Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Everybody likes games - I got quite a few in my steam inventory and I want to give them away to goons!

Rules:
-Post in thread that you are interested, and why you should be the one that gets one of the free games - heartbreaking or downright hillarious - either works. Popcorn value is appriciated but not needed.
-Games for yourself... Im not giving you gifts to give away for christmas... This will be trust based, if you break this rule and I get a note of it - I will force you to play Big Rigs Racing for a whole week
-Winners get the game by Steam.
-Post a minor review of how terrible the game was in the thread - pictures of you crying is encouraged.
-I will not give away all the games at once but spread it out over time.
-All games are Steam and in English unless otherwise stated.

Games List:
Give away done for now!

Given Away:
X-Com: Enemy Unknown [Went to Deadmeat5150]
Half-Life 2: Episode 1 [Went to Pookum]
FarCry 3 [Went to Peaceful Anarchy]

Uxzuigal fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
You might want to move this to the Private Server board and the steam gifting thread.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
You should give me Far Cry 3 because no one else cares about this thread.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Giving away a free copy of hit multiplayer shooter Team Fortress 2 to whoever can write the best essay on The Grapes of Wrath, specifically chapter 7. 500-750 words, need it before Friday (don't ask why or you're disqualified)

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Det_no posted:

You might want to move this to the Private Server board and the steam gifting thread.

Thanks, I tried searching and lurking for such a thread but missed this one :)

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I would take the half life 2. my steam name is uhhh pookum. Any cool game you got that would run on a laptop would be better though Ive already played half life 2 once before

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Pookum posted:

I would take the half life 2. my steam name is uhhh pookum. Any cool game you got that would run on a laptop would be better though Ive already played half life 2 once before

Cant send you a PM, post your Steam id and ill toss over Episode 1 since you've played HL2. :>

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'd really love that Enemy Unknown. Steam ID is the same as username. You rock if this is true.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

Uxzuigal posted:

Cant send you a PM, post your Steam id and ill toss over Episode 1 since you've played HL2. :>

ok i think my steam id is pookum

edit: or is it a number?

ok got this steamcommunity.com/id/pookum

the other pookum is me too but i can only log into that account on a 7 year old laptop so i dont get on it

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Added you both :>

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Rocket sauce, man. Thankyou. I've been wanting this for a while now.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
I sure wouldn't mind that Bioshock. My reason is that I used to date a really crazy girl, who would like scream at people in public, including the immigrants in her building who didn't speak English, who were super confused. She would also have temper tantrums in her apartment and like smash her closet door. Anyway, after we broke up she started reading Atlas Shrugged, so rather than read that I want to play Bioshock so I can be knowledgeable enough in her interests to win her back and get married. Steam id is Shartacus. Thanks

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

I sure wouldn't mind that Bioshock. My reason is that I used to date a really crazy girl, who would like scream at people in public, including the immigrants in her building who didn't speak English, who were super confused. She would also have temper tantrums in her apartment and like smash her closet door. Anyway, after we broke up she started reading Atlas Shrugged, so rather than read that I want to play Bioshock so I can be knowledgeable enough in her interests to win her back and get married. Steam id is Shartacus. Thanks

I wish you good luck on your adventerous ambition for dying a horrible, slow and painful death - Bioshock is yours :>

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Uxzuigal posted:

I wish you good luck on your adventerous ambition for dying a horrible, slow and painful death - Bioshock is yours :>

Whoops, look like it must have gone to one of the other Shartacus' on steam. Probably should have given more specific information. Oh well, thanks anyway, is a man not entitled to the gift on his steam etc.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

You should give me Far Cry 3 because as a minority I'm very aware that it's important for white people to feel guilty about their priviledge, but I don't really know what it's like from the perspective of a powerful white person who has to deal with this guilt. I understand Far Cry 3 is about a spoiled white guy realizing he should feel guilty and becoming powerful and helping out minorities, so it seems like it would be very instructive of the struggles rich white people face.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
PB: Added the other account. :>

- - - -

Awesome Peaceful Anarchy - Far Cry 3 is definitivly yours - toss me your Steam ID :)
(if there are several by same name, put (SA) in your name tag please.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Uxzuigal posted:

PB: Added the other account. :>

- - - -

Awesome Peaceful Anarchy - Far Cry 3 is definitivly yours - toss me your Steam ID :)
(if there are several by same name, put (SA) in your name tag please.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/PeacefulAnarchy/
Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Far Cry 3 first impressions:
No review of a ubisoft game would be complete without a reminder that uplay is crap, so lets start there. Turns out Far Cry 3 was not a steam code, or a uplay code but rather a ubisoft store code. But no, even then it wasn't that simple, it was a country locked ubisoft store code, so we had to do some account juggling to be able to redeem it. Auspicious start. Uplay launches quickly, I'll give it that, but otherwise it's an annoying mess. At least it hasn't eaten my saves yet.

The game starts off with a nice shot of entitled spoiled white rich brats partying on a beach. I can see it's going to really test my willingness to identify with the main character. Shortly after I realize the guy on the cover is actually the villain, which is a shame because he seems much cooler than the pussy main character and his army brat brother. An escape sequence ensues which serves as a tutorial of sorts I guess. What I'm getting is that crouching is magic that makes you disappear, except when it doesn't. The bright yellow beacon that tells me where to go feels unnecessarily hand holding, but I don't mind a little hand holding so I'm not too bothered. Next we get a black guy who anoints me as the future white saviour, and that I shall grow into the role thanks to magic tattoos. So now I'm torn between thinking my character is a weak whiny idiot and that the natives are silly and backwards. Is that what white guilt feels like? It's really uncomfortable. It should be noted that the black guy who appears to be my guide through the game is also not a native. They really can't catch a break.

So my first mission is to flip a switch on a radio tower, which requires no fighting at all and makes me wonder why they didn't do it themselves. Do they have a fear of heights or something? I'm afraid of heights, so no judging from me, but it's weird. Anyway, then I get sent to kill some animals and pick some flowers. I like that my character is disgusted every time he skins an animal, it's a nice touch. The animal skins and flowers/leaves are part of a crafting system of sorts that lets you upgrade your gear and make potions syringes. I don't know how well this will work over the course of the game, but it's a neat idea for now.

Then I'm sent on my first raid to take over an outpost from the bad guys. I guess I suck at stealth because while I tried to sneak in and got deep into the camp, as soon as I killed the first guy it turned into a raging gun battle. Not sure why the natives need my sorry white rear end, they seem to be much better fighters than I am.

Finally get to do some exploring, the more red shirted enemies I kill, and the more I get how I'm supposed to approach combat in this game, the more I'm enjoying it.

I'm now I guess about 15-20% through the game some quick thoughts:
-The crafting system is ok for what it is, but making syringes, which have a limited inventory space is a bit annoying, as is using them.
-Actually, the entire inventory menu system and everything accompanying it is very clunky and requires way more clicks than it should.
-I'm playing on normal difficulty and I like the game's balance, not too hard if you're careful, but the enemies aren't total dummies. I don't usually use grenades in games but they're very useful here.
-I like the unlocking zones and liberating the islance structure to the game.
-I don't like that skills are locked in batches by the main story missions, which means if you play methodically and do side missions before following the main plot you can have more skill points than skills to put points into.
-The story, so far at least, isn't the mess I feared, but it's also not that good. Typical video game stuff.
-Overall the game has some rough edges I wouldn't have expected in a AAA game, but the gameplay is solid and that's the most important part so I'm enjoying it. On the other hand, it is, so far, not as good of a white guilt simulator as the opening half hour and reviews led me to believe.

Thanks again for the game.

• Locked thread