Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

with absolutely crazy eyes

His name is Zeus and omg :kimchi:

http://www.boredpanda.com/blind-owl-starry-eyes-zeus-wildlife-learning-center/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Gentle Rosenburg is desperately looking for his "parrot".

http://meninblack.wikia.com/wiki/Gentle_Rosenburg

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
Woah, it's eyes look like star fields!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My life was made noticeably worse when I found out owls are actually one of the dumbest birds.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Lol they really are stupid :3:

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

It wouldn't be the Enterprise without a Sulu at the helm

Holy poo poo, it's the Kwisatz Haderach of birds.

Nerwign
Dec 7, 2012

I'm not sure they're *that* dumb. I mean, I think we put them up on a pedestal as being really wise and stuff, and they're not super smart, so that makes them seem really low in comparison to our initial high expectations, but I've definitely met dumber birds. For example, my hawk is probably my dumbest big raptor. My estimation is based on the fact that he rarely seems to get bored. Given food, shelter and space, he's content. If he's tied to a perch he mostly just chills. My owl, on the other hand, gets bored when confined to a perch and becomes destructive, tearing things apart and such. I'd argue you have to have some intelligence to get bored.

Just my thoughts from working with numerous raptors directly.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I'll buy that. Boredom is just frustration at unused energy, I guess.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
owls more like lowls

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Nerwign posted:

I'd argue you have to have some intelligence to get bored.

Counterpoint: I get bored all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

You have had the exact opposite experience as me, Nergwin. The place I volunteered was pretty weird so maybe it was opposite times there.

We had a barn owl who was treated like a parrot by her previous owner to the point we had to retrain her to fly to the glove instead of to your shoulder. When we gave her her mice if she finished it and was still hungry she'd scream at her foot because WHERE IS THE REST WHAT DID YOU DO WITH IT? If she had some left over she would tuck it up into her chest feathers and go to sleep like it was some kind of gory pacifier :3:

We trained her to fly to the hidden sound of a cricket chirping so she wasn't stupid. She was just the only owl there that showed any kind of personality. Granted she was the only one we trained to do poo poo and also the only one that got regular human interaction.

• Locked thread