Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Mungly Mung
Putchyer scrunt in my cow hole

Mung descends into the grox pens and his face lights up in more ways than one. The built in photo-visors on his new helmet cut through the gloom and gave him a clear view of all his surroundings. To his delight, even in the middle of this grox pit he readily spotted cogitator consoles in the large room. The techscrunt drops his prisoners and beeps an attention signal to his techrats, ordering them to hold the man down.

The techscrunt mills over the console and presses a couple of buttons nearly at random before he hears the commotion. Cautiously, Mung unslings his tech-heretical flamer, looking for something worth burning.

-----

Put me in front of the red computer console on the right. The prisioner will be held down by the techrats somewhere narratively convenient since the rats are basically non-combat and the prisoner probably is fine being held down. Readying my flamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Drekk
SCRUNTS. IN. SPAAAAAACEEEEE!!!!!
Wounds: 12
The Jungle
Fate Points: 1/2

"'Ey Widget, watch dis!" Drekk casually strolls near a grox and drops his pants, exposing his scrunty genitalia at the beast, causing the creatures to bellow in distress and potentially make them enraged.

After his mentally scarring "prank", he and Widget notice the other scrunts scrambling around, possibly preparing for a fight. He positions himself near the mycroprotein heap, ready to set it aflame at a moment's notice.

---

I'm gonna be super crafty and hang by the heap to set it on fire :flame:

Also the grox may or may not be pissed off.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

which grox quadrant have you shown your dick to

why is this a question that i need to ask

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

which grox quadrant have you shown your dick to

why is this a question that i need to ask

I flash my scrunt dick at a grox at a quadrant 2 squares north from the ignitable fungal shitpile

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
While I'm thinking about it, something I should point out in advance is that my armor gives me good quality photo visors, allowing me to see in the dark and giving immunity to photo flash grenades and other blinding effects on top of all the other nonsense immunities I get for being a trash golem.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yurik Scraglagger
The Belly of the Beast
In Spaaaaace
Fate Points 2/2
Wounds 8/12
Local Area Map

Yurik scowled into the grox-scented gloom as he hastily scrutinized the tactical situation before them. A four-way intersection of passages converging upon their current location, one of which was blocked off, meant that there was a 100% chance of them being attacked from 75% of the avenues of approach which made for an overall danger quotient of some 750%, far too high for his liking. There were only so many other scrunts he could have "valiantly sacrifice" themselves to ensure his own survival, the bulk of their populace still scuttling about the subterranean complex they had claimed for their own, blissfully ignorant of matters transpiring far, far above the planet's surface.

To that end, something needed to be done to even the odds. Fortunately the Loremaster happened to have several somethings that could do so with suitably gruesome results.

Since everybody seems to be hanging out in the heap to the south, Yurik is going to try and keep the group from getting ambushed from the eastern side. To do this he's going to employ his Reusable Snare Mine, this time loading one of his incredibly dangerous Iron-Eater Grenades into the trap, then he'll also set up his mancatchers if he has time. I'd like to place them a little further in from the eastern doorway so they don't get melted by the grenade if it goes off, and IF Yurik has time I'd also like to throw some straw and muck on top of them to camouflage them, let me know if this is TOO MUCH STUFF to do in the time allotted. I mean we have our companions, so Hack can do some of the heavy lifting.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Groin Sklunger

Groin revs his engine next to the red computer.

_______

Paranoia check?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

paranoia is off the charts. it's spooky

in terms of tangible benefits, that will come if anything tries surprising you

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Doing me a concern

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Metal Groxes
Orbit
Heavenly Fist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eGAF2_00eM

The grox-noises reach a crescendo, and it's probably not entirely to do with Drekk exposing himself at the poor animals. Yurik feverishly distributes defensive munitions, being apparently the only scrunt with a sense of foreboding - "overwatch" being a foreign concept to the creatures. He manages to get everything deployed with the aid of Hack, but there's no time to cover them with grox-poo poo before everything kicks off - he'll have to hope that darkness performs the job of concealment. Mung pokes at the console in front of him, discovering that it controls the electrical fences running north-south that keep the grox penned in; it could probably be overcharged. Judging by the network links, the console to the north must control the nearby threshing machinery.

The pervasive sense of dread gets stronger, stronger, until with a baffling sense of dislocation, jerky and disjointed movement can be seen. Torchbeams from the nervous scrunts project out as far as they can mangage; gleams of metal interspersed with clotted groxblood are the result. To the north and south, a trio of beclawed, armoured monsters haul themselves from the pits, jerking themselves upright like marionettes as they collect themselves. Their claws seem like they could sheer through the metal deck with no apparent effort. To the west, a thrumming cloud of smaller metal creatures coalesces out of nooks and crannies, chittering and sparking.

The grox react with horror. They fall over themselves in an attempt to get out of line-of-sight from the bipedal metal creatures, although the smaller buzzy ones don't seem to cause them much concern. The grox recently flashed by Drekk appear ready to charge, although whether this is out of hatred or lust is uncertain.

----

scrint

so, some flayed ones have shown up from the depths of this idiot hellship. they haven't surprised you because, well, it's pretty fuckin' obvious something was gonna happen, but you also don't get to shoot at them as they claw their way out from the underdecks because no-one went on overwatch. they're out of charge range for this first round, fyi - i don't think that's much of a spoiler, you can see how quickly the things move. those of you with relevant Lore skills (e.g. Imperial Guard, War) can do a Free Action test to see if you can guess what they are, and approximately how tough they are.

scarabs are +20 to hit due to swarm size

mung console commandos; he can Tech-Use as half action, it's a +20 roll and the more DoS you get the more power you route to the fences.

you can shoot through fences but if you shoot through grox and you don't have a height advantage (i.e. you're not on top of something), it's -20, any misses hit the groxes.

also it's -20 to hit any non-illuminated creatures. currently only the scarabs are illuminated, but it's a safe bet that the flayed ones - given that they don't have any kind of ranged weapons - are looking to close the distance. so if you are after them in init order, they will probably be within range of your own torch.

big stack of boxes in the centre is your missile parts. if they take too much damage, your slam sector plans may be in trouble.

(groin's paranoia is why he's top of the init list again, woo)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Murdelia

It wasn't that long ago that Murdelia would have taken cover in a situation like this and waited for the worst of the carnage to die down, so she could get to the interesting bits. Specifically, amputating the interesting bits from her fellow scrunts, in the name of medical science.

But a lot has happened lately and the most recent development was especially transformative. She is feeling really pretty dang invincible in this hulking power armour suit and what's more, the poo poo coming at them on first glance does not appear to even have the decency to be made of meat, which is really going to put a damper on any attempts at necropsy.

With those things in mind, the scrunt medic (scredic) stomps noisily out of any semblance of cover and begins mowing down the oncoming... whatever they were... with her most blasty weaponry!

shoot the 2-KLMN with her scrunt boltgun as a full round action I guess, don't forget mighty shot and if anyone else shoots at them double team too

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 9, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
^^^ Double team only works in melee.

Mungly Mung - Yoshimi Trash Golem battles the Pink eldritch robots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViB5nnPRuYo

Wounds: 12/12
Fate: 21/2

Mungs senses go into overdrive as the robots present themselves. His otherwise rather pathetic reaction times became augmented when one of the recently installed gizmos in his head briefly sparked and the words Reflex augmentation activated briefly pop up in the corner of one of his eyes. A sudden rush of powerful synthetic adrenaline hits what remains of his fleshy bits and before he knows it he's shouting obscenities incoherently while blasting these newfound robots with his flaming air burst gun. After the first blast, while the fuel chamber was refilling, Mung set himself to smash as many buttons on the console as he could.

-------

Spending a fate point to move me to the top of the initiative list. Half action flaming the north group, half action tech use to activate electric fences.

Activating the fences http://orokos.com/roll/493979 Fails miserably.

Edit: Mung has photo-visors and thus night vision, shouldn't be affected by the -20 to hit penalty. Ideally I'm going to be lifting my gun to shoot over the computer, but I guess if you want to light it up for yuks thats fine too.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 9, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ain't no darkness penalty on a Spray weapon

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Fair enough. Since I'm moving to the top of the initiative would it be fair to assume anything I potentially lit on fire doesn't count as being in the dark for anyone behind me in initiative whom don't have night vision?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

anything aflame shows up nicely in darkness, yes

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Grug METAL SKELLIES!
Fate: 2/2

'What the feck Grumb, what the FECK...', addressing his Grumb look alike companion, 'Wait til they get closer...' he wisely replies.

Switching to my super sweet plasma gun for nuthin

Ranged Volley from Twonk (+5BS) and setting overwatch with Grug (total BS 60) - semi auto fire with the plasma gun on it's regular setting when the southern gribblies get into the light area.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Grimply

Wounds: 9
Fate: 1/2

Grimply's natural scruntstincts didn't fail him. The overwhelming urge to burrow into a heap of stuff is a sure sign that there's something dangerous around. And ho boy these robit humies sure look dangerous with their knife hands and everything. For a second Grimply entertains the idea of digging deeper into his pile but he luckily realizes that robits will probably not be fooled by that. Just as he starts to wiggle out of the festering heap, chittering noises from the west can be heard below the panicked screeches of the humie animals. It sounds like...a lot of tiny metal feet? From a lot of tiny humie robits??

"Yer sneaky fackin gits..."

I use quickdraw to ready a frag grenade and then delay my turn until the scarab group has acted. Then I'll give em my load

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Grumb Slanger, hiding in compost

Grumb gasps at the sight of the shambling metallic beasts headed his way. He coughs, swallows a mouthful of mycoprotein and draws a bead on the Flayed Ones as best he can from inside the heap.

-------------------
Going on overwatch to fire at the southern flayed ones as soon as they're clearly visible. If there's a way to hit more than one with the blast that would be ideal.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Drekk
SCRUNTS. IN. SPAAAAAACEEEEE!!!!!
Wounds: 12
The Jungle
Fate Points: 1/2

Drekk takes out a red pineapple-shaped object with WARNING: PROMETHIUM GRENADE, HANDLE WITH CARE stenciled on the side and holds it, waiting for the metal bug swarm to come a bit closer before tossing it.

---

:effort::hf::scrunt:

Drekk swaps the flamer for the flame grenade (not pulling the pin yet!) and delays the next action, making the sure the scarabs come closer before chucking it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Flaying it Safe
Orbit
Heavenly Fist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVorNWS4AaA

Groin idles casually, awaiting the approach of the hide-swaddled metallic creatures. He revs his ersatz gravbike a few times.

Yurik gibbers and yees to himself absently - he doesn't have direct line of sight on a lit-up assailant, and, lazy scrunt that he is, he's used to using his minds eye to do most of his seeing. He doesn't sense any hostile minds coming towards him, so he occupies his time picking idly at the lumps on his nose.

Drekk, taciturn, frowns and adjusts his posture, palming an aggressively red incendiary device. He judges the progress of the encroaching insectoid swarm, tossing the grenade idly from hand to hand as he does so.

Murdelia is the first scrunt to crack and open fire, a shattering DAK-KA ringing out over the nervous lowing of grox. The metallic skeletons to the north are busy clambering over the powered-down threshing machinery of the auto-packaging plant, and even through the gloom she is able to send a whistling bolt shell in between the armour plating of its hip. The round detonates solidly, blowing a spray of silvery shards back into the pit from whence it came; the creature appears rocked, and now visibly favours one leg, but does not give any visible indication of pain.

The northern creatures scuttle and clank over the threshing machinery, hissing and moaning. They stay out of the flickering torchbeams of the scrunts, continuing to slink in shadow.

Grug juggles his weapons with practised ease, and waits for the southern quarry to come into range...

Chuggo swats the air and tugs at his nose a little. He seems agitated, and confused.

Grumb, swathed in filth as he is, is happier than the rest of the scruntherd. He is almost cheerful as he powers up his multimelta, ready to blaze off a shot once the southern skelemonsters scuttle into range...

...which they do so with alacrity. Unlike their northern brethren, the southern bunch skitter forward with janky, jerky movements. With a flash of their claws, they are practically upon the scrunts!

Naturally, the squad are having none of that. Grug yees frantically and opens up at point blank on the hosed-up skeleton rearing in front of him, clipping off a pair of energy bolts into centre mass which detonate with a roaring KLAM. The creature sparks and whirrs; its torso is mostly melted, and blinky lights can be seen on the inside. It's in a very bad way. Grumb, not to be outdone, gets the jump on the skeleton currently squaring up to Drekk. A hyperpowered burst of microwave radiation takes the creature full in the chest, melting away its body within fractions of a second. The reek of burnt electronics, hair and leather fills the air, along with what sounds like the screaming of the Emperor's own kettle; as the twitching limbs drop to the ground, they slowly appear to fade from view.

Grimply, ensconced behind a small heap of filth, plays with his dangerously explosive globes, as is his wont. He readies himself to fling a grenade at the encroaching metal insects...

...which drift closer, hovering eerily, jerking around with erratic flicks of their wings...

...but Drekk beats him to it, hoiking his promethium canister through the air in a perfect arc, timing the airburst so it drenches the entire swarm with flaming gel. A few of the devices fall from the air, twitching, but most of them simply shrug off the flames, and keep on hovering towards the squad. More and more of them appear to be suffering, and eventually, unless the flames are extinguished the swarm will certainly shrivel and die.

Grimply's grenade lands in front of the swarm with a faint plop. It detonates normally, but most of the swarm are merely buffeted by the explosion, shrapnel pinging off their metallic hides.

Mung bides his time, heightened reflexes screaming for action - his mentally slaved rats fail to bypass the console in front of him, and he unleashes his frustration in a torrent of abuse and volatile fuel-air mixture. The three skeletal forms to the north are drenched in a fine mist of jetfuel, and when the detonation laser crackles through the cloud a fraction of a second later, they are all suddenly at the centre of a raging inferno. Their metal skin buckles and flows under the sudden ferocious heat, and their hide drapings begin to catch, char, and burn; one skeleton is blown clean off its feet by the blast; it thrashes, ineffectually but with horrible speed.

With so much flame being thrown around the place, the Grox naturally go absolutely apeshit. They are terrified of the metal creatures currently attacking the scrunts, and they are not fans of the naked flame, so their reaction to flaming metal skeletons is far from measures. The herd convulses like a drunk's stomach, and animals attempt to get as far away from the flaming skeletons first, regular flames second, regular skeletons third, and the scrunts a distant fourth. For many of the squad, this is the first time they have been the least objectionable thing in a given room, and it is a peculiar feeling.

To the north-west, grox are forced against the fencing surrounding the pit to the lower-decks. South-western grox press up against the electric fence there, too; lowing and crackling fills the air, and it buckles under the weight of angry animals. Eastern grox spill onto the walkway, feet uncertain on the anti-grox grilles. They come perilously close to Yurik's booby traps and, possibly more to the point, close off the squad's preferred avenue of escape.

---

scrunt

groin and yurik do not post

mung rockets to nearly the top of the initiative list. except i forgot about this, and discovered it at the end of the post.

thing is, the necrons were barely out of range of your flamer initially, so this actually kinda shoots yourself in the foot. because Murdelia hit anyway, and you failed to do the fences properly, i will instead take your actions for this round as "delay until necrons are in range, fire flamer, and have some technorats do the hacking" because it works out the same and does not waste your time. alternatively you might wanna just take back the fatepoint; up to you.

drekk is the first scrunt to actually do a thing; i will assume you are happy tossing the 'nade at long range, otherwise you've wasted a turn

murdelia shoots! i will assume it's a single shot as flayed ones are currently in darkness and you want to maximise your chances of hitting, but i don't see any Comrade orders so you're firing on your own for this. roll of 49 vs TN of 45 (BS) + 10 (SS) + 10 (aim) -20 (darkness) + 10 (short range) means you actually connect. 1d10+7 pen 4 tearing damage, +2 for Mighty Shot; naturally it's a righteous fury, doing 19 pen 4 damage before soak + 3 Crit to the leg; that's 13 AG damage, so it drops a movement band.

flayed ones to the north fail the regen test; they stumble forward, Full Move, 8m/6m respectively, but still out of the light. no obvious grox reaction.

grug, grumb overwatch; chuggo thrashes around aimlessly.

south necrons Run forwards; they are in charge range now. they trigger overwatch from Grug and Grumb.

• grug gets 62 VS TN 60 - 20 (Run) + 30 (Point Blank) for a total 3DoS, or two hits. he does very solid damage, 14 and 15 with pen 7; the skelly he hits is near destruction
  • grumb gets a shot off; i will give you the benefit of Surprise for this round, because compost is not normally lethal. 57 vs TN 60 + 10 (Short Range) +10 (SS) - 20 (Run) + 30 (surprise) = a hit. can't get two, i'm afraid. regardless, the thing is totally slagged; no Regen roll next round for this one, it's hosed.

grimply plays with his ball; i'm not going to wait until you get into normal range, as that's 4m.

scarabs hover closer. yee.

drekk and grimply loose their balls. TN is BS + 10 (size) - 10 (range); Drekk, despite having no BS, actually connects directly; Grimply, amazingly, also connects.

drekk does 8 damage pre-soak. they're aflame. being Machines, though, they don't care; they take damage as normal, can put themselves out if they choose to take the AG test, and have a chance of setting melee targets alight now. have fun!!

grimply does 10 damage pre-soak.

mung does his first-last flameblast; none of the flayed ones evade. they all have real poo poo agility and no Dodge trained, but Unnatural AG to let them actually move at a reasonable clip. obviously he righteous furies on two hits (14 damage pre-soak), but the third, already-damage necron just gets 10 damage pre-soak. none of them avoid catching on fire.

righteous fury is 2 and 1 on the body, respectively. i am upgrading the 1 to a 2 because "air is knocked from the body" doesn't make sense for necrons and gently caress you i'm not reskinning it. first necron is unscathed, the other (upgraded) is knocked Prone.

scrunts that did not act have a Delayed half action to spend prior to their next turn

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
[quote="Liquid Dinosaur" post="467922338"]
Chuggo

Fate points: 3/3

Chuggo suddenly rouses himself from his long stupor, loudly blinking as he surveys his surrounding, finding strange metal men wearing stylish coats all around him. He had been almost completely catatonic for Scuntperor knows how long, and honestly does not even remember how he got where he is now, or why they are fighting these things. He briefly notes to try and review his short term memories after he has had a chance to get back into sorts by killing poo poo.

He lets out a snort and a giggle and fires his gun in the general direction of a nasty.
NAUTRAL FECKIN' 00. An unpleasant noise and sound belches forth from his lovely shotgun. Without giving it much thought he charges at the Flayed One on P-23.

Aaaaand, he completely misses the loving thing lodging his crusty, moist chainsword directly into the floor next to it. Get it together, dipshit! He yanks the sword out of the floor tiles, looking between his sword and the robot, trying to make sense of why the former is not inside the latter.

--------
Chuggo tried to shoot a Flayed One, failing and jamming his gun. He then charged at the P-23 Flayed One and missed his attack.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yurik Scraglagger
The Belly of the Beast
In Spaaaaace
Fate Points 2/2 -> 1/2
Wounds 8/12
Local Area Map

Yurik was indeed gibbering to himself for a variety of reasons, the most pressing and immediate being the fact that they were under attack by Necrons. Having jostled loose a vague understanding of Necrons from the disorganized refuse pile that was his overstuffed memory had caused further snippets of heavily redacted and highly heretical information to come cascading down the mounds of mnemonic detritus like a oozing trickle of toxic runoff, records of panicked astropathic communiques pleading for assistance and glimpses of pict-recorder footage of legions of implacable metallic skeletons vaporizing screaming soldiers bolts of hellish green light.

Even worse was the creatures' strange lack of psychic presence, appearing as little more than uncomfortably unnoticeable absences in the swirling eddies of the Immaterium. The Loremaster could see them well enough, or at least see glimpses of them as the other scrunts opened fire (figuratively and literally) upon them, but he couldn't see them with the senses that mattered far more to him than his default ones did. The idea of a being that could go completely undetected by the most powerful and fearsome psyker in the known universe (himself) was enough to send a cold chill running down his spine.

Even worse than that was that the Necrons were coming from every direction but the one he had cunningly festooned with traps which meant that all his careful planning, all his calculated odds and probabilistic threat matrices, were all for naught. Taken together it was little wonder that the only sound the Loremaster was currently making was a high-pitched, thready wheezing offset by the incongruously soothing hum of the glowing artifact affixed to the end of his thinkin' stick as he gesticulated wildly, swinging it this way and that as he underwent a brief but exceedingly thorough panic attack at the prospect of his imminent but exceedingly thorough demise.

Stress, as any Inquisitor worth his rosette could tell you (before he had to kill you), was an excellent whetstone for psychic potential. In those with latent potential, stress and trauma were often the catalysts which led to a full-fledged eruption of uncontrollable power. In those whose powers had already had time to develop, such catalysts could still produce potent and dramatic results. The fabric of reality began to ripple and writhe as Yurik's mind frantically began to claw at it, scrabbling for purchase like a rabid sump-rat, until something tore and gave way with a sound like a voxcaster dying a violent death and a refreshing smell of ozone, the air pulsing in a shower of sparks around the swarm of robotic insects bearing down on Grimply's position.

For my generously banked half-action Yurik will scuttle closer to the pallet of extremely sensitive nuclear missile components, not really for cover so much but just to reposition.

Okay, so I have 500xp floating around unspent since we last gained it, so I'm gonna go ahead and spend it right now because I'm an edgy rebel that doesn't conform to society's norms, man. First we'll spent 200xp to purchase the psychic power Assail which is a Telekinetic power that basically functions in a similar fashion to Yurik's Spontaneous Combustion power, it's the vanilla damage-dealer of the TK power tree, it does 1d10+Psi Impact Damage (Pen 2) to people by chucking random poo poo at them and if I score 3 DoS on an attack with it the target gets knocked back on their rear end.

But I'm really only buying THAT power so I can spend 300xp on the next one, which is Objuration Mechanicum. What this effectively does is let me use my terrifying brain sorcery to conjure Haywire Fields wherever I please. Now this seems like it would be a fantastic idea except while I have a generous TN of 80 to roll under, I wind up rolling an 88 which is not only a failure but also a natural double and you know what THAT means. It would be amusing to let this stand as a complete fuckup that also backfires horribly on all of us buuuuut I'm actually afraid enough of being eaten by Necrons that I'm going to spend a precious fate point to reroll that poo poo. 25 is a much better result. Down to 1 fate point.

So a 6 meter Haywire Field is now dropped square on the middle of the Scarab swarm. To determine how helpful this is I roll on yet another random loving chart and get a 6 on a 1d10 which is good enough to produce the following effect:

quote:

Major Disruption: All actions utilising technology, including firing Ranged weapons without the Primitive Quality, Tech-Use Tests, and any physical actions attempted while wearing power armour or employing cybernetics, suffer a –20 penalty. The Base Movement of anyone in power armour is reduced by 3. Melee weapons with technological components function as a Primitive weapon of the analogous type.

What does this do to Scarabs? I have no clue, but hopefully nothing good. This field persists and will reduce in intensity each round, so this round it'll be a Major Disruption, next round a Minor Disruption, and then on the third round it'll be spent entirely. Hopefully this is enough of a window to let the more shooty scrunts destroy them while keeping them from destroying said scrunts in turn. You're welcome.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Mungly Mung - Fire Fighting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en1uwIzI3SE

Mung cackle's gleefully at the sight of the abominable pyre of metal and flesh that now encroaches from the north. He bangs on the side of his burncaster with the flat of his hand to shake more fuel into the discharge chamber faster before letting loose with another pyroclasm at the clawed abominations making their way toward him. In the back of his mind he can still vaguely hear his techrats beeping and chirping to him in binary coding, attempting to bring the fences online. With a loud spark and a surprised squeak from one of the rats, the console flickers to life and the sound of capacitors charging and transformers humming to life begin filling the air.

-----

Firing another shot at the group of robots, as far as my last turn was concerned Fate point into overwatch probably makes the most sense, I still want to be ahead of these guys on initiative.

With my other half action will be to tech use the panel to electrify it. Which is actually successful this time 35 vs 65 (55 int, +10 Tech use, *Maybe+10 if you allow comrade servo arm advance to apply to bringing the panel online, since it technically only applies for repair work) makes it 4 degrees of success, (5 if you count the comrade servo arm)

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 2, 2017

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Another :effort: scrunting: Drekk takes out his autogun and uses semi-auto burst (plus ranged volley) on the flayed one

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Murdelia

Murdelia suddenly realizes there's a scrunt tugging on her shoulder. Oh. It's Arnika. Oh yeah! She'd been feeling so invincible in her stompy power armour that she forgot that an assistant was available for various convenient purposes and abuse.

"SPOT FOR ME ARNIKA" she booms quietly from her helmet's loudspeaker, and then continues to blast away at the nearest death robots.

full action shooting, arnika provides ranged volley, shoot the nearest death robots. If they're still in the dark we'll stick with single shot, but if they're illuminated (perhaps by murdelia's armour?) then do a burst or something.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
^^^ I mean, the group to the north is all on fire and will continue to be, so it's a pretty safe guess that they are illuminated.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Grug METAL SKELLIES!

The metal skelly is frazzled but right up in his face regardless, 'fffeeeeeeeCK!' he squees. 'Shoot!!!!' screams Twonk, sagely, and Grug dutifully obeys...

Ranged Volley from Twonk (+5BS) and blasting away again at the closest skelly with the plasma gun on semi auto, getting a respectable http://orokos.com/roll/507664: 1d100 24 for 3 degrees of success (but a max of 2 hits, boo), then another semi-auto at the next robo-skelly at short range getting http://orokos.com/roll/507670: 1d100 53 for a single hit.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Grimply

Wounds: 9

I use quickdraw to ready my auto gun and full-auto blast the scarab swarm with Flet aiming for me

31 vs 55 (45+10)

Not the worst I guess

Scrunt Rifle (Autogun - Basic / 100m / S/3/10 / 1d10+3 I / pen 0 / clip 30 / Full reload)

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Grumb Slanger, hiding in compost

Grumb feels so safe right now. Hiding out here in a rotting pile of compost feels right to him. He feels so safe and warm. Grumb blinks woozily, beginning to nod off in the pile of decomposing biomaterial. Maybe he should just take a quick nap, and he'd be right back to work as soon as he... as soon as...

"NO!" Grumb yells, thrashing and stomping his way out of the seductive heap. "I AM ALIVE!"

He blasts his multimelta wildly in the direction of the flayed ones to the south.

-------------------

shoot a necron: 1d100 36 2d10+16 30 for my attack+damage roll should beat my TN at such short range, even without any bonuses from barry.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 23, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Thriller, But With Robots
Orbit
Heavenly Fist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN5YntoTFKw

Groin once again does absolutely gently caress all, his metal arm swinging around of its own volition. Presumably rooting for the oncoming robots, it swiftly thumps the scrunt in the testicles, causing him to shriek and wince in pain - if he doesn't get moving soon, his arm will doubtless seek to cause even more damage.

Mung, servos whining, manages to readjust and slam off another pyroclastic blast from his flamer with alarming speed. Unfortunately for the scrunt, he may be fast but he can't beat electrons; two of the robotic creatures to the north have already reconfigured their approach and the leftmost one ducks below the flame blast, flattening itself to the deck like a crab before rearing back up to their full height. The second is already on its back, but seems to be having some trouble standing. The third attempts the same, but is too heavily damaged to react in time; superheated, it drops to the ground, twitching and smoking. While spraying fuel downrange, the technoscrunt's servo arm is busy gesticulating at the rats to interface faster with the console in front of him; successfully powering it up, they diverts juice to the electric fences. They crackle and whine as enough current to severely discourage a grox begins to run through them.

Yurik, brain racing with abhorrently scrunty thoughts, hammers down another barrier between his will and reality and projects a coruscating anti-technology at the hovering swarm of insectoid robots to the west. They fall from the air like blossom, raining down on the deck, wings sparking and twitching. They're moving incredibly slowly - but they're still moving.

Drekk, apparently forgetting that he excels in melee, whips out his autogun and attempts to hose down the nearest necron with a gun unlikely to scratch its paintwork. None of his shots find their mark.

Murdelia has the creatures in front of her dead to rights - planting her feet firmly, she squeezes off another volley of shots just as the electric fence comes online and frazzles the poo poo out of a nearby grox. Having an incredibly loud bellow in her ear - even after autosense correction - is enough to startle the scrunt medic, sending her shots hurtling off into the distance without so much as glancing off the robots.

The northern creatures stumble forwards through the flames. The leftmost one, wounded and aflame, dashes past the firing line of scrunts into the central area, seeking relief from the constant gouts of fire blasted at it by red-robed maniacs. The middle one rises to its feet and stamps onwards. The rightmost one, the dead one... rises to its feet once more, and stumbles onwards. The flames continue to wreck havoc on their wiring and general motor ability, but for now they're still moving.

Grug slams a salvo of blue bolts into the torso and face of the nearest robot, melting most of its superstructure in the process. It drops to the floor; its molten chassis bending and twisting in curious ways...

Chuggo blazes away merrily before bounding into combat like a particularly enthusiastic and scabrous dog; the sort that tries to gently caress your regular, normal dog when you're out walking it, and you have to chase it off with a stick, only then it steals the stick from you and starts slobbering all over it and thinks that now you're playing a game, and then it gets underfoot accidentally and you trip on it, and you step down heavily by accident and then you're just stomping, stomping, stomping and there's all this barking and wet cracks and screaming and then you have to run home and hide in the shed. Anyway, he misses with his attack.

Grumb, cursing, now has his shot obscured by the quivering pink nose of the Scruntgeant. Still, he's dealt with worse conditions before, and he snaps off a crisp beam of microwave radiation, slaying Chuggo's assailant.

The southern creatures are mostly engaged in the business of crackling, twitching and melting at this point. All three of them go completely offline.

Grimply, seemingly out of confusion, swaps out his powerful laser weapon for a janky scrunt autorifle, and blasts off a few rounds at the scarab swarm. Bullets plink and spang off their armoured carapaces, but he manages to scrap a few of them as they scurry on the ground.

The insectoid creatures, unable to move with any speed, can only creep forward in an attempt to get out of the EMP field summoned around them by Yurik. The flames clinging to their shells put paid to another few of their number.

The Grox, scared shitless by the flames and explosions, press away from the now-electrified fence with a chorus of bellows. The manacled prisoner is less lucky; leaning against it as he is, he shudders and screams as the current courses through him. Smoke begins to rise from his clothing, causing more consternation among the nearby grox.

But if they think that's scary, the worst is yet to come. Descending and emerging out of the gloom, toting a huge weapons system that glows in an eerie greeny-yellow light, a hovering robot emerges - an oversized humanoid torso, planted on an anti-gravity platform the size of a dozen scrunts. The grox, previously unaware of this silently-hovering apparition, begin to lose their poo poo even more so; they can't press against the fence, so they come dangerously close to spilling out over the cattle grid. Two of them are unfortunate enough to be caught in Yurik's mantraps, adding to the general air of thrashing pandemonium - their honks and screeches of distress seem apt to provoke a stampede.

Then again, looking at the size of that cannon, perhaps a grox stampede's not the worst possibly outcome here.

drekk and grimply should have gunfire on this map but, well, autoguns are small, and weedy

----

scrunt!

groin ticks on the deathclock once more

mung flames, machines. the flayed ones get incredible rolls - interestingly, i think being prone has no impact on the Ag test to avoid the flames - but the most wounded one doesn't dodge in time and eats a righteous fury. he dead. i say he dead. the leftmost necron is within the bounds of the machinery that mung's just activated, and, having used up its dodge for the round, is swiftly snared and pulled apart with no opportunity for regeneration.

yurik haywires; the scarabs have their base move reduced by 3, cannot hover, and cannot regenerate.

drekk makes a curious tactical choice and misses

murdelia manages a fearsome 91 on the to-hit roll; not enough to jam, but not enough to hit

north necrons move; the one that's got a full action uses it to run into the centre, the prone one gets up and walks, the dead one does a Regen test and comes back to life; it takes a half-action to walk. the damage from flames then kicks in, meaning even the barest scrap of damage on Righty will knock him into insane critical levels.

grug can't attack twice in one turn; you only get one shot a round. second shot counts as an Aim for next round. you only barely killed it with some truly abysmal damage rolls.

chuggo FAILS

grumb murders - MURDERS!! - the necron that attacked chuggo. i didn't notice you had target selection so i was going to assume you went for the northern one instead, but eh.

south flayed ones gently caress up their regen tests badly; all of them expire.

grimply blasts scarabs. minimal damage.

scarab swarm creep forward

grox thrash about; prisoner suffers some mild electrocution

destroyer lord is here to say hello! his initiative gets rolled next round

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

grumb murders - MURDERS!! - the necron that attacked chuggo. i didn't notice you had target selection so i was going to assume you went for the northern one instead, but eh.

My bad, I put target selection under XP but forgot to add it to my Talents section. Thanks for noticing!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Mungly Mung - Fire Fighting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0sAnloI_es

Mung gets his heckles up at the notion that one of the robot beasts could survive long enough to run screaming away from the continued pyroblasts that the techscrunt was sending downrange. Mung's scrunty mental calculus told him that he needed to change up his strategy for this critter that could escape the killzone. He voxes out an unintelligable battlecry, "PPBBBRRRRRR GONE FUCKIT SHITLORD" as he turns and charges the robot that escaped his original assault.

-----
Going to turn on and charge the guy from the north group that ran past us last turn. Attacking with the servo arm attached to me. 91 vs gently caress is almost certainly a miss.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Grug METAL SKELLIES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAjQOr2cxz0

...the plasma gun appears to malfunction and lets out the high energy physics equivalent of a wet fart, bathing the necron in soff blue light and pretty sparkles. Its eyes go dead and it crumples just as Twonk screeches again, ' to the leeeeffffeeeeeecckkkKKK', and he scutters into cover. By now Grug's idiot enthusiasm is kicking in, 'GIT SUM, SUCKA', he mashes the trigger hard into the grip.

The Aim (+10) from last turn and another ranged Volley from Twonk (+5BS), blasting at the big necron thing with the plasma gun on Max, semiauto (Maximal adds 10 metres Range, adds 1d10 to Damage, and +2 to Penetration.), getting a staggering http://orokos.com/roll/513362: 1d100 1, so I guess I'm getting 2 hits, right in the bonce.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Groin Sklunger
Scrunt

Frenzy

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Grumb Slanger, heap-adjacent

Grumb's jaw goes slack as the destroyer hovers menacingly into view.
poo poo, he thinks, eying the alien propulsors that guide its skeletal frame over the grungy terrain. Groin is gonna be so embarrassed when he sees this guy's hoverboard.
He points the nozzle of his multimelta at the destroyer, and nods his head toward Guy. "Dangol, -" he begins.

"Got it, Grumb!" Guy calls back, dropping to a defensive position among the mycoprotein as he readies his scrunt-rifle. Grumb smiles, draws a bead on the largest necron, and fires.

------------------------------------------

Bernie (Multimelta - Heavy / 60m / s/-/- / 2d10+16E / pen12 / clip12 / rld Full / Melta, Blast1) @ 42m

TN = BS 50 + aim 10 + comrade volley 5 + 0 (range modifier) = 65
shoot destroyer: 1d100 79

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Murdelia

Arnika yanks hard on Murdelia's power armoured arm, and the scrunt pivots to notice the giant floating robot thing, which she promptly hoses down with scrunt bullets (scrullets)

full action shooting, arnika provides ranged volley, shoot the destroyer lord

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sundered Records
Orbit
Heavenly Fist
And beyond...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2CKmpO5jTs

Archivist posted:

It is at this point that records of the scrunts' sweep through the Heavenly Fist become fragmentary. It is certain that they wiped out the ambushing Necrons - an artefact of Inquisitor Velothenes' meddling with arcane xeno planeshifting technology - and certain that Velothenes himself was not heard of again in the Calixis sector thereafter. Whether the scrunts fully grasped the nature of their status as pseudo-psychic abominations, or whether they simply accepted this as an aspect of the scrunt condition, remains unknown. The fact remains that these curious creatures effected their escape from the Heavenly Fist by triggering a colossal stampede from within the bowels of the abandoned grox-breeding facility. Already on edge from the crude mating display of the one referred to in the text as "Drekk", and alarmed by the swift and brutal despatch of the steel demons that had previously preyed on them, the grox panic levels reached crisis point once one of the hanger-on creatures attempted to mate with a pack alpha.

The surging of thousands upon thousands of grox into the active plasma core engines of the Heavenly Fist crippled the starship, leaving it foundering in orbit around Malbrathia-3 and breaching the deck housing Velothenes' experiments. Swift and horrible death was unleashed on the vast majority of the ship's crew, either through biological horror or through the vacuum of space. By this point the scrunts had commandeered an escape capsule, inadvertently launching the entire starboard bank at the same time.

On making planetfall and joining up with other scrunt elements on the planet surface, records retrieved from the northern VIP bunker commandeered by the scrunts - corroborated by testimony from High Magos Surbarethiel, who successfully exfiltrated and rejoined his cell - indicate the group fell to bickering as to their next move. Some were in favour of assembling their SLAM low altitude missile and immediately irradiating the planet; others felt an assault on Aurelia in an attempt to take the throne was the way forward. Still others, possibly influenced by residual Orkoid behaviours from their inherited genome, were thrilled by the idea of making the loudest chant of "SLAM SECTOR" in recorded scrunt history, and wished to follow the ferrous tunnels to the southern acousto-resonator complex.

Naturally, the group chose to attempt all three plans.

What followed next is well known across the sector. The Aurelian assault was a startling, devastating success - the scrunts' sudden discovery that the "Throne of Aurelia" was a heavily modified Warhound Titan only seemed to add fuel to their fervour. Through deviousness and treachery, and through a lot of dead scrunts, the group brought down the governor, tore him from the cockpit and installed one of their own into the ruling interface.

Once news of this spread, Imperial forces took this as their cue to get offplanet with as much speed as possible, turning their fighting retreat into a full-blown rout. The pursuing Severan forces turned around and headed back for Aurelia, but by this point the scrunt forces, swollen by recent consolidation and heartily engaged in turning the once-great capital into as big a garbage pile as possible, had dug in. Most of the initial attacking armour was removed by bombardment from the Throne, and any infantry forces that reached the city were scrunted in short order. After the initial bloodied nose, Severan commanders instead besieged the city from afar, but the sighting of the SLAM missile roaring overhead, circumnavigating the globe and scattering irradiated material and apparently towing a gondola full of terrified scrunts, put paid to any further attempts to re-take the city.

Meanwhile, the pilgrimage to the southern complex attracted scattered scrunts from far and wide. Reports from mining colonies seem to indicate that a vast convoy of looted, repurposed mining equipment swept across the sparsely-populated badlands, eventually converging on the hidden resonator complex and purging the Cogitator-daemon that had taken up residence in the terraforming devices' central core. Consolidating themselves in their new home, the scrunts presumably begun experimenting with the mile-wide chamber at the heart of the complex, culminating in the Great Slam of anno 39.8722.

Long-range surveillence of the Tyranid hive-fleet Kraken splinter indicates that an enormous quantity of viscous fluid was vented from each ship at the moment of the Slam, when psycho-acoustic waves will have rippled out through the Warp; an analysis of the resultant fluidic planetoid indicates a similarity to human effluvial fluids. This behaviour has not yet been observed in any other Tyranid subfleets, but it coincided with the almost immediate redirection of the fleet, on a bearing towards the hive world of Caracatus Prime.

Any strategic value to the world of Malbrathia was, by this point, void. Both sides in the Severan rebellion had retreated from the planet; it no longer provided a lure for the oncoming Hive Fleet; it was an irradiated hellhole. Exterminatus being deemed too expensive in terms of battleship availability, the planet has been given over to its new masters, and scrubbed from official Imperial records.

Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in this grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods. It is now the forty-first millenium...

...and there are still, somehow, Scrunts.

- Extract from the library of Inquisitor Alcabaides

----

scrunt...!

i'm calling it, guys; campaign is fin.

it's been phenomenal. thank you for playing to all players, juggalo baby coffin (née FirstPersonShitter), Who What Now, ThNextGreenLantern, Moola, Tin Tim, Ignite Memories, Phoon, Waroduce, Skellybones, Kai Tave, Beer4TheBeerGod briefly, DeathSandwich, Kaiju Cage Match, gender illusionist, Leperflesh, Viva Miriya, Liquid Dinosaur, and to anyone else who i've inadvertently missed out from this list and who i will add once i notice.

extra special thanks to the OG scrunts who stuck with this bizarre hellthread ever since its inception, two and a half years ago

i am leaving the thread open if you want to do scrunt epilogues - choose your ending! - but if you ain't a current player, then unless you're posting in-character as a scrunt, please keep it to the recruitment thread

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Mungly Mung ?????

The Throne of Aurelia

Cogitators whirred and buzzed unendingly around the creature, as they had for months on end by this point. The creature that dethroned the planetary governor remained ever still on his glorious prize. He made sure that he prize was truly and thoroughly licked before "that fakkin thief" Groin could lay claim to it. It was his and his alone and he worked tirelessly to ensure that nobody else could claim it, not even the Severans when they started the counteroffensive.

The modifications that the slovenly techmonster made to himself before the skirmish with the necrons in the Grox pens were but a prelude for his ultimate transformation. Mung strove to integrate his scrunty form with all manner of scrap and trash, and even in their decent back to planetside almost failed miserably due to his scavenging of several emergency retro jets and "unnecessary" flak plating into his form.

When it became clear what the Throne actually was, it was Mung who chose to lead the assault on it. By this point his scrunty frame had accumulated enough detritus and assorted gizmos that survivors of the Battle for the Throne described it as though it resembled one of the Sisters of Battle's Penitent Engines if it were designed by a child and made from scrapyard castoffs. Despite it's ramshackle appearance, it proved phenomenally hardy, both in part to it's absurd engineering allowing it to shrug off blows that would drop a sentinel, and also due to the absolutely massive swarms of cybernetically enhanced servitor rats that would swarm and strip to the bone any attempt to bring melta weaponry upon it.

When it finally dethroned the planetary governor, it's ascension was complete. The foul beast hard wired himself into the titan and used a logic virus to hijack the machine spirits and integrate them directly into his brain. There would be no way to reclaim the titan for the Imperium anymore, and the only way to stop it would be to demolish it completely.

On this day, the creature known as Mungly Mung ceased to be.

There is only Mecha Scruntzilla

Long may he reign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Chuggo looks out at the hellish wasteland, this vast desolation he played a small part in bringing about. He holds his head in his hands, struggling to find the words.

He finally manages to eke out, in a small and impossibly articulate voice,

"God bless us, everyone."

• Locked thread