Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Internet Wizard posted:

You're making the classic military mistake of assuming that the manhours being used by lcpl retard are free. Every minute somebody spends doing ground guide, or barracks duty, or whatever, is a minute that they spend not doing something else to further mission.

This is also how leaders justify keeping people on standby so much, they treat labor as free. Imagine trying to justify people sitting around for an hour+ waiting for word that never comes just so they can leave work to a civilian accountant.

you're making the mistake of assuming that ground guides and a drivers have something better to be doing. they dont. they're lcpls. if they werent a drivers they'd be picking up cigarette butts or pmcsing something that doesnt need pmcs.

i understand the value of manhours in the civilian world. i have a real job managing a container terminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

you're making the mistake of assuming that ground guides and a drivers have something better to be doing. they dont. they're lcpls. if they werent a drivers they'd be picking up cigarette butts or pmcsing something that doesnt need pmcs.

i understand the value of manhours in the civilian world. i have a real job managing a container terminal.

If they don't have anything better to be doing then they shouldn't be assigned to that unit, and are taking away resources from something else that could use the money better.

vains
May 26, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

If they don't have anything better to be doing then they shouldn't be assigned to that unit, and are taking away resources from something else that could use the money better.

maybe you dont understand how the infantry works....

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

My ASVAB was over 50, so no, I don't

vains
May 26, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

My ASVAB was over 50, so no, I don't

so was mine but im not a bitch

now i have committed the regretful sin of discussing the bootest thing of all: asvab scores. i'll go kill myself.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
safety: definitely fraud waste and abuse

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

so was mine but im not a bitch

now i have committed the regretful sin of discussing the bootest thing of all: asvab scores. i'll go kill myself.

definitely bit hard on the bait that time

overdesigned posted:

safety: definitely fraud waste and abuse

We're in a drawdown, we should let the dumb kill themselves off

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

How do you like that line of work? I retire in a few years and I have been out here in Japan assigned to an Amphib. I load and unload all of the Marine equipment, serve as the Marine Corps advocate when no one from the green side is on the ship, and liaison with the landing force on behalf of the ship. Floating all over Asia I see lots of container terminals in ports we pull into and have considered trying to transition into something like that. I will have 20 years of experience in similar field so I feel pretty qualified to make the transition.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
UGh why am I WALKING in front of this highback when I could be INSIDE OF IT, honing the edge of my ONE MIND MANY WEAPON

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Victor Vermis posted:

honing the edge of my ONE MIND MANY WEAPON

This is now my go-to phrase for jerking off.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

How do you like that line of work? I retire in a few years and I have been out here in Japan assigned to an Amphib. I load and unload all of the Marine equipment, serve as the Marine Corps advocate when no one from the green side is on the ship, and liaison with the landing force on behalf of the ship. Floating all over Asia I see lots of container terminals in ports we pull into and have considered trying to transition into something like that. I will have 20 years of experience in similar field so I feel pretty qualified to make the transition.

You combat cargo chief??

Seriously, lcpl labor is free. I don't need a manhour justification. If the only other date he has is the smoke pit, I'm wasting no one's time.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Counterpoint: Once while ground guiding an uparmor I managed to roll my ankle, which cost the United States taxpayer tens of dollars in medical expenses.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Motrin, 400mg, 1ea: $5

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

overdesigned posted:

Motrin, 400mg, 1ea: $5

400mg? i didn't know corpsmen knew how to prescribe anything less than 800

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Mr. Nice! posted:

400mg? i didn't know corpsmen knew how to prescribe anything less than 800

prescribe? i had a gallon ziplock bag that i'd toss at everyone

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Meant to post this earlier but this is why I was asking about range shutdown due to California being on fire. The directory I pulled this from was dated November 2003 so it's sometime after July of 03 but before 2004.

It was not uncommon in the 2002 to 2004 time frame for poo poo like this to happen. Also you know it's a pre 2006 pic because lol M198.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I was in 29 Palms from 2000-2004. We did CAX back then but I didn't spend nearly as much time in the training area as I did as a Coyote. I don't remember the desert catching on fire but it's been a long time. :shrug:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

We started a brush fire in loving MCT just using blanks in the California hills in 2001. Everything not made of concrete in California should be labeled highly flammable.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Grem posted:

We started a brush fire in loving MCT just using blanks in the California hills in 2001. Everything not made of concrete in California should be labeled highly flammable.

Did something similar with excess powder incriments that year, I think in June, up at Pendleton. That was the last time while I was in that 3/11 went there to do a fireX. Some of our guys ran into a few helo guys complaining about firefighter duty at the credit union at 29 a few weeks later.

vains
May 26, 2004

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

really depends on where and who you work for. there are three broad options: port, railroad or lift contractors.

overall, the work is broadly the same. you have to be decent at forecasting and planning and effective at communicating and management/leadership. the majority of the job is making sure you have enough assets(people, equipment(railcars, chassis, containers) and machines(trucks, lift machines)) on site to get the work done efficiently and on time. the next biggest piece is developing a workable plan, communicating it to the workers and then supervising the workers. outside of the day to day, its identifying inefficiencies in your operation and working to correct them.

at a port, youre managing a bunch of entitled, overpaid and, generally, kind of lazy longshoreman. job protectionism/not crossing crafts is ingrained in their souls. any idea that you have that may reduce the amount of men working or the amount of hours worked is met with hostility. they're also generally hazardous to be around. there are two 'modes' to a port: gate/yard operations and vessel operations. gate/yard operations manage the flow of truck traffic picking up or dropping off containers at the port. vessel operations manage the load/unload of vessels at the port. gate/yard operations tend to be fixed hours type jobs and vessel operations occur whenever a vessel calls as limited by the ila/ilwu contract(specific 'valid' start times). pay really varies depending on the locality and the company.

at a railroad intermodal terminal, you're still dealing with the union aspect sometimes. railroads have a lot more control over their unions though. you also tend to have lift contractors working for you in some fashion. the hours are fairly regular and contingent upon the train schedule. the job also requires making a lot of networking because the work on the terminal is performed by various crafts. train crews report to a guy who doesnt report to you. this guy also has his own set of goals to achieve that may not align with yours at all. the pay is fairly standard across the big railroads. entry levels start at 60k with a 13% bonus and may get cola depending on location. they all pay into railroad retirement, get decent healthcare, 401k matching and a pension program.

lift contractors are found in the majority of railroad intermodal terminals. they run either the outside lift operation or both the outside lift and the indoor clerical piece(ingate/outgate, train planning, customer service). they tend not to employ unionized employees but there are locations that are unionized(generally teamsters). pay depends on location and i dont know about the benefits.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

really depends on where and who you work for. there are three broad options: port, railroad or lift contractors.

overall, the work is broadly the same. you have to be decent at forecasting and planning and effective at communicating and management/leadership. the majority of the job is making sure you have enough assets(people, equipment(railcars, chassis, containers) and machines(trucks, lift machines)) on site to get the work done efficiently and on time. the next biggest piece is developing a workable plan, communicating it to the workers and then supervising the workers. outside of the day to day, its identifying inefficiencies in your operation and working to correct them.

at a port, youre managing a bunch of entitled, overpaid and, generally, kind of lazy longshoreman. job protectionism/not crossing crafts is ingrained in their souls. any idea that you have that may reduce the amount of men working or the amount of hours worked is met with hostility. they're also generally hazardous to be around. there are two 'modes' to a port: gate/yard operations and vessel operations. gate/yard operations manage the flow of truck traffic picking up or dropping off containers at the port. vessel operations manage the load/unload of vessels at the port. gate/yard operations tend to be fixed hours type jobs and vessel operations occur whenever a vessel calls as limited by the ila/ilwu contract(specific 'valid' start times). pay really varies depending on the locality and the company.

at a railroad intermodal terminal, you're still dealing with the union aspect sometimes. railroads have a lot more control over their unions though. you also tend to have lift contractors working for you in some fashion. the hours are fairly regular and contingent upon the train schedule. the job also requires making a lot of networking because the work on the terminal is performed by various crafts. train crews report to a guy who doesnt report to you. this guy also has his own set of goals to achieve that may not align with yours at all. the pay is fairly standard across the big railroads. entry levels start at 60k with a 13% bonus and may get cola depending on location. they all pay into railroad retirement, get decent healthcare, 401k matching and a pension program.

lift contractors are found in the majority of railroad intermodal terminals. they run either the outside lift operation or both the outside lift and the indoor clerical piece(ingate/outgate, train planning, customer service). they tend not to employ unionized employees but there are locations that are unionized(generally teamsters). pay depends on location and i dont know about the benefits.

Yeah I got my brother on at the Railroad 10 years back or so and he makes like 20k a year more than I do now. I still have a little under 4 years before I retire but I am hoping to do a little networking before I get out. Ideally I'd step over into something making more than I make now so I can bank my retirement checks for when I REALLY retire. Most folks I've talked to have told me it's not unrealistic to anticipate 80k-90k or more with the experience I will have after 20 years of logistics work in the mil. I don't know how true that is but many of my friends have already retired and they seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.

vains
May 26, 2004

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yeah I got my brother on at the Railroad 10 years back or so and he makes like 20k a year more than I do now. I still have a little under 4 years before I retire but I am hoping to do a little networking before I get out. Ideally I'd step over into something making more than I make now so I can bank my retirement checks for when I REALLY retire. Most folks I've talked to have told me it's not unrealistic to anticipate 80k-90k or more with the experience I will have after 20 years of logistics work in the mil. I don't know how true that is but many of my friends have already retired and they seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.

getting in above entry level can be difficult.

for the railroads, not all of them even hire people specifically to run intermodal terminals. in some railroads, its a trainmaster(train crew manager). railroads like to bring in trainmasters either through management trainee programs or out of the crafts(engineers or conductors) and then progress guys through the ranks. part of it is a legal requirement: legally, only a certified conductor can give instruction to a conductor. part of it is indoctrinating people into the company's ethos/culture/etc. the last bit is just training. each step in your management trainee training and later career development is meant to develop 'well rounded' managers. so...the guys spend sometime at a small flat yard, a large flat yard, a hump yard, terminal trainmasters managing the local delivery of railcars, line of road trainmasters managing road crews, sometime at hq managing railcars or crews or locomotives....etc. as part of the 'development', there is constant assessment and guys that cant hack it are weeded out or their progression paused.

if a railroad specifically hires people to manage terminals, its a lot easier to get in above ground level. they all legitimately love hiring vets and there are no legal requirements or certifications necessary. my first boss came out of the sales/account management side of the company. my second boss came off the street into a terminal manager job but with a background managing delivery of coke to steel mills. my third boss off the street but with a background at ups and trucking.

lift contractors would be easier to get in above ground level but the pay isnt going to be as great. again, no legal requirements or certifications necessary.

ports, im not sure. depends on the company. most of them seem to be like franchises of a main corporate entity. apm terminals(maersk) is an exception to this. its really hard to make any sort of generalization about the companies because im the least familiar with them.

Alex433999
Aug 16, 2014
Who has been to cold weather moutain training? Is bridgeport as bad as people say? Are you out in the field most of the time?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Alex433999 posted:

Who has been to cold weather moutain training? Is bridgeport as bad as people say? Are you out in the field most of the time?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

gently caress the cold

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I've heard absolute horror stories. Like if they had to go back they'd go break a leg or something. From what I understand the first bit is classroom and then it's have fun being in the field forever doing patrol bases and poo poo

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I've heard absolute horror stories. Like if they had to go back they'd go break a leg or something. From what I understand the first bit is classroom and then it's have fun being in the field forever doing patrol bases and poo poo

I did the summer package and it was lovely. Good luck trying to catch rabbits in a snare while freezing your rear end off at like 10,000 ft above sea level.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Alex433999 posted:

You are so, so hosed.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Alex433999 posted:

I put my name in a hat for this, but who knows if I will get selected. Maj promotion board hits in a week and I figured this would be one of my last chances to do anything that still made me feel like a Marine without having to leave my nascent family for an extended period. I've been so disillusioned by encounters with field grades over the years that if becoming a Maj wasn't a requirement for retirement I would heavily consider staying an O-3 a little longer. Hell, this isn't even taking into account how unworthy being a Reservist makes me feel at times. I find the whole idea of promotions in the Reserves essentially occurring at the same speed as their Active Duty counterparts to be absurd given the experience gap.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Uroboros posted:

I put my name in a hat for this, but who knows if I will get selected. Maj promotion board hits in a week and I figured this would be one of my last chances to do anything that still made me feel like a Marine without having to leave my nascent family for an extended period. I've been so disillusioned by encounters with field grades over the years that if becoming a Maj wasn't a requirement for retirement I would heavily consider staying an O-3 a little longer. Hell, this isn't even taking into account how unworthy being a Reservist makes me feel at times. I find the whole idea of promotions in the Reserves essentially occurring at the same speed as their Active Duty counterparts to be absurd given the experience gap.

Even if you get selected it will still probably be a couple of years before you pin on if reserves promote anything like active duty 0-4 does. Plenty of time to put some Freemason stickers on your car and start bringing your wife to all your work functions.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Uroboros posted:

My captain at 2/7 refused a Major promotion and quit the marines at like 12-14 years, because the promotion required him to uproot his entire family and go to Maine for some reservist XO position. Even though there was a post for a Major XO that he was basically already qualified for opening up in like 6 months time, down the street at 1/7 or 3/7, so he wouldn't have to upset his family life nearly as much.

The brain drain is real.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 30, 2016

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Even if you get selected it will still probably be a couple of years before you pin on if reserves promote anything like active duty 0-4 does. Plenty of time to put some Freemason stickers on your car and start bringing your wife to all your work functions.

Yeah, a year wait, but that time flies by in the Reserves. I still find it hard to grasp that I have been a Captain for five, because you are out of uniform 99% of the time it doesn't feel like it. I actually had plans to become a mason back in the day, but rumor is they don't allow dirty atheists in.

red19fire posted:

My captain at 2/7 refused a Major promotion and quit the marines at like 12-14 years, because the promotion required him to uproot his entire family and go to Maine for some reservist XO position. Even though there was a post for a Major XO that he was basically already qualified for opening up in like 6 months time, down the street at 1/7 or 3/7, so he wouldn't have to upset his family life nearly as much.

The brain drain is real.

I assume he was getting sent to an I&I position. I'd say they have a reliable sucker in me at the moment. Best healthcare I can find, retirement, and I'd be lying if the initial awe of "woah this person is an officer in the Marines" still isn't useful. I work for the State of Illinois, so I need back-up money sources...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Semper Fi, devil dogs! See you next year! :patriot:

• Locked thread