Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I wasn't sure whether there was a thread for this, or if it whether it should go in BFC, so I just brought it here:

I had an interview for a contract job with company. They sent me, among other things, a link to a sample contract.

I have never been a contract worker as such, and I've never had a contract in the US with a noncompete clause (and the ones I had overseas were a lot less sweeping). So I don't know if this is as insane as it seems to me. Also, I've been out of the US for a long time, and out of the US labor market for considerably longer. I don't have any idea whether things have gotten this bad or not.

There are two main WTF parts of this contact. The first is this:

quote:

2.04. For Contractor’s services, Company agrees to pay Contractor $_____20.00______ per hour
REDACTED customers of Company for sessions lasting less than two hours, or
$____15.00_____ per hour spent REDACTED customers of Company for REDACTED lasting two or
more hours. Company agrees to pay for Contractor’s services on a semi-weekly basis; provided,
however, that Company may change the frequency of compensation by giving Contractor thirty (30)
days written notice.

So for a 2 hour lesson you get 40 dollars. For a 3 hour lesson, you get 45 dollars. (Well, that's one way to interpret this) Someone wrote this and thought no one would object to it.

quote:

2. Covenants Not to Compete. Contractor agrees as follows:
(a) Contractor has and will require special training, enhancement of skills and
knowledge at Company’s expense, which could be subsequently used to the
detriment of Company, Contractor expressly covenants that for a period of five (5)
years following the termination of this agreement, or his employment, for any reason,
she will not directly or indirectly own, manage, operate or be connected with the
ownership, management, operation or control of, consult with, or be an employee for
any business offering services to customers or clients of the Company within
the metropolitan area specified in the Contractor Agreement and within five (5) miles
of such metropolitan area.

(b) Contractor acknowledges and agrees that he or she has carefully read and considered
the provisions of this Section 2 and having done so, agrees that the restrictions set
forth in these paragraphs including, but not limited to, the time period of restriction
and geographical area of restriction are fair and reasonable and/or reasonably
necessary and required for the protection of the interests of Company and its officers,
members, and other employees.
(c) In the event that, notwithstanding the foregoing, any of the provisions of this Section
2 shall be held to be invalid or unenforceable or against the public interest, the
remaining provisions hereof shall nevertheless continue to be valid and enforceable
as though the invalid or unenforceable parts or provisions had not been included
herein. In the event that any part or provision of this Section 2 relating to the time
period and/or the areas of restriction shall be declared by a court of competent
jurisdiction to exceed the maximum time period or areas such court deems
reasonable and enforceable, the time period and/or areas of restriction deemed
reasonable and enforceable by the court shall become and thereafter be the maximum
time period and/or areas for purposes of this agreement.
(d) In the event of an actual or threatened breach by the Contractor of the provisions of
this Section 2, the Company shall be entitled to a permanent injunction for the
remainder of the five (5) year period restraining the Contractor from violating the
terms of the restrictive covenant in the above Section 2.(a). Nothing herein stated
shall be construed as prohibiting the Company from pursuing any other remedies
available to the Company for such breach or threatened breach, including the
recovery of damages from the Contractor.
(e) Contractor makes this covenant in consideration of the mutual promises, covenants
and benefits herein stated, and yet independent of any other provision of this
agreement and the existence of any other claim or cause of action of the Contractor
against the Company, whether or not arising out of this agreement, shall not
constitute a defense to Company’s enforcement of this covenant to the fullest extent
of its terms.

I think to keep this sufficiently vague for the time being, I won't specify the industry; but this isn't software engineering or anything like that, and the wages involved are not particularly high. (Though if you wanna net detective me...) Furthermore, it is not especially likely that I'll find anything outside this field in the near term. Basically they're asking to own me for the next year and a half, at least.

Oh yeah, and:

quote:

6. Liquidated Damages. Company retains the rights to all customers to whom the
Contractor renders services under the Contractor Agreement for the period of the above Covenant
Not to Compete. In the event Contractor renders services for any such customer during this
period other than pursuant to the Contractor Agreement, Contractor shall pay Company, as liquidated
damages, the sum of $1,500.00 for each such customer.

and

quote:

7. Attorney’s Fees. Contractor further agrees that in the event Company finds it reasonably necessary
to employ attorneys to enforce the covenants and agreements herein contained, Contractor shall pay
its reasonable attorney’s fees and related legal costs.

oh, and of course this:

quote:

3. Non-Disclosure of Terms. Ancillary to the agreement for confidentiality, Contractor agrees to keep
all terms of the Contractor Agreement and this agreement, including but not limited to information
about Contractor’s compensation, and will not disclose any such information to any third party,
specifically including any other independent contractors in a similar relationship with the Company,
and any customers or clients of Company.

It's pretty common for someone to leave and take customers with them in this kind of business, but god drat.

I know these things are supposed to be difficult to enforce; but this is the kind of non-compete I'd expect to see for a senior manager getting 7 loving figures, not a drone who'll be lucky to crack five.

I'm inclined to tell the guy to suck a dick. I mean, not just the contract, but when I was living in China I wouldn't have gotten out of bed for that little money. But I've been having trouble finding work compatible with school. I'm just wondering if this is as nuts as I think it is.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Come back to China.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
The laws vary from state to state. Non-competes are illegal in California, for instance. Many states have restrictions on the duration of the non-compete (usually about 2 years.) It's less common for states to honor work-restriction non-competes as opposed to trade secret non-competes. That non-compete would most likely get thrown out in a lot of states for a variety of reasons.

It's a pretty unlikely scenario to ever come up - contracting companies will put all sorts of poo poo in their contracts just to see if it will stick, but they'd still have to a) find out you're working for a competitor, and b) get a lawyer and actually like, sue you in stuff if they somehow found out you broke the non-compete in the remote chance that it's even enforceable. If you really care you can try just asking them to take that section of the contract out (can be accomplished by using a sharpee marker pretty easily) - I probably would just sign it without giving a gently caress though if I REALLY REALLY needed the money.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I probably wouldn't sign this as-is. I'm just wondering if this is common to even have someone throw this in a contract for a part-time contract job with low pay and no benefits. Is this something that people are generally expected to put up with these days?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

VideoTapir posted:

So for a 2 hour lesson you get 40 dollars. For a 3 hour lesson, you get 45 dollars. (Well, that's one way to interpret this) Someone wrote this and thought no one would object to it.

Actually, for a 2 hour session, you'd get 30 dollars. It's 20 per hour only if it is less than, not equal to, 2 hours.

And I'm interpreting this:

quote:

Contractor expressly covenants that for a period of five (5)
years following the termination of this agreement, or his employment, for any reason,
she will not directly or indirectly own, manage, operate or be connected with the
ownership, management, operation or control of, consult with, or be an employee for
any business offering services to customers or clients of the Company within
the metropolitan area specified in the Contractor Agreement and within five (5) miles
of such metropolitan area.

To mean you can't be employed by any business that offers any services to customers the company serves in your city. For example, you couldn't mop their floors or deliver pizzas to them. I'm not a lawyer, but that sounds crazy overly-broad to me, unless there's an assumption that they mean "in the same capacity as this job;" even then, that's not what's in the contract - just that you can't be employed for any job that interacts in any way with the same clients or customers.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

VideoTapir posted:

I probably wouldn't sign this as-is. I'm just wondering if this is common to even have someone throw this in a contract for a part-time contract job with low pay and no benefits. Is this something that people are generally expected to put up with these days?

Lawyers are expensive and a lot of people will just go on the internet and do DIY contracts/leases/etc. It's unlikely an actual lawyer was involved in the drafting of that contract. Legitimate companies with legal departments, and which also pay real money, may have actual lawyers come up with the contract, but you're probably dealing with someone who used Google as his contract attorney (in which case it's probably easy to negotiate to get rid of the non-compete, dude will probably let you just draw a line through the clause with a sharpee then and there.) The boilerplate is pretty common but it's only really enforced for like corporate executives or people with actual money.

The use case for suing is actual valuable employees. A non-compete lawyer might cost $300-$500 an hour - a company isn't spend thousands of dollars trying to sue some dude making $15 an hour on a contract job, especially since the court will almost certainly throw it out.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Sharkie posted:

Actually, for a 2 hour session, you'd get 30 dollars. It's 20 per hour only if it is less than, not equal to, 2 hours.

And I'm interpreting this:

To mean you can't be employed by any business that offers any services to customers the company serves in your city. For example, you couldn't mop their floors or deliver pizzas to them. I'm not a lawyer, but that sounds crazy overly-broad to me, unless there's an assumption that they mean "in the same capacity as this job;" even then, that's not what's in the contract - just that you can't be employed for any job that interacts in any way with the same clients or customers.

Sorry, I may have made that a little too ambiguous, I edited out a word related to the services, since I wasn't sure what is or isn't public on SA these days.

I've decided to say gently caress it, I'd have to be an idiot to work for those assholes. That seems to be the consensus online about them. All I was really wanting to know here is if contracts this lovely are common nowadays.

http://gradegetter.com/files/813310770.pdf

Here is the contract they sent me.

It's a tutoring job. Their information was forwarded by one of my professors, who I am guessing didn't know anything about them other than they had somehow gotten themselves involved with some project with which she was also affiliated. The founder went to one of the same schools as one of her former PhD students, as well, so that might be another connection.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
You seem to know the score, they just don't want you poaching customers. Don't do that, and you'll be fine. If you do, they might sue you, but my guess is that they aren't making a whole lot of profit off of an individual customer at the rates they are paying out to their contractors.

Also, if this is 1099, make sure you save 1/3 of that money for taxes.

edit: i missed the part where you said gently caress it, good for you.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

adorai posted:

You seem to know the score, they just don't want you poaching customers. Don't do that, and you'll be fine. If you do, they might sue you, but my guess is that they aren't making a whole lot of profit off of an individual customer at the rates they are paying out to their contractors.

If they aren't, they're doing something wrong. They're charging something like 2-3 times the rate they pay to contractors.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Is this tutoring? It seems like tutoring.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Lord Windy posted:

Is this tutoring? It seems like tutoring.

This happens a lot with tutoring agencies?

I talked to another one a while back that wanted a contract signed as part of the application. Uh, no.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
It was something that was put infront of me when I applied to one in Australia. I don't think they spoke to a lawyer, as the contract looked like it was written in America for Americans.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I have a personal policy that I don't sign things that I don't intend to follow through with, even if they are unenforceable, unlikely to be enforced, etc. If it's on paper, line through all the poo poo you disagree with, initial each one, sign at the bottom, and send it back. There is generally something either at the beginning or at the end saying that you can't line through stuff, that the agreement must stay whole - be sure and line through that part.

This is more difficult if it's electronic, as there's no way to do that.

Ever since I started reading through contracts and objecting to things in them, I have been surprised at how many places are amenable to changes with little or no pushback. I think 5 years not working in your field in your metropolitan area is wholly unreasonable, I can't see anyone arguing that it's reasonable, and if they do, that's not someone you want to be working for anyhow. If they just want to make sure you're not poaching their clients, agree to write something up where you won't poach their clients.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
That sounds more like a no-poaching clause which isn't too weird. It's just worded too broadly. I guess I would see if they can amend it to specify tutoring services, i.e. change "any business offering services" to "any business offering tutoring services". But I'm guessing they'd tell you to gently caress off because it would cost them money to have their lawyer review it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Unenforceable as gently caress, by the way.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Can you edit the agreement?

When ever some jackass sends me an agreement with some bullshit like a Non-Compete clause, I simply remove it and edit the rest to my liking, then sign and return. 99.9% of the time they will never realize that the agreement has been edited as they'll skim through it to look for your signature. Then when they counter sign that, joke's on them for not reviewing their own agreement. I've done this several times for freelance projects as well as the big company/corporate salaried jobs. It's almost pathetic to a degree they don't re-read the agreement when they receive it signed.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

evensevenone posted:

That sounds more like a no-poaching clause which isn't too weird. It's just worded too broadly. I guess I would see if they can amend it to specify tutoring services, i.e. change "any business offering services" to "any business offering tutoring services". But I'm guessing they'd tell you to gently caress off because it would cost them money to have their lawyer review it.

I edited it in the op because I wasn't sure I wanted to reveal what it was at the time.

Regardless of whether it's enforceable or not, what kind of relationship do they expect to establish with their workers if they're putting that kind of language in the contract? They might as well just replace the whole text with "we suck and you do not want to work for us."

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

I edited it in the op because I wasn't sure I wanted to reveal what it was at the time.

Regardless of whether it's enforceable or not, what kind of relationship do they expect to establish with their workers if they're putting that kind of language in the contract? They might as well just replace the whole text with "we suck and you do not want to work for us."

I do contract video work - recently an international megacorp wanted to hire me to shoot some video on an industrial site - the liability waiver they wanted me to sign was only about a page, but it said, basically, that if I did anything that injured anyone, broke anything, or killed anyone, I was wholly responsible and took all legal and financial responsibility; if they, their employees, their equipment, or an act of God broke anything of mine, injured or killed me or any one of my employees, they had no responsibility whatsoever, even if the damage/injury/killing was due to negligence on their part. I also agreed to not sue them for anything, ever.

They were seriously flummoxed when I objected to this and refused to sign. Unlike the 10 page contracts where you can line through a few things and most of the agreement stays intact, by the time I got through lining through everything I disagreed with, there was no contract left and my attorney advised me not to sign and return it in that state. I lost the gig, they picked up somebody to do it (who presumably signed the waiver unchanged) the. next. day.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

VideoTapir posted:

If they're a lovely company for other reasons, don't go to work for them, but honestly that particular clause looks pretty reasonable, though five years is really long. One year would be more reasonable.

That bit about attorney's fees is pretty ridiculous though, I'd probably demand they cut that.

The kind of contracts I'd watch out for are the ones that try to ban you from an entire industry or have very broad intellectual property clauses.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
Non-competes are complete bullshit for that level of compensation. They're typically enforced at executive level positions or if you're in a position to reveal a potentially crippling trade secret. It doesn't sound like either one applies to you. I signed a non-compete for my very first full time job and it stated that I couldn't work for anyone else in my industry for a year after I left. Of course they never enforced it because non-competes that prevent you from making a living are not ever going to hold up in court.

Send it back if you really need the job and tell them you want the non-compete language removed. It's a contract and it can be revised. But even if you don't want to bother with that a) they will never try to enforce it b) if for some unthinkable reason they did, it would never hold up in a court.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Heh, they even started having non-competes for sandwich artists. Worked at Subway and want to work for Blimpe? Nope, you have a wait at least a year or you're competing hurting our business.

One the things I signed said I couldn't tell employers anything about my job only that my title "Support Enginner" and the dates I was employed. No stories, no specifics of what I actually did, the clients I worked with - absolutely nothing.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Tab8715 posted:

One the things I signed said I couldn't tell employers anything about my job only that my title "Support Enginner" and the dates I was employed. No stories, no specifics of what I actually did, the clients I worked with - absolutely nothing.

That's typical of a Non-disclosure agreement (NDA), but nearly impossible to enforce as well.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
We have a similarly crazy seeming non compete but don't enforce it when people move to other companies. However when people start calling up the clients they worked with here and offering to do the same work slightly cheaper, then we enforce it in full. Helps that side of things run a little more smoothly, if we didn't have it there would be very little we could do about ex staff going freelance from their home (with no overhead compared to ours) and being able to drastically undercut us.

Our non disclosures are also similar, it's complete blanket coverage - but I talk about what i've done all the time online, I just don't talk about stuff i'm not supposed to and make sure it's all public knowledge in a press release or something.
Again this is so if someone isnt quite so careful and the wrong thing gets out to the wrong person the company isnt completely liable and we can fire them easier.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 10, 2014

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Slayerjerman posted:

Can you edit the agreement?

When ever some jackass sends me an agreement with some bullshit like a Non-Compete clause, I simply remove it and edit the rest to my liking, then sign and return. 99.9% of the time they will never realize that the agreement has been edited as they'll skim through it to look for your signature. Then when they counter sign that, joke's on them for not reviewing their own agreement. I've done this several times for freelance projects as well as the big company/corporate salaried jobs. It's almost pathetic to a degree they don't re-read the agreement when they receive it signed.

How far can you actually get with stuff like this? What if you sneak an extra 0 onto your salary or a nice signing bonus, with a million dollar penalty if they fire you in the first year? Would it actually hold up? Or does it stop working if you overdo it.

I hope to do something like this with my next rental agreement (100% damage deposit returned, no penalty for moving out early) but it always seemed like something that wouldn't actually work.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Dr_Amazing posted:

How far can you actually get with stuff like this? What if you sneak an extra 0 onto your salary or a nice signing bonus, with a million dollar penalty if they fire you in the first year? Would it actually hold up? Or does it stop working if you overdo it.

I hope to do something like this with my next rental agreement (100% damage deposit returned, no penalty for moving out early) but it always seemed like something that wouldn't actually work.

I think it's more that you can just black out sections, adding things usually means the contract should be rewritten.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

You'd have to talk to a lawyer to know for sure. The way to get 100% of your damage deposit returned is to return the place clean and without damage. The generally accepted way to do this is to take photos, and when they claim there is damage, you and your photos go to small claims court to get your money back.

No penalty for moving out early would largely negate the entire purpose of a lease.

Neither of these things seem advisable to "sneak" into your lease. But IANAL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Both parties really should initial any changes just to be safe. Beyond that I'm guessing you are at the mercy of lawyers / judges.

• Locked thread