Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

just look at this poo poo

why do we have to use rusty poo poo languages like ladder, ST, block diagrams and SFC in the year 2014?

gently caress you beckhoff, gently caress you bosch, gently caress you siemens. i'm trying to integrate opc communication with your poo poo software in my .NET application and you're full of poo poo.

namespaces? code re-use? nah, never heard of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

okay

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
ladder logic hell yea gonna tear up some PLCs in this bitch make mad assembly line poo poo go as efficiently as possible with a literal billion safety checks and double checks and triple checks and rechecks to make this insane

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i wanna program traffic signals

sounds autistic as gently caress

train signals maybe

chooo chooooo

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Sniep posted:

ladder logic hell yea gonna tear up some PLCs in this bitch make mad assembly line poo poo go as efficiently as possible with a literal billion safety checks and double checks and triple checks and rechecks to make this insane

gently caress yeah im gonna use a language that's older than my grandpa to run this factory. and im gonna use plc's which are basically just normal pc's but with a 100x factor in the price tag.

oh yeah, i forgot. it's "industrial" quality so you know the chip in that thing is more thoroughly tested!

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

need to make a real-time app? you need to use ST with a fixed cycle time. no, there's absolutely no other sane way to do it.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
ill bosch your siemens op

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

greybeards with tailstocks running windows 95

pram
Jun 10, 2001

good lord

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

mishaq posted:

train signals maybe

chooo chooooo

traffic signal poo poo is really bad and i hate it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

greybeards with tailstocks running windows 95

its actually xp but yes

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

thats what he said

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
e: wrong thread lol

Spar
Aug 28, 2009

mishaq posted:

train signals maybe

chooo chooooo

we plug the timing values into a gigantic fuckoff xlsm then print it out, sign it, scan it, email a pdf to a technician who finger-pokes it into the controller on a grey and black lcd display

the technician then writes the install date, mails the sheets back to us and it goes in a folder

its possible to gently caress up by a second then the controller freaks out and goes into red flash during rush hour

traffic signals suck

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Spar posted:

we plug the timing values into a gigantic fuckoff xlsm then print it out, sign it, scan it, email a pdf to a technician who finger-pokes it into the controller on a grey and black lcd display

the technician then writes the install date, mails the sheets back to us and it goes in a folder

its possible to gently caress up by a second then the controller freaks out and goes into red flash during rush hour

traffic signals suck

sounds like some hardcore as gently caress job security tho

people always gonna need dem traffic signals working, the more layers of inefficiency in the process due to short sighted government procurement the better

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i took a course in PLCs once (it was in the curriculum as a computer networking course but there was PLCs in it for some reason) and the prof warned us at the beginning not to short the relays and blow out their coils. guess who shorted the relays

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gazpacho posted:

i took a course in PLCs once (it was in the curriculum as a computer networking course but there was PLCs in it for some reason) and the prof warned us at the beginning not to short the relays and blow out their coils. guess who shorted the relays

It's u lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

wtf is the difference between a PLC and a microcontroller like an arduino or whatever

how complicated can the state logic for a traffic light be

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Lol yeah lemme just use a loving arduino for anything that matters what do I look like a clown

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
PLCs are like a box with lights on it and you plug stuff into it, and they don't cost 10 cents

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

Lol yeah lemme just use a loving arduino for anything that matters what do I look like a clown

actually, yes

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

mishaq posted:

wtf is the difference between a PLC and a microcontroller like an arduino or whatever

how complicated can the state logic for a traffic light be
from what I remember the PLC is designed to switch higher currents than a microcontroller board, the kind of currents you'd use to drive machinery or incandescent lights, and to keep doing this under harsher environmental conditions

ladder logic also has its purpose which is to describe the control system in a way that can be audited, kinda the same dream that motivated COBOL and i expect it's worked out the same way in practice

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

cool sonique skin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

sorry but k-jofol was the best

• Locked thread