Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

medibot posted:

The differences between the Shimomura-directed and Sakurai-directed Kirby games make a significant difference in how the games feel. In Shimomura's "Dream Land" series, the pace is more relaxed, and abilities tend to have one function. The emphasis is on changing abilities by changing out part of the combination that makes up the ability: the helper or ability in Dream Land 2 and 3, or one of the two abilities in 64. One minor change that I think would improve Kirby 64 in this regard would be the ability to split a combination ability apart, thereby allowing the player to exchange half of it, rather than having to give it up entirely to change abilities. However, I recognize that in implementing such functionality, the control complexity necessarily increases, which stands in opposition to the overall design of Kirby games. In Sakurai's "Adventure" series, the pace is faster, and abilities tend to have more functions. It deemphasizes a frequent changing of abilities and instead encourages sticking with an ability that you like and adapting its move list to the game's challenges. Both directors have valid approaches, and preferring one to the other is largely a matter of personal taste.

I vaguely remember being able to throw a combined ability star at ability-bearing enemies to replace one of the two abilities with theirs, but I might be remembering wrong. I know for sure you can create combination stars by throwing single-ability stars at the right enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
The combined star would just act as if you inhaled and spat out 2 or more enemies at once, if I'm remembering correctly. One mechanic I really liked in Crystal Shards was that you could hold an enemy above your head, and they would sometimes do unique things.

Where does Kirby's Adventure lie in this dichotomy of Shimomura and Sakurai? I feel that game is relatively fast paced, but also features the one-function powers - though has a lot of them instead of the standard six you see in Dreamland 2 and 3.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MR. J posted:

The combined star would just act as if you inhaled and spat out 2 or more enemies at once, if I'm remembering correctly. One mechanic I really liked in Crystal Shards was that you could hold an enemy above your head, and they would sometimes do unique things.

Where does Kirby's Adventure lie in this dichotomy of Shimomura and Sakurai? I feel that game is relatively fast paced, but also features the one-function powers - though has a lot of them instead of the standard six you see in Dreamland 2 and 3.

That's a Sakurai game, but it was still pretty early. Regardless, I'd say it's closer to a later-Sakurai style Kirby than a Shimomura one because Adventure feels a lot more open and fast paced and is generally more of a beat em up, unlike the Dreamland series.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Adventure has one-use powers because it's an NES game. It's otherwise really fast-paced and built like the rest,

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

One of my friends is a professional animator.

It's so adorable :3:

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Bellmaker posted:

Oh. My. God. :3:
Cosmetic upgrade for Leaf?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yep. I actually didn't like using powers against bosses in the older Kirby games. They felt way too weak, especially since they could only do one attack. It seemed like just swallowing stars and spitting them back was more effective.
In Kirby's Adventure, the only boss I preferred using the old suck-up-and-spit-out method against was King Dedede. In Dreamland 2 and 3 as well as Kirby 64, powers were used less as a way to defeat bosses and more as a way to solve puzzles.

I like the power-centric kind of Kirby games in Super Star and the rest of the series.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Ramengank posted:

Oh. My. God. :3:
Cosmetic upgrade for Leaf?

It's the needle/leaf combo power.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Male Man posted:

It's the needle/leaf combo power.

Nah, it's the Mega Evolution of Leaf.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Y-Hat posted:

In Kirby's Adventure, the only boss I preferred using the old suck-up-and-spit-out method against was King Dedede. In Dreamland 2 and 3 as well as Kirby 64, powers were used less as a way to defeat bosses and more as a way to solve puzzles.

I like the power-centric kind of Kirby games in Super Star and the rest of the series.

I also prefer the Sakurai style of Kirby, though more for the added mobility Kirby enjoys. Getting around and avoiding hazards is a lot smoother than in Dreamland 2/3 and 64. In the Shimomura games, it can sometimes feel like you're fighting the controls as much as the enemies, at least when you're coming off a Sakurai-style game and getting used to how sluggish Kirby feels in the other ones. What's amazing is how Nago's triple jump made even Dedede laughably easy, just because you can traverse the boss arena quickly and easily. The mere restoration of what, in Super Star, is normal movement, renders a great deal of the challenge moot.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Bellmaker posted:

I looked for days for a good Kirby Christmas avatar. This would have been perfect.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Shame Sakurai doesn't work at HAL anymore, because I really want that air ride 2 with a bigger city mode :(

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Pixeltendo posted:

Shame Sakurai doesn't work at HAL anymore, because I really want that air ride 2 with a bigger city mode :(

There's always Smash Run to fill the void.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

tinkerttoy posted:

There's always Smash Run to fill the void.
It's funny how much Sakurai has made Smash Bros a Kirby game in disguise.
The challenge system is ripped straight from Air Ride, Smash Run is basically City Trial, the set up of the rest rooms in All Star mode with the chill music and healing items is just like the Arena, and Subspace Emissary is essentially a Kirby platformer to the point where several of the original Subpace enemies are just Kirby enemies with a different model.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

InspectorCarbonara posted:

It's funny how much Sakurai has made Smash Bros a Kirby game in disguise.
The challenge system is ripped straight from Air Ride, Smash Run is basically City Trial, the set up of the rest rooms in All Star mode with the chill music and healing items is just like the Arena, and Subspace Emissary is essentially a Kirby platformer to the point where several of the original Subpace enemies are just Kirby enemies with a different model.

It's as if he wants to say "Hey, I want to work on Kirby again, instead of this really stress inducing work where some dweeb will try to challenge me to a game of Smash for the right to balance characters."

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Bellmaker posted:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ArcadePark posted:

It's as if he wants to say "Hey, I want to work on Kirby again, instead of this really stress inducing work where some dweeb will try to challenge me to a game of Smash for the right to balance characters."

I dunno, the entire reason he left HAL was because he was tired of making sequels. Kind of begs the question of why he keeps doing Smash Bros.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's more that Sakurai's output is a big katamari ball of systems that get dragged from one game to the next , I think.

EclecticTastes posted:

I dunno, the entire reason he left HAL was because he was tired of making sequels. Kind of begs the question of why he keeps doing Smash Bros.

I'm guessing it's because Iwata keeps begging him to do it and he basically gets carte blanche do to as he wants with whichever IPs he wants.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

EclecticTastes posted:

I also prefer the Sakurai style of Kirby, though more for the added mobility Kirby enjoys. Getting around and avoiding hazards is a lot smoother than in Dreamland 2/3 and 64. In the Shimomura games, it can sometimes feel like you're fighting the controls as much as the enemies, at least when you're coming off a Sakurai-style game and getting used to how sluggish Kirby feels in the other ones. What's amazing is how Nago's triple jump made even Dedede laughably easy, just because you can traverse the boss arena quickly and easily. The mere restoration of what, in Super Star, is normal movement, renders a great deal of the challenge moot.

I love Kirby 64 to death but going back to it after playing Return to Dreamland or any other Sakurai game feels like you're running through molasses constantly, and the minute you puff up to fly your momentum just disappears.

It makes Kirby 64 speedruns really boring to watch because it boils down to "how fast can you get Fire/Fire and how good are you at air cancelling?"

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope
I like the more relaxed pace of Kirby 64, but I won't defend its speedrun as being particularly interesting. This is something I've noticed in many Kirby speedruns. There tends to be an ability that gives Kirby the fastest movement possibly, and the run is all about using that movement mode.

Please enjoy Kirby at the pace and style of your choice.

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013

And thus Kirby ate Santa to gain the power of Christmas.

Bellmaker posted:

Also, I kind of wish he spit out some presents as his attack after he ate the tree. Or some ornaments. Ornanents would work too.

Shinarato fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 19, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I mean, dude made Kid Icarus: Uprising and Meteos. I didn't even know that when they came out, I just simply knew that they were Sakurai games from the menus.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I figured this is relevant- it's a demonstration of how hosed the Spider Wizard (forgot his name) is when Kirby finally catches up to him. There are some spoilers for this game, though,so watch at your own risk.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw. I was hoping, based on that video title, that there was an alternate death animation that didn't involve lava frog getting squashed to death. Now I'm sad.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

I mean, dude made Kid Icarus: Uprising and Meteos. I didn't even know that when they came out, I just simply knew that they were Sakurai games from the menus.

Ah yeah, Sakurai sure loves his wacky menus. Can't really blame him, either. :3:

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

I figured this is relevant- it's a demonstration of how hosed the Spider Wizard (forgot his name) is when Kirby finally catches up to him. There are some spoilers for this game, though,so watch at your own risk.

When this guy says spoilers he means footage of Kirby defeating the final boss of this game. The most extreme type of spoilers. Please be aware.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Great Joe posted:

Ah yeah, Sakurai sure loves his wacky menus. Can't really blame him, either. :3:

They're designed by his wife, actually. People complained in the leadup to Smash 4's release that Sakurai was wasting pics-of-the-day by showing off how much he liked the menus but I don't think they realized that he was indirectly showing his appreciation for his wife's hard work. :3:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ChaosArgate posted:

They're designed by his wife, actually. People complained in the leadup to Smash 4's release that Sakurai was wasting pics-of-the-day by showing off how much he liked the menus but I don't think they realized that he was indirectly showing his appreciation for his wife's hard work. :3:

I mean no disrespect to Mr. Sakurai when I say this, but given how consistently great Mrs. Sakurai's menus are I think she has a higher average hit rate than him.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I mean no disrespect to Mr. Sakurai when I say this, but given how consistently great Mrs. Sakurai's menus are I think she has a higher average hit rate than him.

On the other hand, I have a feeling that Masahiro is the prettier of the two.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

On the other hand, I have a feeling that Masahiro is the prettier of the two.

You have a strong assumption that Mrs. Sakurai aged normally.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ArcadePark posted:

You have a strong assumption that Mrs. Sakurai aged normally.

I could only find one not-so-great picture of Michiko Sakurai, but it appears that we're talking about the best-looking couple in the entire games industry.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Super edit: I may have misunderstood what was going on here.

George fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 20, 2014

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

George posted:

It's really important for any woman to look hot. Otherwise, gently caress her to death.

edit: seriously what the gently caress is wrong with you people? This is a Kirby thread.

Well, in fairness, I was just making a joke about Masahiro Sakurai looking like some sort of supermodel, sorry if it ended up a bit of a misfire.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

EclecticTastes posted:

Well, in fairness, I was just making a joke about Masahiro Sakurai looking like some sort of supermodel, sorry if it ended up a bit of a misfire.

I guess I misunderstood what you were saying.

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope
The next video will be late due to curious and previously unanticipated sorcery at the end of the game. Please wait patiently, and try not to get agitated at each other in the meantime. I do not want to see people do things that will result in punishments.

The good news is, we are very near to rescuing King Dedede! I'm sure he will be very pleased to see us when we arrive to help him out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

medibot posted:

The good news is, we are very near to rescuing King Dedede! I'm sure he will be very pleased to see us when we arrive to help him out.

And why wouldn't he be? Since when has Dedede ever been less than thrilled to see Kirby?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I wonder if King Dedede is indigestible and thus the only being Kirby truly respects?

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Wouldn't that apply to all the world bosses he's fought so far as well?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

They won't let you enter the boss stages in Hypernova mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

They won't let you enter the boss stages in Hypernova mode.

Oh, you say that now. You say that now.

• Locked thread