Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014
We live in Boston so for a good chunk of the year if you set the thermostat to a reasonable level the air gets so dry my eyeballs start to hurt.

We've been using one of those humidifiers with a filter. It wicks moisture form a reservoir into a large paper filter and a fan blows air through the filter. This sucks because I hate changing the filter and if I forget it get's pretty gross.
The reservoir is also an inconvenient shape to refill.

Granted, I'm being a bit whiny about the whole thing but if anyone knows of a humidifier that works really well I'd love to hear about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Depending on the way your house is laid out, i always went with just boiling a giant stock pot of water to humidify the house. We had an old-rear end house with a gas furnace in college, and a giant pot of water humidified the downstairs just fine (upstairs, where the heat rose, was a whole lot better and didn't need any extra humidity/warmth)

\/\/ we had a gas stove at the time, and compared to the cost of running the gas furnace full blast, it was like an extra 3 cents a day. We had free water though, so it was entirely possible to use all 4 burners and save like $10/day on the gas bill because 4 big stock pots of boiling water raises the temp to nearly bearable without the furnace running.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 28, 2014

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014
If we had a wood burning stove I would totally put a pot of water on top but we have a gas stove and I'm a bit sketched out about leaving it on unattended. How much does that cost you in gas/electricity?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I have a humidifier which resembled this:

Yes, it was on sale and it works OK for the small bedroom. Although, it's important to place it on a elevated surface as it will condense the water/mist on the floor over time. There's no filter other than you need to refill it once it reaches a certain low point. Not that easy to refill but at least you don't need to refill 2 separate water containers in other models.

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014
Wow. My daughter would poo poo for joy if we got her an animal shaped humidifier.
I'm off to see if I can find a dragon one.
All functional considerations are gonna have to take a back seat.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I hears if you fill the humidifier with liquor you can get drunk by just breathing

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I had two different wicking humidifiers in the high New Mexico desert, and they were both inadequate.

I then got an ultrasonic humidifier. I think it was a vic's brand, from Walgreen's. Works like a champ for ~1000ft^2. Every third or fourth time you empty the reservoir, pull everything apart and wipe off the transducer with a vinegar-soaked paper towel to get hard water and algae off of it, and it will last for a while.

In 4% outside humidity, I would refill it with filtered water (Brita) or deionized about once every 18 hours on its maximum setting, which was required to keep the indoor humidity around 20%. The humidifier does produce a plume of droplets, so having it somewhat up is useful, as there may be a landing zone of damp on the floor.

rus0
Nov 14, 2014

SeventhUncle posted:

If we had a wood burning stove I would totally put a pot of water on top but we have a gas stove and I'm a bit sketched out about leaving it on unattended. How much does that cost you in gas/electricity?

I was unsettled about leaving one unattended on our stove at first, but its been years and no problems. Only issue you would run into is kids running around, when we had little kids we had a metal-grate-fence type thing around the stove (about waist high). Which was also nice for having hats/gloves on for warming up :)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SeventhUncle posted:

Wow. My daughter would poo poo for joy if we got her an animal shaped humidifier.
I'm off to see if I can find a dragon one.
All functional considerations are gonna have to take a back seat.

There is a red dragon one but IMHO looks closer to dinosaur instead:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

rus0 posted:

I was unsettled about leaving one unattended on our stove at first, but its been years and no problems. Only issue you would run into is kids running around, when we had little kids we had a metal-grate-fence type thing around the stove (about waist high). Which was also nice for having hats/gloves on for warming up :)

Please stop doing this so you do not burn down your house.

I just moved to a dry climate and the wife is having trouble adjusting. We bought one of these for our room and it works almost too well.

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Qui...well+humidifier

If you need something bigger than that I would say it's probably time to get one installed with your furnace.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Internet Explorer posted:

Please stop doing this so you do not burn down your house.

I just moved to a dry climate and the wife is having trouble adjusting. We bought one of these for our room and it works almost too well.

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Qui...well+humidifier

If you need something bigger than that I would say it's probably time to get one installed with your furnace.

Yeah, i wouldn't recommend the "boil water" method unless you're nearby. Our kitchen was through the beerpong room (technically a dining room, but what college kid actually uses a formal dining room?) and could be seen from where the gaming chairs in front of the TV were, so if something went wrong we'd catch it. At night we were upstairs, and generally the furnace itself was fine with all the mold in the house providing the humidity upstairs. (the house was demolished after we moved out. We got to help!) So it wasn't as though we were leaving it unattended.

If you're nearby, or if you have an open plan house the boil water method is a cheap as gently caress way to humidify/heat the house though. I would have loved to get a waist high baby gate though just to keep the drunks away from it. We couldn't run the cheap heat/humidity when we had a party because it was a giant hazard. We just threw parties big enough that the sheer mass of people would heat the house. Also a cheap way to heat/humidify your house! Sweat and beer are humidity, right? If you charge per cup, you can even make money off the endeavor.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
I bought one of when I bought a piano these four years ago to keep the sound board from drying out in winter. It's in a living room that's about 400 sq ft and not separated in any way from the rest of the 2300 sq ft house. It reliably keeps the piano at 25% humidity or higher during the heating season (Chicago area). Initially I got it due to the gigantic reservoir capacity since I didn't want to to have fill it ten times a day, but it's been great in using it during four winters. I only have to fill the tanks about every day and a half, the wicks are 10 bucks to replace once a year and I only have to soak the base in CLR for a few minutes at the end of the season to get the scale off of the important bits (we have high quality well water, but it's got a lot of minerals in it). Would buy another, since consumer-grade humidifiers classically tend to be enormously lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drheat
Feb 20, 2008
If you use an ultrasonic humidifier, you really should only put distilled water in it. The ultrasonic humidifiers put EVERYTHING thats in the water into the air including all the minerals, which aren't to good for your lungs and will leave white powder on everything.

Humidifiers that use a wick/evaporator pad give better quality humidity because only the water evaporates, the minerals and contaminants are left behind in the water tray. On these types its best to change the water when its about 50-75% used up as opposed to just adding more. If you continuously top up the water you will get serious mineral deposits inside. If you dump out the water before refilling, then the minerals will be dumped out too while they are still in solution in the water.

• Locked thread