Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

There are so many great threads here in GWS with tons of talent, and I take pride in my cooking, too. But let's face it: sometimes you just wanna eat four to seven slices of cheese in a row when it's two in the morning and nobody is judging you. This is a thread about all the shameful things we love to shove in our craws when there isn't anyone looking - the kinds of things that take the most minimal amount of effort.

Here's what I think of as a midnight snack:

Instant Ramen

Perennial goon favorite and college student staple food, ramen is like a warm hug for your stomach and a karate grip for your arteries. It's basically just salt, MSG, and noodles of dubious nutritional quality, but if your kitchen has the means to make water hot in any way possible, you can (and probably do, if you're a SA regular) slurp it down almost immediately. Just salt, warmth, and calories. A very zen experience.

Other People's Leftovers

Being the deeply principled environmentalist that I am, nothing upsets me more than seeing perfectly good food go to waste. If I spy a roommate's or a family member's leftover food, I'll selfelessly rescue it from the landfill after I can see that it's been abandoned for an appropriate amount of time (i.e. whenever I'm hungry pretty much).

Please don't hate me for my lack of discipline and self control.

Boiled Eggs

I love boiled eggs. They take basically no effort to make, you can make a ton at once, and they just chill out in your fridge. They're like Kinder Eggs if the toy in the middle was actually eggs and the chocolate shell part too I guess. Boiled eggs are to cholesterol what ramen is to salt: a pure and unfettered experience of deep physiological satisfaction. The two go great together, too!

A Block of Cheese

just a big ol' block of cheese

Hummus

Hummus is great in that like eggs, you can prepare a bunch at one time and then throw it into your fridge for prolonged periods of snacking. It also doesn't even take much effort to make in the first place: throw chickpeas, sesame seeds, garlic, lemon juice, and oil into a food processor and mash into a homogeneous goop. Spread it on anything even remotely bread-like: toast, bagels, tortillas, chips, pretzels, bricks of uncooked ramen, the possibilities are basically endless. Eat it on anything! Eat it on its own with a spoon! Dunk your face directly into the bowl, you hungry hungry person! Hummus just works.

Anyway, this list is far from inclusive, and I wanna hear about what you all eat directly from your fridges/pantries, anyway! The only prerequisite is that it fills you with a deep sense of regret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I like to mix 3 tbs peanutbutter, 6 tbs ketchup, 5 tbs ketjap manis, 3 tbs brown sugar and 1 tbs sambal badjak with 100 ml of water, cook it, and voila.....satay sauce!
these ingredients will keep almost indefinitely in the pantry, so they're always in the house.
then it's just a matter of dipping anything in there and eat it (carrots, peppers, potato chips, whatever)

Also, puff pastry and cheddar/melting cheese...fold it, bake it, eat it

radthibodaux
Nov 1, 2011

HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS
To expand on ramen, I like to crack a few eggs in at the end and mix it up. It's sort of egg drop soup-esque and a bit more filling.

Edit: Also, I enjoy dumping a box full of Triscuits on a plate, covering it in shredded cheese, and microwaving until I've got a greasy, congealed mega Triscuit. Serve with a large side of self loathing.

radthibodaux fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 2, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Oeufs mayonnaise: Medium or hard boiled eggs halved with either fresh extra-mustard aioli or store-bought mayo tarted up with something, usually involving tarragon., and more mustard. And a bit of something pickled sprinkled over. This is pretty regular drinking food for a friend and me.

Hamburg, gravy, and rice: My father's bachelor staple and now mine. With canned or powdered brown gravy stocked just for this. And spritzed with lovely, metallic lachoy "soy sauce" also stocked just for.

Ploughman's: A lot of whatever bread I last baked, a large chunk of cheese, something pickled, and a fair pat of butter.

Camembert: A whole round at a nice, runny room temperature. With whatever beer/cocktail.

Extra-sharp white cheddar with a tart apple: My sister's favorite givenofucks snack and a favorite of mine.

Egg sandwich: One over-easy egg between fresh wheat bread smeared with mayo and a few grinds of black pepper. My grandfather's former go-to.

"Chili": I'm mostly vegetarian and so is a friend. So, while cutting loose now and then, whatever meat ends up shredded in a pot of minced chiles/hot sauce/chili powder and maybe beans and tomato.

Kimchi on white rice: Cold. Room temperature at the warmest.

Cheddarwurst: Terrible, salty "sausages" from a vacu-pouch? Yup. Great at midnight over a fire or in a cast iron skillet while bitching about a rough week? Hell yeah!

Sardines: Tossed with toasted breadcrumbs in olive oily pasta, on dried rye bread rusks, in a little custard dish with olives, whatever.

Bowl of unshelled, assorted nuts: Nom

Chunky peanut butter: Can't sleep and going crazy in my frustrated exhauston? A glob of chunky knifed out of the jar.

Mini-tarts: Make a quick simple pie dough, section small, flatten, curl in circumference, fill with whatever jam/jelly is in the larder, and bake for a bit. Eat too many, drink too much, watch schlocky movies, wake up the next morning on the living room floor.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 3, 2014

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Ooh, speaking of rice dishes, I like doing sushi rice + rice vinegar + sesame oil + furikake + Japanese mayo + avocado. These are things I usually have on hand because I live at a co-op that buys stuff from the local Asian store, it's really easy (make rice and pour/squeeze a bunch of stuff over it) but really good and filling. Also goes with boiled eggs!

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Parmaghetti.

Boil spaghetti, toss with a bunch of melted butter, and grate on so much parm that the pasta is almost dry.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

mich posted:

Parmaghetti.

Boil spaghetti, toss with a bunch of melted butter, and grate on so much parm that the pasta is almost dry.

That's basically what pasta alfredo is.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Whole roasted chicken. Toss that poo poo in the oven and forget it at 425 F for an hour or two, put in fridge, eat for a week.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Suspect Bucket posted:

No. Parmaghetti is not creamy. It's purposefully overloaded with parm so that it's dry.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Look how wrong you are.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Merge the sardines thread in GBS with this thread imo.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
Easy Mac mixed with a small can of tuna, it's a lazy man's tuna casserole.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Pull tab. Eat with fork. Console yourself that at least it's healthy :effort:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Casu Marzu posted:

Look how wrong you are.

Then I've been LIED TO FOR YEARS. Is nothing sacred?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fettuccine_Alfredo

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Yeah, we know what alfredo is, that's why we said it's not parmaghetti. You may notice this key sentence in the wikipedia article. "As the cheese melts, it emulsifies the liquids to form a smooth and rich coating on the pasta."

Parmaghetti is in no manner about making a proper pasta. You don't finish cooking it in the butter/parm with pasta water as needed to make the sauce. The texture is totally different. You coat the pasta with butter just so that more non-melted cheese can stick to it.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

GEEKABALL posted:

Easy Mac mixed with a small can of tuna, it's a lazy man's tuna casserole.

This except I make my own lovely mac with sharp cheddar.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

mich posted:

Yeah, we know what alfredo is, that's why we said it's not parmaghetti. You may notice this key sentence in the wikipedia article. "As the cheese melts, it emulsifies the liquids to form a smooth and rich coating on the pasta."

Parmaghetti is in no manner about making a proper pasta. You don't finish cooking it in the butter/parm with pasta water as needed to make the sauce. The texture is totally different. You coat the pasta with butter just so that more non-melted cheese can stick to it.

Allow me to apoligize and amend my statement. Its badfredo.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

One of my favorite zero-effort late night snacks is a big loaf of commercially bought frozen garlic bread, with pre-cooked fried chicken cutlets on the garlic bread, smothered in shredded or sliced cheese and a boatload of red pepper flakes. It hurts so good the next morning, but it's totally worth it. Also very acceptable drunk food with little to no risk of self-injury when preparing (eyes fading burn scar on forearm thanks to contact with oven door during preparation...).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Allow me to apoligize and amend my statement. Its badfredo.

It's delicious as gently caress :colbert:

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Tortilla sprinkled with some shredded cheese, nuked for 30 seconds and then doused with hot sauced before being rolled up.

Or the obvious: popcorn.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Chunky peanut butter: Can't sleep and going crazy in my frustrated exhauston? A glob of chunky knifed out of the jar.
This, except creamy and with a knife. Why creamy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcK8hqVpWzA

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Pan-fried SPAM with mustard, sliced raw onion, and green pepper on a toasted bun.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ColdPie posted:

Pan-fried SPAM with mustard, sliced raw onion, and green pepper on a toasted bun.

Imo if we are gonna include poo poo we have to cook then I'm gonna throw in whenever I go and just toss in some ramen (gross rear end spice packet removed) and whatever I find in the fridge and freezer and frying that poo poo up and pouring the noodles on top.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

Imo if we are gonna include poo poo we have to cook

I mean it takes like five minutes and it's one pan to wash. I can do that while hung over.

ActionHank
Nov 1, 2014
slices of cervalat (thuringer or summer sausage depending on what part of the country you're in) microwaved for 30 secs and thrown on a piece of white toast. don't buy cheep crap though, you'll be sorry

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

How has nobody mentioned quesadillas yet??? My girlfriend made one last night with jack cheese and red onions that was super tasty. It's like a sandwich but it only has one ingredient and you fry the poo poo out of it, yum.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Philip Rivers posted:

How has nobody mentioned quesadillas yet??? My girlfriend made one last night with jack cheese and red onions that was super tasty. It's like a sandwich but it only has one ingredient and you fry the poo poo out of it, yum.

I think my sister has a quesadilla maker or something.

radthibodaux
Nov 1, 2011

HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS

Lawman 0 posted:

I think my sister has a quesadilla maker or something.

Most people just call that a pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Loco moco is great bachelor chow.

Reheat some rice and gravy, fry up an egg and spam, slap them on top and chow down. Eggs go really well with gravy, seriously.

• Locked thread