Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
I have
2 XT computers, one with a 256k RAM board as big as my arm in it.
original IBM PS/2 before Sony infringed on the trademark, although the faceplate has fallen off.
5 386 motherboards (*how do I get the blue fuzz off the battery near the back?)
a working 486 except for the controller card.
a broken PS3 (fat body) with a Blockbuster game still stuck in the drive.
a box of solar calculators (most work in direct light - sun not necessarily required)
50+ Macintosh peripheral cables that have plug ends I have never seen before and cannot imagine what they go to.
2.4 GHz dual-processor laptop, but it crashes during boot (re-boot looping).
2 working NESes.

And I have enough keyboards, power cables (standard), and enough outdated RAM SIMs and SIPs to fill a 5-gal bucket.

I also have an original IBM XT monitor if this helps.

Though I no longer remember, I either read in "Snowcrash", or maybe it was on Slashdot, or I vaguely remember a BBS post about how to network old computers to make them as powerful (or more!) than modern computers. The catch is that sometimes they are slightly slower, but you could still use them for their original processing purpose.

Has anyone done this successfully? I need advice ASAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
http://www.geek.com/games/researchers-create-a-playstation-2-based-supercomputer-553365/

just replace PS2 with PS4 and you good to go

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
I should stress that I do not have more than $50 for budgeting this and I assumed most of that would go towards solder, duct tape, and some sort of rack?

poo poo, and power strips. I'll need some power strips.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
throw all that poo poo into a dumpster

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

pram posted:

pram that's not environmentally friendly !!!!!!

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

pram posted:

I found most of it in a dumpster and it wasn't working as a cluster then. Please refrain from commenting unless you have actual computer networking experience, thanks. I DON'T NEED ADVICE FROM TRASHMEN I am not Dilbert over here.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Can't do it.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I found most of it in a dumpster and it wasn't working as a cluster then. Please refrain from commenting unless you have actual computer networking experience, thanks. I DON'T NEED ADVICE FROM TRASHMEN I am not Dilbert over here.

as a certified CCNA (expired 2008) my professional advice is to throw your cluster into the dumpster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

plug things into each other, doesn't matter how just get htem all hooked up

then flip the switch and stand back

• Locked thread