Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Router: Asus n66u on Merlin firmware

Issue: When any phone connects to the wireless network, ping on PC/laptop wifi devices in games shoots up to 170+ with extremely bad rubber banding and browsing becomes very slow. It seems to happen when phones transfer any data over the network (syncing, updating apps, sending pictures over iMessage, etc.)

I'm at a loss. I've spent weeks trying to figure this out and I have no idea what's causing such a bizarre program.

Any ideas? :(

Read the FAQ etc. I'll take a screenshot of my settings later.

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Are you using the latest version of the firmware?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Zogo posted:

Are you using the latest version of the firmware?

Yep, now trying the most recent beta release and still having the same issues.

Time Warner's level 3 tech center confirmed it is not on their end when we recreated the issue for them, both over the phone when we connected our phones and experienced the lag spikes and when they sent a tech out to further investigate.

At a total loss here. I see no reason why having our phones connected to the wireless network should cause game ping to shoot to 200+ and create rubberbanding, have webpages hang, low download speeds for wireless users, etc. :(

grymwulf
Nov 29, 2013

What? Was it something I said?
The N66U is a dual band router - how about setting up your phones to use (if possible) the 5Ghz band - it may be improper network collision coding with the wireless phones, or a settings mismatch between the clients.

Check out: http://www.networkcomputing.com/wireless-for-beginners-part-2-avoiding-collisions/d/d-id/1233955

* I would also check out the stock firmware, see if that shows any difference

* Do you have multiple switches/bridges/VLANs on your LAN? It's weird for STP to be a concern on consumer-level setups.

grymwulf fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 13, 2014

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It persists through all firmware types and revisions.

How do I check for switches/bridges/vlan? I haven't messed with these settings so I'd assume they're default at the moment.

I'll try moving some devices to 5ghz and report back.

grymwulf
Nov 29, 2013

What? Was it something I said?

Armchair Calvinist posted:

It persists through all firmware types and revisions.

How do I check for switches/bridges/vlan? I haven't messed with these settings so I'd assume they're default at the moment.

I'll try moving some devices to 5ghz and report back.

Don't worry about switches/bridges/vlan - just a comment on the firmware. (IE if you don't know about it, don't worry about it...)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I second the suggestion to try moving some devices to 5ghz and see if that helps - did that on my router and it seems to have helped some.

Also, have you checked the DHCP log to see what the requests look like? My girlfriend had a phone that would just continuously vomit DHCP req/ack cycles at the router, and it seemed to make overall performance worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I moved my phone to the 5ghz network but it didn't help the issue. I just enabled ipv6 on the router with the "native" setting since I read that newer phones also utilize this and it can help the issue.

Here's a pastebin of my DHCP log, but I'm unsure of what I'm looking at:

http://pastebin.com/VnxeM5kP

• Locked thread