Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Problem description: I've been having continual issues with the USB ports on this Elitebook 8560w for the past few months. At this point, the two(USB 2.0) ports on the left side will not recognize anything plugged into them at all. In what may be a separate issue, some peripherals plugged into the 3.0 ports on the right hand side will not install their proper drivers. I have two "Unknown Devices" showing up as well, each sharing the same Hardware ID of:

USB\VID_8087&PID_0024&REV_0000
USB\VID_8087&PID_0024

Attempted fixes: I've tried going into Device Manager, uninstalling the Root Hubs, rebooting, and scanning for hardware changes, but that doesn't seem to fix the issue. I've tried installing the latest Intel chipset drivers (as there is no separate USB 2.0 driver for the HP EliteBook 8560w), but that didn't work either. I didn't figure it'd do vary much because of the big warning on the Intel site:

**Important**
The Intel Chipset Device Software does not install drivers for AGP or USB. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS UTILITY IF YOUR DEVICE MANUFACTURER IS RECOMMENDING IT TO CORRECT AN "AGP DRIVER," "AGP GART," OR "USB DRIVER" ISSUE; IT WILL NOT CORRECT YOUR ISSUE.

My next step was going to be trying to remove items from the registry, but I felt like I should reach out for help before I start doing that.

Recent changes: I'd installed a USB 2-port hub that I've never used before, built in to the Dell 24" monitor I just received.

--

Operating system:Windows 7 Pro, SP1

System specs: HP Elitebook 8560w

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
From this page:
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5071172&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4059

USB 3.0 driver
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5071172&swItemId=ob_108572_1&swEnvOid=4059

If the drivers for your USB 2.0 ports are installed and they used to work then suddenly stopped it could be a hardware issue. The USB ports are usually only held on by the solder points and can come loose after usage. Do the devices you plug into the 2.0 ports light up like they get power? If you plug in something and then gently lift up or push down the plug does it make contact and start working?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

r0ck0 posted:

From this page:
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5071172&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4059

USB 3.0 driver
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5071172&swItemId=ob_108572_1&swEnvOid=4059

If the drivers for your USB 2.0 ports are installed and they used to work then suddenly stopped it could be a hardware issue. The USB ports are usually only held on by the solder points and can come loose after usage. Do the devices you plug into the 2.0 ports light up like they get power? If you plug in something and then gently lift up or push down the plug does it make contact and start working?

The F-Lock light on my wired key board lights up for a half-second when I plug it in to one of the two ports, but then goes dark. Otherwise other devices (my cellphone, my iPod) won't charge from the ports.

I have reinstalled the USB 3.0 driver from that page, but that hasn't helped with much (if anything).

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Plugged into the 2.0 port you gently left up or push down on the plug does it get power/light up? If you plug them into the usb 3.0 ports do they charge/get power?

The usb 3.0 devices still show as unrecognized? I would go back and install all the other chipset drivers and anything else from that page, including updating the BIOS. Check the BIOS that the USB devices are enabled, setup correctly. Load BIOS defaults?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

r0ck0 posted:

Plugged into the 2.0 port you gently left up or push down on the plug does it get power/light up? If you plug them into the usb 3.0 ports do they charge/get power?

The usb 3.0 devices still show as unrecognized? I would go back and install all the other chipset drivers and anything else from that page, including updating the BIOS. Check the BIOS that the USB devices are enabled, setup correctly. Load BIOS defaults?

I edited my previous post to note that I actually had installed the USB3 drivers, but they didn't solve the issue. Sorry!

And I lied earlier! Half-inserting the USB plug into the port leaves the F-lock light lit. My phone also seems to register.... something. Not enough for an actual connection, though, and I don't get any activity in Device Manager showing me that anything has been connected.

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 4, 2014

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Sorry about the double-post, but...

I tested all the ports using a diagnostic available in my BIOS/UEFI, and all ports work until Windows is loaded. Sooo... Windows drivers, 100% chance, I guess.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
does that test rule out a physical hardware connection problem?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

r0ck0 posted:

does that test rule out a physical hardware connection problem?

Yup. Tried the keyboard in all ports, and I was able to interact with the BIOS/UEFI with all of them.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Good, you're on your own from here on out.

edit: kidding

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 4, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Is it possible for you to do a system restore going back a few weeks to before the problem existed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Zogo posted:

Is it possible for you to do a system restore going back a few weeks to before the problem existed?

Unfortunately, it's an inherited laptop, and somehow there aren't any system restore points that old.

It's feeling more and more like it's time for a format and reinstall. :sigh:

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 5, 2014

• Locked thread