Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jaguar F-type is a no-go. They put a pad on the side of the console which prevented me from getting my leg in under the dash.

C7 corvette is good. knees and head were touching, but could reach the clutch and brake no problem

Merc GLA/CLA is pretty comfy.

Mustang is good now. seems like they moved the handbrake back which was really the only problem before. seating position is still too high.

most cars have janky seating positions now. high belt lines and high seats. not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
6'3" here the cars I have tried:
Honda Element, Pretty much all Honda Accords, coupes and sedans, VW Golf/GTI, Crown Vic, F series BMW M3/M4, Ford F150/Raptor, e46 BMW's

Honda Civic sedan? Maybe. Someone is giving me an 01 Civic sedan I don't fit too comfortably but as a commuter car it's fine. Saving up so I can trade it for an Element.

Nope Jaguar F-Type Coupe, Chevy Camaro, Dodge Challenger, Civic coupe, Miata

b0nes fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 14, 2015

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Random thoughts and observations at 6'7":

Trucks and SUV's tend to be worse, it's like sitting at the dining room table with the pedals directly underfoot. Trying to keep my ankle bent that much is a killer on long trips vs. sports cars where your legs stretch out the the pedals.

Anything with paddle shifters is so much better if they are column mounted. In the current Cayman and Boxster there is just enough room for my leg between the wheel and the center console, but I have to shuffle the steering wheel since I don't have the clearance for my hand to travel with the wheel.

Ditch the sunroof! The exterior dimensions of the car don't change, so the sunroof mechanism then has to take up space in the cabin you wish you had for your head.

Comfortable: Current Mustang, WRX, GLA45, MINI Cooper, FoST, 996/997/991 911's, BMW non-Z cars, and with the M235i if I put the seat all the way back it's actually too far

Borderline but doable as long as I don't need a helmet: BRZ/FRS, GT-R, Evo X, FiST, 981 Cayman/Boxster, GT-R, McLaren 12C*

Nope: Camaro, C7 Corvette, Jag F-Type, 370Z, Ferrari 458, 987 Cayman/Boxster

Special shout out to the Alfa 4C for being so drat small I can't even get in. There was no physical way to get my right leg past the steering wheel.

*Ok, so the 12C was a questionable definition of fit. But I had a chance to drive one and wasn't going to say no.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rakekniven posted:

Random thoughts and observations at 6'7":

Trucks and SUV's tend to be worse, it's like sitting at the dining room table with the pedals directly underfoot. Trying to keep my ankle bent that much is a killer on long trips vs. sports cars where your legs stretch out the the pedals.

Ditch the sunroof! The exterior dimensions of the car don't change, so the sunroof mechanism then has to take up space in the cabin you wish you had for your head.
Hey fellow 6'7"er :):hf::)

The observation about SUVs/trucks is right on. People always seem to equate giant vehicles with interior space for some reason. "You drive a VW GTI?! But those are tiny!"

The sunroof thing depends on the model. The Golf is so high that I don't have a problem with my sunroof.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

West SAAB Story posted:

The original "Element" target was for a "Surfer Dude" who didn't manage to stay employed long enough to put it in a resume (there may be slight hyperbole here, but it is unintentional). All I can see is Keanu Reeves.. lite.

It was more aimed at the type of person who is young and enjoys stuff like camping and hiking. I'll admit though, I really, really like the element and think the rubberized floor would be awesome to have, because cleaning the fine sand out of your car once it gets in is damned near impossible with carpets.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

kastein posted:

You know what really amuses me? My Forester has way more headroom than my late model XJ, it's just strange. Early model XJs have more room than the late models (due to seat changes over the years) and MJs have even more than either, but the forester has a good 4 inches of space over my head, something that I've never experienced except in large trucks.

Of course, it has absolutely no foot room, and I have size 14 feet, so things were a bit sketchy when clutching in the first few days I drove it with steeltoes on, but everything's fine now that I'm used to it.

I've kinda wondered about that. My XJ has a sunroof so I have more room, but was wondering about a Subaru to kill two birds with one stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004
6'4" here. 5 years ago I blew up the engine of my 1984 Mustang 5.0 so I needed to find a car quickly. I thought I'd be able to hop down to the Hyundai dealership and buy a new Accent real quick for 10k as a commuter car. But, after trying to sit in any of their sedans other than the Sonata, I learned that I'm not built for normal cars. I then, knowing I'd need to spend more than 10k on a new car if I were to fit into it, looked at a 2010 Mustang (V6 because I had no money and for some reason had an irrational desire for a new car) and lo and behold, I fit behind the steering wheel perfectly! (With the seat all the way back, of course, as in there's another half-click behind the last locked-in-position that I have the seat in).

Owning that car actually got me caring about cars (fatal mistake) so this last December I bought a BMW M4 without test driving anything (I did sit in the M4 to make sure I fit before I wrote the check). I have the seat all of the way back and down, but it's far more comfortable than my Mustang was even though I'm maxing things out dimensionally. I haven't taken it to the track yet, and because I wanted the moonroof (so I don't feel claustrophobic with my head jammed against the roof of a car) I lost an inch or two so driving it with a helmet on might be a bit uncomfortable, but I should be able to lean the seat back a tiny bit and pull it forward to compensate.

My wife drives a 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T, and there's certainly enough room for me, but I have to lower the seat all of the way and pull it all of the way back again. We'll need another car if we end up with two car seats, since there's not really enough room behind me driving for a car seat without it being jammed into the seatback.

Edit: Finding a car that doesn't suck to drive and can fit me and a couple of kids/people in the back will probably not be fun.

Edit 2: My M4 is DCT so I'm not sure how a clutch would've been, but I do know that my knees don't hit the steering wheel at all during driving.

POKEMAN SAM fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 15, 2015

• Locked thread