Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Okay, I've made this recipe 3 times now, but then somehow the original pictures I took from the first time somehow appeared on my camera when I plugged it back in. Cheap cameras suck. I made this at night, so most of the pictures are dark and blurry.

Burma's Spaghetti

2-3 lb Ground Chuck (If you can find 80-20 chuck, that's what I use.)
2 t. Sugar
1/4 - 1/2 t. Black Pepper
1 t. Basil
2-3 Bay Leaves
4 T. Worcestershire
1/2 t. Garlic (I just use the jars of pre-minced stuff)
2 t. Oregano
46~ oz Tomato Juice
12~ oz Tomato Paste (Use more if you want a thicker sauce, also simmer it longer)
16~ oz Tomato Sauce
1 medium green Bell Pepper
1 large onion
0-10 oz Water (Depending on how thick you want the sauce)
1 T. Chili Powder
1 1/4 t. Salt
Hot Sauce to taste

All of the ingredients, laid out.

Wait a minute, we're not using crushed tomatoes? No, we're not, and I can tell you why. I'm sure I could make a similar or better sauce with them, but it never tastes as good to me, and this recipe is a family legacy at this point.
Now, for the ingredients, I've tried getting cheaper brands of all kinds and the only things that I noticed that you need at least a decent quality store brand for is the Tomato and Worcestershire. I couldn't find any Tomato Juice/Worcestershire that wasn't the IGA brand, and I could definitely taste it in the final product. Get better stuff.

Here's some back story before we start the recipe. My grandmother and her sister owned a locally famous bakeshop in my hometown for years, they had to turn away work constantly because EVERYONE wanted their wedding cakes done there. I don't think I ever ate anything she made that I didn't like. She also participated in baking The World's Largest cake in 1989. I'm sure someone else has beaten us by now, but it was a claim to fame for a while.

I may post other recipes from my family later, especially our Red Velvet cake and Baked Macaroni. Virtually every recipe in our family was created by my grandmother, who is now 90 and sadly unable to cook. I took some of the spaghetti to her though, and it made her happy. Go spend some time with your family and stop reading this post, you glutton.

Take your meat, throw it into a pan and brown it. Afterwards, drain it out and take some paper towels to try to remove most of the grease, then set it aside.

Put a small amount of oil into a pot, I just used the one I'm cooking the finished sauce in, and heat it up to medium heat. Chop up the onion(It's okay if you cry, I'll assume the tears are from how beautiful the recipe is) and bell pepper, and remove the seeds if you prefer. Then throw them into the pot to saute.

Stir it around occasionally, when the onions start getting translucent and it smells great, turn it down on low and toss the meat in there with it. Now add the rest of the ingredients, I usually add them in order of Tomato products -> Dry products -> Worcestershire and hot sauce.

Turn it up until it starts bubbling, then turn it down to low heat and cover it. Set a timer for 2 hours, and come back and stir it every 15-30 minutes.

If you want garlic bread, and you better, I usually buy a loaf of french bread. Melt some butter in a pot and put garlic powder in it, pour it onto the bread halves, and put it in the oven on 350 until it seems decently crisp, then turn the broiler on high for a minute to get a nice crisp crust on top.

When the spaghetti is done, put some Parmesan cheese on it if that's your thing. This plate had way too much cheese on it, since the lid fell off.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Would eat. My mom used to put green pepper in her tomato sauce too. I kind of rebelled against it when I started making my own, but I secretly like it when she makes her lasagne with green pepper in the sauce now.

Have you tried Sacramento tomato juice? Best I've found for bloody marys, I assume it'd work well in sauce too.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
That looks loving amazing. I had some restaurant spaghetti for dinner yesterday and I bet yours didn't taste like overcooked worms and undersalted sadness. Good job on making it in, looking forward to maybe seeing your Red Velvet cake and macaroni.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

kinmik posted:

That looks loving amazing. I had some restaurant spaghetti for dinner yesterday and I bet yours didn't taste like overcooked worms and undersalted sadness. Good job on making it in, looking forward to maybe seeing your Red Velvet cake and macaroni.

I ordered spaghetti at a Shoneys once when I was like 6 and could barely eat it because I was expecting something as good as my grandmother's. Since then I've never ordered spaghetti at a restaurant. And yeah, I'll do the other recipes and maybe just post them in this thread since I don't know where else to put them. It'll be a while though, don't know about the cake until Christmas.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Would eat. My mom used to put green pepper in her tomato sauce too. I kind of rebelled against it when I started making my own, but I secretly like it when she makes her lasagne with green pepper in the sauce now.

Have you tried Sacramento tomato juice? Best I've found for bloody marys, I assume it'd work well in sauce too.
I've not tried using green peppers in lasagna, but not a bad idea. Oh, and unless Sacramento tomato juice is dirt cheap, I can't. Broke college student.

Humorous story on lasagna... My dad and I made a really nice and kind of expensive recipe of lasagna one time but when we sat it on the counter our Pyrex dish exploded. Rather than throw the lasagna out we just kind of scraped the bottom and side layers off and ate it anyways. I always tried to believe those extra crunchy bits were just herbs.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 19, 2014

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GreyPowerVan posted:

I ordered spaghetti at a Shoneys once when I was like 6 and could barely eat it because I was expecting something as good as my grandmother's. Since then I've never ordered spaghetti at a restaurant. And yeah, I'll do the other recipes and maybe just post them in this thread since I don't know where else to put them. It'll be a while though, don't know about the cake until Christmas.
I've not tried using green peppers in lasagna, but not a bad idea. Oh, and unless Sacramento tomato juice is dirt cheap, I can't. Broke college student.

Thanks for posting after all! That's a pretty involved spaghetti sauce but it looks delicious.

Also:

quote:

Humorous story on lasagna... My dad and I made a really nice and kind of expensive recipe of lasagna one time but when we sat it on the counter our Pyrex dish exploded. Rather than throw the lasagna out we just kind of scraped the bottom and side layers off and ate it anyways. I always tried to believe those extra crunchy bits were just herbs.

:gonk:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The Midniter posted:

Thanks for posting after all! That's a pretty involved spaghetti sauce but it looks delicious.

Also:

:gonk:

It's not that bad! It takes a little bit to set up but you can really just let it sit while it's cooking.

Hey man, lasagna aint cheap. (If it makes you feel better I didn't eat the lasagna, he did :v:)

Derek of the Andes
Dec 10, 2009

GreyPowerVan posted:

Okay, I've made this recipe 3 times now, but then somehow the original pictures I took from the first time somehow appeared on my camera when I plugged it back in. Cheap cameras suck. I made this at night, so most of the pictures are dark and blurry.

Burma's Spaghetti

2-3 lb Ground Chuck (If you can find 80-20 chuck, that's what I use.)
2 t. Sugar
1/4 - 1/2 t. Black Pepper
1 t. Basil
2-3 Bay Leaves
4 T. Worcestershire
1/2 t. Garlic (I just use the jars of pre-minced stuff)
2 t. Oregano
46~ oz Tomato Juice
12~ oz Tomato Paste (Use more if you want a thicker sauce, also simmer it longer)
16~ oz Tomato Sauce
1 medium green Bell Pepper
1 large onion
0-10 oz Water (Depending on how thick you want the sauce)
1 T. Chili Powder
1 1/4 t. Salt
Hot Sauce to taste

All of the ingredients, laid out.

Wait a minute, we're not using crushed tomatoes? No, we're not, and I can tell you why. I'm sure I could make a similar or better sauce with them, but it never tastes as good to me, and this recipe is a family legacy at this point.
Now, for the ingredients, I've tried getting cheaper brands of all kinds and the only things that I noticed that you need at least a decent quality store brand for is the Tomato and Worcestershire. I couldn't find any Tomato Juice/Worcestershire that wasn't the IGA brand, and I could definitely taste it in the final product. Get better stuff.

Here's some back story before we start the recipe. My grandmother and her sister owned a locally famous bakeshop in my hometown for years, they had to turn away work constantly because EVERYONE wanted their wedding cakes done there. I don't think I ever ate anything she made that I didn't like. She also participated in baking The World's Largest cake in 1989. I'm sure someone else has beaten us by now, but it was a claim to fame for a while.

I may post other recipes from my family later, especially our Red Velvet cake and Baked Macaroni. Virtually every recipe in our family was created by my grandmother, who is now 90 and sadly unable to cook. I took some of the spaghetti to her though, and it made her happy. Go spend some time with your family and stop reading this post, you glutton.

Take your meat, throw it into a pan and brown it. Afterwards, drain it out and take some paper towels to try to remove most of the grease, then set it aside.

Put a small amount of oil into a pot, I just used the one I'm cooking the finished sauce in, and heat it up to medium heat. Chop up the onion(It's okay if you cry, I'll assume the tears are from how beautiful the recipe is) and bell pepper, and remove the seeds if you prefer. Then throw them into the pot to saute.

Stir it around occasionally, when the onions start getting translucent and it smells great, turn it down on low and toss the meat in there with it. Now add the rest of the ingredients, I usually add them in order of Tomato products -> Dry products -> Worcestershire and hot sauce.

Turn it up until it starts bubbling, then turn it down to low heat and cover it. Set a timer for 2 hours, and come back and stir it every 15-30 minutes.

If you want garlic bread, and you better, I usually buy a loaf of french bread. Melt some butter in a pot and put garlic powder in it, pour it onto the bread halves, and put it in the oven on 350 until it seems decently crisp, then turn the broiler on high for a minute to get a nice crisp crust on top.

When the spaghetti is done, put some Parmesan cheese on it if that's your thing. This plate had way too much cheese on it, since the lid fell off.

Were you cooking during an air raid??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Derek of the Andes posted:

Were you cooking during an air raid??

Hahaha, what? If you mean the darkness around the edges, like I said it's an old camera.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 20, 2014

• Locked thread