Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

SSNeoman posted:

Could I see the code you use for this? Or just like the screenshot of your event window?

I'm at work at the moment, so I don't have access to the computer in question.

It's two steps:

1) go into the Tilesets tab of the database and make sure the tile you're using for the hole is marked as passable.

2) place the event, using that tile as its icon, and set its priority to Below Player. No fancy coding necessary.

That's if you're just placing an event with a picture of a hole on top of the existing wall. If you're trying to make the wall actually disappear, you'd have to get a bit trickier (like adding another tile to your doodads tileset that looks just like the wall, placing an event using that tile over an empty space, and then having the event disappear when the boss dies.). I've seen people do things like collapsing bridges using tricks like that.

If you're still stuck when I get home I'll post a couple screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hey that worked! Turns out I had to uncheck the "through" checkbox. Thanks for the help :)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Here's a simple puzzle meant to serve as introduction to an ice dungeon. It lacks the switches, traps, and wandering enemies that show up later.

While on the ice your guy doesn't stop sliding until he smacks into some sort of wall. I noticed the player kept fiddling with the joystick while sliding and seemed to solve the puzzle on accident. What would be the simplest way of communicating this rule to them ingame?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 2, 2015

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Jackard posted:

Here's a simple puzzle meant to serve as introduction to an ice dungeon. It lacks the switches, traps, and wandering enemies that show up later.

While on the ice your guy doesn't stop sliding until he smacks into some sort of wall. I noticed the player kept fiddling with the joystick while sliding and seemed to solve the puzzle on accident. What would be the simplest way of communicating this rule to them ingame?

I think if you're trying to do an introduction, it would be a lot more effective to give them a smaller patch of ice to get across (something that only requires a couple turns) before giving them a full-blown ice maze to get through. What you have looks like something you'd give an introduction to.

EDIT: Check out the lower-left corner of 12F from Etrian Odyssey 2, which is where you enter, and then compare it to the room just north of it.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 2, 2015

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Communicating what? That your RPG ice floor has RPG ice floor physics?

Probably by making it an ice floor in an RPG.

Seriously, "mashing directional buttons until you're where you want to be" is, like, the best way to solve 90% of those puzzles.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Seyser Koze posted:

I think if you're trying to do an introduction, it would be a lot more effective to give them a smaller patch of ice to get across (something that only requires a couple turns) before giving them a full-blown ice maze to get through. What you have looks like something you'd give an introduction to. Check out the lower-left corner of 12F from Etrian Odyssey 2, which is where you enter, and then compare it to the room just north of it.
Gotcha. I always have a little hallway at the dungeon entrance, so I'll just put some patches of twisty ice there.

Edward_Tohr posted:

Communicating what? That your RPG ice floor has RPG ice floor physics? Probably by making it an ice floor in an RPG.
I hadn't seen any do the corner-sliding gimmick before.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 2, 2015

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Jackard posted:

Gotcha. I always have a little hallway at the dungeon entrance, so I'll just put some patches of twisty ice there.

I hadn't seen any do the corner-sliding gimmick before.

It's INCREDIBLY common.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Say whatever happened to Testekill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Jackard posted:

Say whatever happened to Testekill?

It's the start of a new semester so maybe classes are kicking his rear end? Same reason I don't update my LP atm :v:

• Locked thread