Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

DARPA Dad posted:

a good example of a mechanic is when bowser says the friend of the family word

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Endorph posted:

if youre so good at making videos then where are yours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDb9R4yjTf4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLHT5nJ-4lE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR_xDhkrHFI

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

drat those actually are good videos

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I agree.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
machinist

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

this is the best one, it has mario, guns, and funyn memes

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
thanks!

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

DARPA Dad posted:

mechanics are player initiated actions that change the gamestate in terms of the variables or dynamics of the game system while something like the perma-death in fire emblem is a "system" or an "element" or a "feature" or "i am incredibly fuckign gay"

We found him

The successor to the Yoda loving Luke avatar. He is the chosen one.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Op is a human being, IMHO.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Gimbal lock posted:

I really loathe Extra Credits and I don't know why. I don't like the ugly art, the squeaky voice and the condescending tone, but not liking stuff isn't the same as loathing it. I can't put my finger on what makes them so lovely.

I think a big part of it is how much of their schtick is centered around "hey, i'm a gamer too!", what with the absolutely epic video game theme song and all that.

not to mention how the narrator also did that incredibly spergy New Age history of the world thing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite extra credits thing is how during his history lesson thing he went on about how 'now im not here to glorify murder, war is terrible and most of the people involved in this history were terrible people even outside the scope of war, almost all of them guilty of murder and deception'

and then two minutes later he fanboys over how AWESOME A STRATEGIST this one dude was and how he TOTALLY OWNED THOSE OTHER DUDES

it was v. cool

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Endorph posted:

my favorite extra credits thing is how during his history lesson thing he went on about how 'now im not here to glorify murder, war is terrible and most of the people involved in this history were terrible people even outside the scope of war, almost all of them guilty of murder and deception'

and then two minutes later he fanboys over how AWESOME A STRATEGIST this one dude was and how he TOTALLY OWNED THOSE OTHER DUDES

it was v. cool

wargamers.txt

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

DARPA Dad posted:

mechanics are player initiated actions that change the gamestate in terms of the variables or dynamics of the game system while something like the perma-death in fire emblem is a "system" or an "element" or a "feature" or "i am incredibly fuckign gay"

hahahhaah kill yourself

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

no they aren't, read what you wrote:

[game] mechanics are actions

that doesn't make sense at all, think about english for a second bro. a mechanic is a noun. it's a thing. an action is a verb. this is kindergarten stuff

what if someone said 'quantum mechanics are actions'. it would be wrong and not even parse. particles don't perform 'a quantum mechanic'. if you're going to be awful enough to argue semantics, compounded with the awfulness of arguing about video game design semantics at least get the basic semantics of the language you're using right first you complete titcunt

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

i'm a big fan of the :gas: mechanic

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

chaosbreather posted:

that doesn't make sense at all, think about english for a second bro. a mechanic is a noun. it's a thing. an action is a verb. this is kindergarten stuff

what if someone said 'quantum mechanics are actions'. it would be wrong and not even parse. particles don't perform 'a quantum mechanic'. if you're going to be awful enough to argue semantics, compounded with the awfulness of arguing about video game design semantics at least get the basic semantics of the language you're using right first you complete titcunt

This is a really nerdy own, but an own it is.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

chaosbreather posted:

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

chaosbreather posted:

im sorry, shut-in nerd congress has already reached its decision, there can be no going back

• Locked thread