Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
My friend that wanted to start a rockabilly band with me just threatened to buy a fretless guitar (not the bassist mind you), what do I tell him. oh, god....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Adrian Belew played/plays fretless guitar, John Frusciante did a few solos on Blood Sugar Sex Magik with a fretless guitar. Not totally impossible, but the dude will have his intonation practice worked out for him.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

Noise Machine posted:

Adrian Belew played/plays fretless guitar, John Frusciante did a few solos on Blood Sugar Sex Magik with a fretless guitar. Not totally impossible, but the dude will have his intonation practice worked out for him.

Apparently he doesn't want to use it to play rockabilly, just jazz. I'm still turned off by the notion but I've bought dumb guitars before.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tell him to get a pedal steel guitar instead. those are fretless and also could be good in rockabilly

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

Earwicker posted:

Tell him to get a pedal steel guitar instead. those are fretless and also could be good in rockabilly

I'll try to put that idea into his head since it's a superior instrument in every regard.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I think what this ultimately boils down to, OP, is whether the kind of person who asks the internet if fretless guitars belong in rock'n'roll bands, belongs in a rock 'n'roll band

Nimrod's Son
Aug 12, 2003
Wasted Warrior
Fretless electric guitar is more of a lead instrument (as is a pedal steel). They're super cool though. I always wanted to try one after hearing Tim Donahue for the first time. Ron Thal also uses a fretless on occasion, but I preferred his playing before he started adding in all the fretless solos. Rondo sells a super cheap one that I considered buying. It's not like you have to worry about a shoddy fret job or anything.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Noise Machine posted:

Adrian Belew played/plays fretless guitar

Adrian Belew has done a lot of things that nobody else could get away with

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

some of them even he can't get away with

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
It seems that any fretless guitar would sound heavily muted. Makes sense that it would be more of a lead instrument since I can't imagine a lot of chords sounding right on one. Does Adrien Belew play fretless on the Zappa records he played on?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

forever whatever posted:

It seems that any fretless guitar would sound heavily muted. Makes sense that it would be more of a lead instrument since I can't imagine a lot of chords sounding right on one. Does Adrien Belew play fretless on the Zappa records he played on?

No, Frank Zappa played all of his own fretless guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqoq2neEq0Y (skip to 2:20 if you are triggered by Frank Zappa)

It's pretty muted but it lacks a lot of the volume/resonance slide guitar has. Also here's Andy Summers using one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuoOSGkX7no (skip to 1:40 if you are triggered by tasteful yet complex drumming or chorused guitar)

basically nothing that should be near a traditional rockabilly band

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

The question is: is your friend a great guitar player? If not, it's a gimmick.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
He's technically better than I am. I am pretty much a rockist. After hearing those examples though it sort of makes sense why he wants one: although he likes a huge variety of music, he's a major league prog and jazz nerd.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Does x belong in rock and roll is the least rock and roll thing I've ever read

Don't be a bummer, support your dude and be a rocking rear end rock and roll band with a fret less guitar

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
How has no one brought up the Screaming Headless Torsos? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFLEPZ6z6z0 ~3:20 for some sweet fretless action.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
Probably fine just as long as you don't mind waiting two years for him to figure out how to get the intonation right.

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
No, it belongs on Bob's Burgers.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Hey mike does he know how to play a fretless guitar or were you guys just liked stoned and stuff

hey let me get another bong rip dude

yeah its also super rockabilly especially if he doesn't knwo what he doing

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I hope he plays it like an upright bass.

e:Just imagining it is killing me.

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What does it sound like if you play one with a slide? All sandwiching the string in there

You could get the best of a bottle slide and a metal slide all in one! (Assuming he's looking at one of those Surfretter types with the metal fretboard)

• Locked thread