Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Received another package from Toebone today!

Apologies for the washed out photo, but there's a pair of chocolate bars from Trader Joe's- I've had speculoos before but never with chocolate, which sounds like it'll be wonderful. There's also a collection of horror films: The Return of the Vampire, which appears to be the unit-mover of this set (it has Bela Lugosi),The Revenge of Frankenstein, Mr. Sardonicus, and The Brotherhood of Satan. Any jump-out titles to any of y'all? Return of the Vampire is a wartime film which features Dracula being resurrected when a stray Nazi bomb dislodges the stake in his heart, which sounds dope, and I'm always down for Satanic cult movies.

There's also a fascinating little toy, which is a robot fashioned out of blocks of wood and held together by rubber bands. It's like the o-ring construction of old GI Joes, but for all of its joints, which allows it to be posed in a large number of ways. It also folds up into a perfect cube.

Thanks Toebone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Glad you liked everything! No idea if any of those horror movies are any good, but I saw it in a bin at the checkout line and I couldn't say no to The Brotherhood of Satan

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I thank Hibernator for being a wonderful Santa. Since this is CineD I decided to make a short video depicting his gifts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhz2U6GBDrc

Oh cool, I'm glad everything arrived before the new year. I've never shipped anything internationally before so I was worried you wouldn't get them for weeks. Hope you enjoy everything.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I have received two of the three things from DetoxP and they are rad as hell. Apparently there's more to come!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Oh hey more stuff from DetoxP

heeeyyyyy

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
:golfclap:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
:master:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

:drat:

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Ain't I a stinkah?

Edit: Also I wasn't going to reveal that those gifts were from me until afterwards, so I must've goofed somewhere

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

DetoxP posted:

Ain't I a stinkah?

Edit: Also I wasn't going to reveal that those gifts were from me until afterwards, so I must've goofed somewhere

It said so in your first gift(s).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hibernator posted:

Oh cool, I'm glad everything arrived before the new year. I've never shipped anything internationally before so I was worried you wouldn't get them for weeks. Hope you enjoy everything.

Thanks a bunch. I've started reading What They Don't Teach you in Film School and it's really informative. I haven't watched the DVDs yet but I usually dig creative low-budget action stuff so I'm sure I'll like it.

Mail tends to be a bit weird here. Sometimes things take 1-2 weeks to arrive other times it's over a month. Usually things seem to stop in Germany or Sweden first before being forwarded to Iceland despite Iceland being a lot closer to the US than either of those.

According to the mail tracking thing the gift I sent to my santee was received by someone on the 26th but the info is a bit vague on whether this is the person I sent it to or just another post office.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Hey axleblaze, can I get a status update on mine? I emailed the santa email but I figured you wouldn't have much reason for checking it by this point.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've still been checking it about once a day. Rest assured you should be good.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Well whaddya know, something showed up just now!

And I loving KNEW it was Geekboy, because my theory was that the only way he could have known the gifts I sent him were from me is if he knew my real name because I was also assigned to him. Axleblaze DID say that one person has the same santa and santee...

I've never read this, and somehow I've barely even heard of it! It sounds great from what I read of the back though, and it's always good to have another book in the queue. Thanks so much! I'll tell you what I think of it in Gen Chat when I finish what I'm reading now.

Apparently, there is more to come.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I think you'll love it. :)

Something super personal went in the mail today (should take 7 days-ish because you're Canadian and I'm ... not) and one of my favorite things will be there on the 12th or so. I would have had personalized a message in the one to tell you all about why I chose it, but when shipping to Canada from US Amazon (since the item wasn't in Canada's Amazon), that isn't an option.

Sorry I'm so late on everything. Never do a Christmas play. It saps all your time at a time of year when you have none anyway.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I got my gift yesterday! I don't have a camera around so I don't have a picture of it, but it's the Japanese Army of Darkness poster (with the Campbells Soup cans) Thanks mystery goon!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Yesterday I got a package at my office from Iceland. Iceland? Who do I know in Iceland?

Inside the package there was a large stack of cards, tied together with ribbons.

Huh. That's interesting.

When you unfolded the cards, there was writing on the inside, in English and in Icelandic (maybe Danish?):

Oh, my....

Folded out, the message reads like a crazy person asking for ransom:

D
EAR
VARG
o
SO
rry
HOW
LA
te
THIS is arriving
I was going to buy you something comic related but couldn't be sure what you already OWNED
SO
I

DECIDED
TOGIVE YOU
SOMETHING

A bit local
I could be reasonably sure
YOU DIDN'T ALREADY
OWN
HOPE YOU
LIKE IT
HAPPY
HOLIDAYS
please don't ban me
XOXO
your
SANTA

p.s. I may have bought a few too many christmas cards and had to use them for something.

Well, this package is very nicely wrapped for a crazy person. (Please don't murder me.):

What's inside?

Why it's..... AN ICELANDIC FILM I'VE NEVER HEARD OF!!

That's a cool cover though, and it makes sense when Google tells me that it's the movie David Gordon Green remade as Prince Avalanche. I loving loved Prince Avalanche, so this is great! I can't wait to watch it.

Also this totally baller-looking novel:

I want to read more novels this year, so this thing is awesome and a good place to start!

Thank you, insane Icelandic goon! I actually forgot which one of you is from Iceland. Meaning of Life, I think?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Nope, that would be Freudianslippers.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Toebone posted:

I got my gift yesterday! I don't have a camera around so I don't have a picture of it, but it's the Japanese Army of Darkness poster (with the Campbells Soup cans) Thanks mystery goon!

You're welcome! The place I got it didn't have gift options so I couldn't include a note, unfortunately. There's also one more thing that should be there within a day or so.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

axleblaze posted:

Nope, that would be Freudianslippers.

T
HANK
you
Fruedian
SLIP
pers.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Vargo posted:

T
HANK
you
Fruedian
SLIP
pers.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Vargo posted:

T
HANK
you
Fruedian
SLIP
pers.

YoU're
welCOME

HOPE
you
enJOY
IT

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I haven't been keeping track, is there anyone that is still giftless?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

mr. stefan posted:

You're welcome! The place I got it didn't have gift options so I couldn't include a note, unfortunately. There's also one more thing that should be there within a day or so.

Got the second half today, a set of fancy beer glasses! And I just so happen to love drinking beer! How convenient!

Thanks mr. stefan!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Hey, DetoxP. I'd PM you, but you don't have plat (which, in hindsight, I think is going to be an automatic purchase for future Santees if they don't have it already). I received notification that one of the last two things was delivered, so I just wanted to check in with you and make sure you'd gotten everything. I think it should all be there by now. Or at least should be real, real soon.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Geekboy posted:

Hey, DetoxP. I'd PM you, but you don't have plat (which, in hindsight, I think is going to be an automatic purchase for future Santees if they don't have it already). I received notification that one of the last two things was delivered, so I just wanted to check in with you and make sure you'd gotten everything. I think it should all be there by now. Or at least should be real, real soon.

I don't have time to post pics or proper thanks at this moment, but yes I just got them both and holy poo poo, dude.

edit: I'll post pics tonight - just wanted to confirm for now that they have been received so you don't fret.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Just letting everyone know that I closed the window that had the Secret Santa account open in it so if you have a problem, it'd probably be better to PM me or just tell me to check the e-mail account in this thread. Still, I think everyone's good, right?

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Geekboy delivered. I already have a book which I've never read - but sounds great - and now a movie, that I've never even heard of, but....

...that's one hell of a tagline. I'm interested in hearing your spiel, Geekboy.

It's not the only thing that showed up though. I thought it wasn't too obvious just how stupidly obsessed I am with my favourite show, but I guess I won't shut the gently caress up about Breaking Bad, the best show ever.

On the other side was this:

loving stellar work. I'm actually stunned that you went through this much effort. Seriously. This is amazing and I am searching for a good way to put it up. I just finished my Breaking Bad rewatch so this is very appropriate.

Also this was very comforting to me:

Thanks so much, dude! You obviously put a lot of thought and time into this - in fact, my gifts are basically poo poo! This has been a pretty stellar Secret Santa and I will definitely be in again next year. I'm looking forward to telling you about how I respond to The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter and Vanishing Point in the future in GenChat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Awwwww.

DetoxP posted:

Thanks so much, dude! You obviously put a lot of thought and time into this - in fact, my gifts are basically poo poo! This has been a pretty stellar Secret Santa and I will definitely be in again next year. I'm looking forward to telling you about how I respond to The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter and Vanishing Point in the future in GenChat.

Vanishing Point is one of my all time favorite movies. It's about freedom and refusing to compromise and it gives me feelings every time I watch it (as well as being an awesome car movie ... and I loves me some car movies).

I basically just sent you a couple of my favorite things and spent a couple of hours doing one of my favorite things. I feel like your gifts were every bit as good as mine.

Oh, and here's a scan of the drawing so you can see it a little better.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 19, 2015

• Locked thread