Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Pudding. No not that Jello poo poo. Real British pudding. To those of us in America pudding just means some hella sweet thing made by mixing a weird powder with milk and getting some goopy gelatinous thing or worse, just opening a weird molded plastic cup. According to Heston Blumenthal, pudding is anything that is starts out as primarily liquid that is cooked in a casing or a mold. It is also not necessarily sweet but can also be savo(u)ry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MGQ5iFLDWg

Relatively recently I was recommended trying Sticky Toffee Pudding at a Gordon Ramsay restaurant and never actually got a chance to try it at the restaurant. Having missed out I was looking for an opportunity to try to make it myself and decided to make it for thanksgiving. It was phenomenal. I made it again for a christmas party this last saturday and it broke people’s tastebuds, I’ve been getting texts about it every day since then. So yeah, it has sparked my interest in other puddings! I know I love bread pudding, black pudding, and yorkshire puddings so so far puddings seem pretty awesome so let’s all make some pudding!

Some pudding examples:
Sticky Toffee Pudding
Haggis
Christmas Pudding
Yorkshire Pudding
Plum Pudding
Spotted Dick
Sponge Pudding
Jam Roly Poly
Black Pudding
Bread and Butter Pudding or Bread pudding for short

Pudding recipes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Qj1gEpwfM pt2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTX_E0si44k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMEIB2zOspA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXtnS2PM9iw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67ACPdha1XI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUvIJqhq0KQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meNBjNbWbXc

http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/british-sticky-toffee-pudding-challenge/
I do this ^^ but I puree my dates in a blender with the boiling water and baking soda. I also salt my toffee sauce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zesrVNaGV64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUNDvDqF8Ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRH4Ubeqo4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uU16UQWBjo

So make some pudding because it’s delicious.

edit:
DnF tells me it's not an official CoD piece if it doesn't have the die part so here's the die
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:
By posting in this thread you agree to make a pudding and if you don't you're fuckin missing out because puddings are loving delicious.

edit 2
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:
She's now bitching that there's no deadline so yeah, cook a pudding before new year I guess.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

obligatory charmmi gigapudding-ing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_8uf23u3Hs

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Hell yeah puddi or die

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
So just to confirm, are you going to show us your spotted dick or not? Is it that kind of thread?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bob_McBob posted:

So just to confirm, are you going to show us your spotted dick or not? Is it that kind of thread?

u show me ur s i'll show u mine ;)

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm in for a new pun-y red title :v:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

You motherfuckers better be ready for my puds

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Your delicious banana/coconut our was the first thing to come to mind when I saw this thread. And my wife is constantly after me to make it more regularly :yum:

franco
Jan 3, 2003
As a Brit, I feel obligated to make something stodgy that sits in your stomach like a satisfyingly heavy bomb. I'm in!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I will pud a pud.

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

Where is my motherfucking HAT
ima make a pud in the traditional brit sense.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Well I guess I'm up first then:

Eve's Pudding

My mum used to make this when I was a kid and I recently nagged her to find the recipe since I remember loving it. It's basically a sponge pud but still fairly dense.

Peel/core/slice a load of cooking apples, mix with demerara sugar and grated lemon rind - layer in the bottom of a greased dish.
Cream together butter and caster sugar then beat until fluffy. Beat in some vanilla essence and a couple of beaten eggs gradually.
Fold in self-raising flour and enough milk to make it nice and smooth.
Spoon that over yer apple mix and smooth the top. Bake that puppy at a medium temp until it passes the skewer test.

Eat it with custard or forever get the stinkeye from people who know.

Then take poo poo pictures (one with a portion half-eaten) for proof.

Think of it as a really ghetto pineapple upside-down cake except with apples and little of the finesse.

:britain:

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
^^ That looks delicious!

GrAviTy84 posted:

According to Heston Blumenthal, pudding is anything that is starts out as primarily liquid that is cooked in a casing or a mold. It is also not necessarily sweet but can also be savo(u)ry.

Serious question: is there a difference between a pudding and, say, a bundt cake? Is cake a type of pudding?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Esme posted:

^^ That looks delicious!

Serious question: is there a difference between a pudding and, say, a bundt cake? Is cake a type of pudding?

I am not a pudding expert by anymeans, maybe a Briton could more adequately answer. I know I've seen "pudding cakes" for sale before.

I puddinged tonight of the Yorkshire variety with a Ducasse'd ribeye and a shaved beet salad with prickly pear balsamic vinaigrette and goat beemster.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

If a yorkshire counts, I'll popover :colbert:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I laminated a few more of the Grandmatriarch's recipes and came across this while sorting cards next to some apples:

Yeah, instant tapioca :dealwithit:

Subbed the last of a bag of demerera in the bar for some of the sugar and used white for the balance rather than dig fresh brown goodness from the pantry. And dropped in a snap of cinnamon while simmering the hot water rather than use powdered. Apples were two Granny Smith and one Mac.

And to further bend the rules, I didn't wait for all of it to cool and set. Rather, I spooned some still piping hot over vanilla ice cream. Some rum-ed whipped cream over it all would have been perfect.

Now to find a new, breadier pud to try.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 12, 2014

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Self saucing chocolate pudding. This will make you fat, mainly because it's so easy and the ingredients are usually available when the urge strikes.

You need a deep dish.

OVEN ON TO 180C/360F

BASE:

75g melted butter
1/2 cup milk

3/4 c caster sugar
1 tbs cocoa powder
1 cup white flour
3 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
handful of raisins and/or coconut

TOPPING:

1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup caster sugar
3 tbs cocoa powder

1.5 cup warm water

Mix butter and milk with first lot of dry ingredients, making a cake batter. Spread that in the dish.

Sprinkle the sugar/cocoa mix over the top. Gently pour the water over the top of that. Hopefully this comes about half way up the dish. Into the oven for 40 MINS.

When it's done you'll have an inch of chocolate cake with a crisp top floating on an inch of thick, hot, oozy chocolate sauce. Best with cold cream.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

sweat poteto posted:

Self saucing chocolate pudding. This will make you fat, mainly because it's so easy and the ingredients are usually available when the urge strikes.

You need a deep dish.

OVEN ON TO 180C/360F

BASE:

75g melted butter
1/2 cup milk

3/4 c caster sugar
1 tbs cocoa powder
1 cup white flour
3 tsp baking powder
pinch salt

TOPPING:

1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup caster sugar
3 tbs cocoa powder

1.5 cup warm water

Mix butter and milk with first lot of dry ingredients, making a cake batter. Spread that in the dish.

Sprinkle the sugar/cocoa mix over the top. Gently pour the water over the top of that. Hopefully this comes about half way up the dish. Into the oven for 40 MINS.

When it's done you'll have an inch of chocolate cake with a crisp top floating on an inch of thick, hot, oozy chocolate sauce. Best with cold cream.

My arteries are crying in anticipation.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

sweat poteto posted:

You need a deep dish.

OVEN ON TO 180C/360F

BASE:

75g melted butter
1/2 cup milk

3/4 c caster sugar
1 tbs cocoa powder
1 cup white flour
3 tsp baking powder
pinch salt

TOPPING:

1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup caster sugar
3 tbs cocoa powder

1.5 cup warm water

that looks so good. unf

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Hey so today we were chatting in IRC and Icehook mentioned eggnog pudding and I had the hilariously terrible idea for eggnog panna cotta! So I took a little of the nog I made last year from this recipe and added some gelatin and now I have a hilariously boozy dessert that harshes the back of your throat because I accidentally boiled the nog when I heated it. I bet it's pretty good when you don't gently caress up though!

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I made a pudding!

Mrs. Reagan's Persimmon Pudding. My grandma used to make this every Christmas. Sadly, due to my starting it too late and my jury rigged steamer dripping condensation into the batter, I had to stick it in the oven to finish and the texture is pretty tough. But it still tastes good and works as the vehicle for cream and brandy sauce that it really is.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I made a spotted dick

Spotted Dick by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

dried blueberries and apricots with calamansi zest.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 1, 2015

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

You have a preferred recipe for the spotted dick? That looks like a decent food project for the kids, this weekend.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Butch Cassidy posted:

You have a preferred recipe for the spotted dick? That looks like a decent food project for the kids, this weekend.

this was my only time making and even having it so I don't know if this is a good recipe or not but this is the one I used:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/spotteddickandcustar_87835

I couldn't find suet so I used butter, I hear it's even better with suet though. Tasted good to me, but a real brit might not think it's legit or something, idk

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

BBC is usually reliable for these things, or for a video have a look at the HILARIOUS Jamie Oliver version.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Queen Louise pudding

This is the best pudding in the world.

3 egg yolks
5 dl single cream
1 vanilla bean
.75 dl sweet sherry
1 dl sugar
5 sheets gelatine

Soak gelatine. Combine half cream and egg yolks in pot with scraped vanilla bean and heat under constant whisking until thickened and hot. Add sugar. Add gelatine. Whisk together and strain. Cool to room temperature. Whip remaining cream and combine evenly, pour into mould and chill until set. The heating of the eggs and cream enrichen and deepen the flavour, and render an unctuous consistency, while the whipped cream adds lightness and air. Lightly sweetened, with heady sherry aroma. Serve with a fresh, sweetened, warm berry sauce of some kind. Blackcurrant coulis is particularly good, as is raspberry.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
That looks intriguing, Sjurygg - will have to give it a go sometime.

GrAviTy84 posted:

By posting in this thread you agree to make a pudding and if you don't you're fuckin missing out because puddings are loving delicious.

so yeah, cook a pudding before new year I guess.

*checks calendar*

Bob_McBob
Aery
Rurutia
Steve Yun

...are all on the naughty step. C'mon even professional welcher, Butch Cassidy, came through! ;)

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I actually made a malt vanilla pudding thing for NYE and then forgot about this thread. v:shobon:v

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, this thread. Made sticky toffee pudding for New Years

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Rice pudding trying brandied raisins and condensed milk. The condensed milk had my attention since coming across it on Pioneer Woman and was fine if no niftier than just sugar in a normal rice pud. Boozed raisins, however, are awesome in this. Wife vetoed a caramel pecan sauce and made a mixed fruit coulis for me to top with, instead.

The coulis didn't match very well, but it was a very good sauce in its own right. And its inclusion guaranteed domestic stability :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

sweat poteto posted:

You need a deep dish.

OVEN ON TO 180C/360F

BASE:

75g melted butter
1/2 cup milk

3/4 c caster sugar
1 tbs cocoa powder
1 cup white flour
3 tsp baking powder
pinch salt

TOPPING:

1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup caster sugar
3 tbs cocoa powder

1.5 cup warm water

I made this for a choir party before Christmas. It went over well--there were maybe a few large spoonsful left at the end of the night, and the director had been spotted going around commenting at random on how good it was.

• Locked thread