Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Hey all. Looking for some advice re my failing ram (or motherboard)?

Problem description: had a couple of bluescreens/hardlocks all of a sudden on my ~2yr old PC and went straight into memtest86+ and it blows up with errors in the first test. I tried to diagnose it as below BUT I don't have any other means to test the ram in another PC or new RAM in mine.

Basically I'm wondering if it's likely to be the motherboard and if its worth paying a computer shop like $50 to test the memory for me or I should just assume its the memory and bite the bullet on new memory ($200AUD to replace my 16gb kit which I like for zbrush/c4d/video)

I've been lucky enough not to have to deal with faulty ram in the past so I don't know what I'm dealing with here. Either BOTH sticks failed violently at presumably the same time or the motherboard did. Looking for some gut reactions from you seasoned folk.

Despite memtest throwing 100+ errors in the very first 3 second test I haven't had any issues in normal use/browsing and it survived a 15 minute Furmark without loving up but trying to play a demanding game throws a 0xD1 BSOD or hard lock pretty quickly

Attempted fixes: It's dual channel (2x8gb) ram and I tested every major combination of sticks and slots and nothing improves it. I tried to clear the small amount of dust out as best I could but since its faulty in all 4 slots it doesnt feel like that. I have no other compatible memory or DDR3 compatible motherboards/systems to test this stuff out in. :(

Recent changes: None.

--

System specs: ASUS P8Z77-V LX & Gskill 2-channel 16gb kit (F3-1600C10D-16GAO)

Location: Australia - What the gently caress happened to the price of ram here??? I paid $82 for this in late 2012 and this and anything similar is now $200+

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Hashy fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
All I can say is that I've never had a motherboard fail but certainly had RAM fail. I don't think it's worth paying someone $50 to test RAM, but then I have ample spare gear at home and work to test stuff with. You don't know anyone at all with a PC that will take your memory sticks?
I'd gladly test your RAM for you but I'm in Brisbane and you'd have to trust me with it for a day or two.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks very much for the offer but it would be a bit prohibitive to get it to you and back from NSW. Sadly I don't know anyone that has a DDR3 compatible setup nearby or that would know how to test it for me. Everyone's into laptops/macbooks in my social bubble.

To add to my question is there anything in the way of advanced tests that might indicate one way or another whether its motherboard or memory? I've found some suggestions that you can look at the addresses of the errors while reconfiguring things and make an educated guess in my googling but no good leads. It's all a long shot because most anyone else would have access to something else to help rule it out.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Try testing a single stick at a time, or with their places swapped around. That should let you narrow it down to the faulty stick if it's the RAM.
If each stick tests fine on its own, you might be able to get it sorted out by bumping up the RAM voltage a tiny bit.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
I'll second the notion that it is extremely unlikely the motherboard is making the RAM look bad, but testing the sticks one at a time could help, and in different slots. It could also be either a socket failure (which is kind of the motherboard), or just an issue with the contacts. While you are in there, it's a good idea to clean up some dust with compressed air, it can build up over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks gang - I didn't express it well but I did mean I tried both sticks individually when I said I "tried every combination of sticks and slots"

I bought some cheapo ram to test it with and to have a backup rather than paying a computer shop for the same and it was doing the exact same thing so I thought "gently caress it, going to have to replace this motherboard anyway" and flashed the BIOS (which I wasnt game to do before on lovely RAM but I guess the bios updating would be self-contained anyway and not access the RAM) and now it's working. It was never the memory!

Hashy fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 13, 2014

• Locked thread