Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Work kept my brain occupied and I just realized that I'll be in Puerto Rico next week on a much-needed vacation. What's the goon opinion on the single best restaurant to book a table at in San Juan (we'll be staying in Condado, not renting a car save for one day) and if there's a rum distillery other than Bacardi that does tours/tastings.

I have nothing against Bacardi, it's just that if there's a better one, I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

There is a cuban / south american steak place that was awesome on the main drag in Condado. Overall it will be overpriced and poo poo though, the good stuff is in Old SJ. Luckily old SJ is a $15 or so taxi ride away. Go uphill away from hardbor, find shady place that has been open for 100 years, try not to get lost in La Perla, end up at El Batey drinking with locals until 8am.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I think wwb may be referring to Che's, but I can't remember if that's considered Condado or Isla Verde.

There's a diamond in the rough called The Waterfront on 187 East of Isla Verde and the airport. It's in a shanty town near Pinones and you'd think I was insane sending you there when you see the surroundings, but the food is excellent:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g775322-d2555868-Reviews-The_Waterfront_Restaurant-Loiza_Puerto_Rico.html

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011
Going to side with the recommends to get away from the coast if you want to do something special. Best meal I had was fresh pork in what was essentially a buffet place for tourists on the way back from the arecibo dish.

Usual tourist advice: go up some side streets and eat where the locals do; it's cheaper and usually more interesting.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

impulse 7 effect posted:

Going to side with the recommends to get away from the coast if you want to do something special. Best meal I had was fresh pork in what was essentially a buffet place for tourists on the way back from the arecibo dish.

Usual tourist advice: go up some side streets and eat where the locals do; it's cheaper and usually more interesting.

We're going to be heading to Arecibo and would need to stop for lunch. Is this place worth the stop or is there better to be had?

Only difficulty, I gotta order something that either contains minimal or no garlic or onions - wife's got a pretty bad gastrointestinal disorder. I've brushed up on my Spanish enough to say "my wife has a really bad allergy to garlic and onions - can this be made without them?" and can ID dishes that would be potentially iffy. It won't kill her, just cause bad discomfort the next day.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011
It was a sort of truck stop cafe place on the main road once you get out of the little roads next to all the little satellite dish houses. Big tasty pig carcass outside which you took some chunks from then went inside to choose some of that salted fish or bread fruit or whatever. It was just really good food.

Getting one of those big cups of breadfruit with chicken or whatever is really good if you've been surfing/hiking/etc.

If you go to see the dish, see if you can get into the caves nearby as those are really cool, too.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MJP posted:

We're going to be heading to Arecibo and would need to stop for lunch. Is this place worth the stop or is there better to be had?

Only difficulty, I gotta order something that either contains minimal or no garlic or onions - wife's got a pretty bad gastrointestinal disorder. I've brushed up on my Spanish enough to say "my wife has a really bad allergy to garlic and onions - can this be made without them?" and can ID dishes that would be potentially iffy. It won't kill her, just cause bad discomfort the next day.

The garlic chicken was the best thing I had at The Waterfront, so tough break on that one.

And as impulse said, go to Rio Camuy Caves if you're headed to Arecibo anyway. They can both be done in a day.

silencekit
May 1, 2014

Marmalade tasting menu was one of the best meals I've ever had.

Just ignore the terrible website:

http://www.marmaladepr.com/

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

silencekit posted:

Marmalade tasting menu was one of the best meals I've ever had.

Just ignore the terrible website:

http://www.marmaladepr.com/

From their cocktail menu:

quote:

“The Farmer’s Daughter”
BBQ’d heirloom tomato ice cubes swim with
muddled arugula, organic celery juice,
serrano chili & our very own smoked bacon vodka
finished with ice cold beer and a squeeze of lime

:stare:

silencekit
May 1, 2014

I had a drink there called a Global Warming that was loving spectacular.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

silencekit posted:

I had a drink there called a Global Warming that was loving spectacular.

It's still on the menu!

quote:

“Global Warming”
a fiery three chili spherical ice cube
slowly melts into a hibiscus & basil infused
Corralejo Reposado Margarita…
The longer we wait the hotter it’s going to get…

That sounds either like the worst or the best thing.

I like spicy stuff so it sounds like the best.

Although I gotta say, I'm more interested to go there and have a drink or two - does it have a bar or is it just table service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silencekit
May 1, 2014

I believe it was just table service, but it's probably worth finding out. Those drinks were expensive. Let me assure you, the Global Warming was excellent. The drink gets spicier as the ice cube melts, and the evolution of the flavor is pretty dramatic.

• Locked thread