Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Problem description: I was playing some games and alt-tabbed to get to mumble and my computer hard locks and I notice some pixelization artifacts on the screen. I decide to hard reset. I notice in the booting process with the BIOS commands that there is now a green pixelization artifact which continues into the windows splash screen:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jdw15r3ewaax0r1/2014-11-09%2001.11.25.jpg?dl=0.

This pattern continues into windows and applications and the pixels fluctuate in nature when things change on screen.

My computer now runs windows in a lower resolution and I am unable to do 1080p. Occasionally it will BSOD and not boot. Took out GPU and cannot notice any popped capacitor (huge heat sink in the way) or any foul burnt smells. Tell me if this is a GPU issue or a different hardware issue so I can decide if I need to buy a new GPU. Thanks for the help ahead of time!

Attempted fixes: Resetting a few times, installing newer drivers.

Recent changes: No.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit

System specs: a gigabyte motherboard with an i5-760 quad core. 4 gb ram. Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 460 1gb (was bought new in 2010). Crucial M4 SSD with 2 platter drives.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
It's probably the GPU. The only other thing it could be is the monitor itself. The way to tell the difference is to take a screenshot - if the artifacts show up in the screenshot, it's definitely a GPU problem. That said, 1) it's difficult to do this test when the GPU is falling back to ultra-safe mode as soon as Windows is started, and 2) if the GPU is falling back to ultra-safe mode, it's probably well and truly boned.

:ninja: You just posted in the system building thread, didn't you? Welp.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Well I did print screen and save the picture to my dropbox and checked on my laptop. There are no artifacts. What does this mean?

Also I can't start any game really because it says my drivers are no installed... I ran a game without 3d accelleration and it ran like crap, still had artifacts, and the screenshot I took in steam in just black.

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 9, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Did the artifacts show up on the whole screen or just in the game window? If just in the game window, the GPU is dead, full stop. A broken monitor couldn't discriminate on content like that.

If the artifacting shows up all the time, this is still largely an academic question now because the GPU clearly isn't working properly if it falls back to "drivers don't work" mode. We're dicking around the field of "The GPU is very probably broken but there's a small chance it isn't." Next thing to do would be to try a different screen and cable to see if the computer starts working correctly again (or at least stops artifacting).

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Did the artifacts show up on the whole screen or just in the game window? If just in the game window, the GPU is dead, full stop. A broken monitor couldn't discriminate on content like that.

If the artifacting shows up all the time, this is still largely an academic question now because the GPU clearly isn't working properly if it falls back to "drivers don't work" mode. We're dicking around the field of "The GPU is very probably broken but there's a small chance it isn't." Next thing to do would be to try a different screen and cable to see if the computer starts working correctly again (or at least stops artifacting).

Artifacts showed up on the whole screen regardless of what program it was in. The game I ran has no 3d acceleration and it loaded and froze making me have to close it manually. Other games (and also movies too) have errors saying it cannot create a direct 3d device.

The monitor is working perfectly fine with my laptop with the same cable.

I can't get the affected computer to display any information about the videocard or drivers so it's likely dead.

Anyway, I bought a new card and hopefully that'll take care of problems. It'll become clear if my problems are far worse than a GPU issue. Thank you for your help! I appreciate it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Yep new card has resolved all the issues! Thanks again!

• Locked thread