Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Problem description: Bought new RAM not matching old ram but voltage is the same, installed and comp boots properly but not reading the extra 4GB. I've got 2, 2GB sticks and 1 4GB. The 4GB is the new one.

Attempted fixes: Made sure it was installed properly :downs:

--

Operating system: Windows 7 - 64 Bit

System specs: My mobo is http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=466, it can support up to 16gb

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Thanks for any help :) Will update if I miraculously fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014
The biostar website isn't working all the way atm, so can't look at specs on your mb and chipset. If you could give model # instead of link, that would help. Also, all the ram timing specs would be helpful.

Provided your MB can accept 4G stick in general, I'm guessing it's either DDR2 or DDR3 RAM...in which case you never want to add just a single stick as it will halve your ram transfer rates. You always want to add a matched pair of RAM (or in the case of DDR4, matched set of 4).

Also, when you say not showing up, not show up in the bios or does it show there and not in windows?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Post your system specs and what RAM you got if you want help.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
update your motherboard bios
try just the 4gb stick alone

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Managed to get it fixed! My third port is borked, and the new ram won't let my comp boot if it's in slot one. So it's now 2gb,4gb,none,2gb.

Thanks for the attempts guys! Took a lot of blood sweat (and a few tears I am not ashamed to admit :( ) but I got all 8 gigaboops

• Locked thread