Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the compliments on the car btw everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

a creepy colon posted:

Ok to clarify, the starter is turning fine.

The firing order is 1-3-4-2. So I didnt have much time today to tool around and decided to test just 1 & 3, so I cant say its 30psi across all cylinders but if it was uniform across all cylinders would you suspect head gasket? I will definitely check the other two next time im under the hood.

I'd say the opposite: if it's uniform across all cylinders, it's probably not the head gasket. Usually a HG will fail in one place, so you'll get low compression in one or two cylinders. If they're all low, I'd suspect valve carnage, or slipped timing. That's why I asked if the camshaft was turning when you cranked it.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I am definitely going to check timing marks tomorrow.

If it slipped timing, would that prevent start and ignition?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

a creepy colon posted:

Yeah I am definitely going to check timing marks tomorrow.

If it slipped timing, would that prevent start and ignition?

You should still get spark, but if it's off a couple teeth such that the valves are open when it's trying to build compression, it won't have enough compression to ignite.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Yeah, if every cylinder has low compression and it's non-interference, then it could mean that the timing is off.

If the camshaft wasn't spinning then you'd have 'all or nothing' per cylinder, depending on where each valve ended up.

I've never heard of a head gasket blowing out equally for all cylinders.

I'd take the timing covers off and verify that the timing marks still line up.

• Locked thread