream is so vivid and real I wake up soaked in sweat (I leave my A/C on at 70) once I wake up I'm just really hosed up for a bit and it kinda throws my whole day off.

Edit: I should mention I started having this dream after watching a John Wayne Gacy thing on Netflix.

I showed this thread to my friend who's a PHD student in psychology doing his thesis on REM sleep deprivation in recurrent nightmares. When he was reading your post he broke out into a cold sweat and suggested you seek help immediately before it is too late.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Try listening to sound waves that stimulate your brain at various frequencies. I know a guy who experimented with a bunch of waveform audio during sleep and he said he could definitely influence his sleep with different frequencies. I'm sure if you search you can download these types of audio tracks, but all I found in 2 minutes was a (dumb?) app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=imoblife.brainwavetuner.lite&hl=en

Basically the idea is to listen to specific frequencies that get your brain to compensate in a way that stimulates the following:

Beta (16-31 cycles per second) shows focused concentration.
Alpha (8-15 cycles) shows relaxed alertness and creativity.
Theta (4-7 cycles) shows meditation, dreams and light sleep.
Delta (0.1-3 cycles) shows unconsciousness and deep sleep.

Obviously there are a ton of kooks that treat this like homeopathic medicine or whatever, but there is a somewhat scientific foundation to this. Sleep clinics have done studies on audio during sleep for decades. Give it a shot, you may have some extra terrifying or relaxing dreams, depending on your brain!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Also, fyi, violent dreams are generally associated with Sigma sleep. It is most prevalent in the morning hours. You could try waking up like 2 hours earlier, that might help.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I had a dream about Taylor Swift last night. That's my story.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

Guru Yaekob posted:

I get this one a few times a year. Hide the Bodies is not a classic dream like Argh! My Teeth! or Hello I'm So Naked, but it's common enough. Usually I've killed more than one person (always strangers) and I keep desperately trying to move their decomposing, dismembered bodies from place to place. The most telling thing is that there's never any motive for why I've become a murderer – even when the dream shows the murders, which it doesn't always – and the action focuses on hiding the corpses, not the death itself.

There's a lot of bullshit about dream interpretation but I think it's plausible that murder dreams about the body popping up again and again, or threatening to be discovered, are usually about guilt. Once I learned this, the dreams bothered me less as I do indeed feel guilty over a lot of things, though none involving violence to other people. The dreams are no less bothersome when I'm inside them, but the psychological 'hangover' is a much less persistent and doesn't spoil the rest of my day.

I could still do without once dreaming that I have to move someone's rotting torso from an old caravan I see on my regular jogging route. Every time I go past, I now feel I'm a poltroon if I don't look inside the caravan, which contains nothing more sinister than stock of fencing wire and some spare mineral licks for cows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Yeah, your brain is probably sublimating something you're embarrassed about or trying to hide from others into a dead body, and is trying to solve how to keep it hidden. The anxiety you feel about being discovered then becomes the cops trying to get you.

Try to figure out what might be causing that consciously, and try resolving it before you go to bed. Also, imagine (and resolve to dream) that you killed the person by accident, and wait around for the police to explain yourself. It sounds like the murder isn't what you're agonizing over, but the body and hiding it from the police, so neutralizing that fear will make the dream go away.

For reference, I had a recurring dream of being chased by a monster. I couldn't look back, or it would catch me; no matter how fast I ran, I couldn't get away. One night, I decided that I would fight the monster even if it killed me, and when the dream came I faced it and it disappeared. Never had that dream again. I did something similar when I was having those "giving a speech and also you're naked" dreams. Decided "Oh well, guess I'm naked," and those dreams stopped too.

If you think about and imagine how your dream will happen before you fall asleep, you end up training your imagination how to react. The neat thing is you will probably keep having those dreams, but you will never remember them because your brain will handle them automatically and you'll stay asleep instead of waking up in the middle of them in a cold sweat.

• Locked thread