Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythraul
Nov 6, 2013

So, this year I've decided to "simplify" my Christmas shopping by getting everybody comics. And setting this constraint has worked - by narrowing down the field of possible gifts to just comics, it was really easy to come up with appropriate gifts for everyone!

Except Mom.

So, to make this post *generally* applicable: What comics do people recommend for non-comics readers?

More specific to me, though: What should I get my mom?

She likes romance, she likes dramas, she likes "character comedy" ("Kinky Boots" and "Ally McBeal" good, "American Pie" bad).

I can't imagine her liking anything with superheroes, and anything generally fantasy or sci fi would have to be background to a story more about relationships.

What are folks' thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
How about Strangers in Paradise? No fantasy or superheroes, but some violence and lesbians.

Cythraul
Nov 6, 2013

Strangers in Paradise would be perfect, but it's tricky to find. Everything I'm finding on Amazon is used or expensive.

MrGunner
Apr 9, 2004

dream the dream of your attrition
For most people I'd say Bone is always good. Y the Last Man might work. I've heard good things about a book called Blankets.

MrGunner fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 20, 2014

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not good for your mom, but I've hooked a lot of people fond of police dramas/procedurals with Top Ten.

For moms man... Anya's Ghost? Goodbye Chunky Rice?

For dads: Essex County?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Box Office Poison, Too Cool to be Forgotten, or Tricked by Alex Robinson.

Maybe Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli

Ghost World by Clowes

Maybe Locas by Hernandez. Maaaaybe Palomar (or the L&R set) although I don't know if that gets too racy.

Maybe Daytripper

A Meatslab
Apr 15, 2010
I'd definitely second Asterios-Polyp.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
You could always do American Splendor.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Otoyomegatari

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bride%27s_Story