Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

when i open my macbook after it's been closed, i just see a black screen. the mac is on, though, because the keyboard lights up and i can actually dim and brighten the (black) screen. i try to take screenshots with Cmd + Shift + 3, but they don't save and sometimes I hear the "error" sound effect. only way out is to shut down the machine and login again.

I've had this problem before and it seemed to go away after deleting the sleep image.

this time I've tried everything:

reset SMC
    reset PRAM
    delete sleep image
    remove all startup items
    delete a bunch of software
    verified disk and disk permission
    fixed disk and disk permission

there seems to be a 10 - 20 second window where i can sometimes wake my machine. this has given me a few false positives that this doesn't happen on other user accounts, or after closing certain programs. but I'm pretty sure it happens no matter what.

this would suggest a hardware problem, but from my experience with this before, when i went away, i think it's software.

actually, last time i had this problem i was doing a lot of web development and had Apache and MySQL running all the time. i've got back into that, so i saw a correlation there. but apache and mysql aren't running when this is happening so maybe it's nothing.

any thoughts?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and sometimes I can get to the login screen after waking, but there's not mouse cursor and I can't type my password. It seems totally frozen. (also adding that i did a disk and permission verify/fix).

UPDATE: Maybe I fixed this by booting into safe mode and deleting the sleep image again? EDIT: nope

FIXED: I guess I wasn't doing the SMC thing right because i misread the instructions to mean I should unplug the power, not plug it in. also i deleted my /Library/Preferences, perhaps needlessly.

uuggghh

EDIT2: has anyone had a problem with mysql preventing wake from sleep?

ADDENDUM: maybe this has to do with developer seed or whatever

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread