Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

FizFashizzle posted:

same thing that happened in Carolina then.

What was the excuse for Atlanta?

gently caress Atlanta, that's what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So are the Saints fans hoping their team limps into the playoffs or do you guys prefer they lose out so you can clean house and get a better draft pick?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SirPhoebos posted:

So are the Saints fans hoping their team limps into the playoffs or do you guys prefer they lose out so you can clean house and get a better draft pick?

gently caress it, limp. We suck at drafting for defensive needs anyway.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
Apparently the answer to the question is: "Play the Bears"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Dattserberg posted:

Apparently the answer to the question is: "Play the Bears"

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
loving Saints are going to end up 8-8 and ruin everyone's fun times

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Febreeze posted:

If Saints win and Carolina loses next week we will rest our starters week 17. So cheer for that?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MJBuddy posted:

If Saints win and Carolina loses next week we will rest our starters week 17. So cheer for that?

Lol

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

:buddy:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Febreeze posted:

All I want for Christmas is a 7-9 Saints team to knock off the defending champion Seahawks in Seattle.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

NC-17 posted:

All I want for Christmas is a 7-9 Saints team to knock off the defending champion Seahawks in Seattle.

We all want that, but I'd prefer to do it in New Orleans.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

NC-17 posted:

:lol: repeat

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Saints gonna go 11-9 and win the Super Bowl.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Over The Cap's take on fixing the Saints.

http://overthecap.com/navigating-saints-2015-salary-cap/

Also perpetuating the "Brady took a pay cut" narrative.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Febreeze posted:

Lol

We were all so foolish. No one expected the Saints to be this bad. We might start our starters and still lose to Tampa Bay

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Jerome Agricola posted:

Over The Cap's take on fixing the Saints.

http://overthecap.com/navigating-saints-2015-salary-cap/

Also perpetuating the "Brady took a pay cut" narrative.

From the comments:

quote:

This Saints team is absolute trash at this point and is not likely to get better quickly. It is my opinion that the best possibility for their quick recovery is to move on from it's offensive core and rebuild the team from the ground up. They have, in the past, shown good judgement in the past acquiring talent with limited assets. Their option of rebuilding for one more run has failed and they are staring at cap oblivion. Their best option is the nuclear course.

In the spirit of that, I have a couple of options of teams I feel have both the cap flexibility and are in the correct

I don't believe this is a strong possibility, but I like the thought of it as a thought experiment, and so here goes.

Option #1

The Bears trade Jay Cutler, 2nd and conditional 4th pick to the Saints for Drew Brees.

Beforehand the Bears pay 11 million of Cutlers base salary as a bonus.

Brees remaining dead money accelerates onto the cap in the form of 11 million, after absorbing the hit from Cutler (after the pre-paid bonus) brings their total QB cost to around 15-16 million, which is about in line for what Jay Cutler is worth. This deal gives them a league average (maybe slightly below maybe) starting QB in a miserable division and a chance to break ties with Cutler after the season if they see fit.

The Bears have a real QB and immediately surround him with an Embarrassment of riches in offensive talent. They buy low on a Franchise QB and get to see what this offense can actually do.

The Saints clear around 10 million in salary immediately, and acquire a cost controlled, league average starting QB and some future assets. Not the best situation, but it's something to begin with.

Option #2

They trade Brees and Sean Payton to the Jets for a 2nd and 5th this year and a conditional pick which can be no less than a third and can be up to a 1st, based on post season success.

Are the Jets a QB away... probably not. But when you see Eric Decker, Percy Harvin, Jeremy Kerely and a young Jace Amaro you have to wonder what Drew Brees and Sean Payton could do with this.

Payton is familiar with Chris Ivory, and knows very well what to do with a plethora of RB options.

The Jets are among the few teams that could absorb Brees contract hit full bore and not blink.

You have to wonder how much Sean Payton wants to stick around for a total rebuild in New Orleans after basically being a contender for 6 years. The franchise needs a kick start and this is a lot of assets in the form of cap relief(14 mil) and picks. The GM can then commence cuts and begin to rebuild the franchise for the next run in a miserable division.

Fiz, when did you start posting on Over The Cap comments?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I love how fans figure out compensation in these ridiculous trade scenarios.

"Brees and Sean Payton to the Jets for a 2nd and 5th this year and a conditional pick which can be no less than a third and can be up to a 1st,"

what fever dream led to this?

also lol at "payton is familiar with chris ivory"

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
No.

Just no.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

There are a LOT of really stupid Saints fans. It seems like they want to go back to the good old days of the late 90s by not paying anybody.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Saints fans having any enjoyment in life was an error and should be fixed. Same for Cleveland.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

go3 posted:

Saints fans having any enjoyment in life was an error and should be fixed. Same for Cleveland.

I think you'll find that the fleeting hope Browns fans had through the first 10 weeks will be extinguished for good very shortly.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

go3 posted:

I can't go back.

I WONT GO BACK

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

go3 posted:

kiss the ill-gotten dirty tainted ring

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I didn't get into football until 2008. Having a poo poo team is a confusing and frightening prospect for me.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Doppelganger posted:

I didn't get into football until 2008. Having a poo poo team is a confusing and frightening prospect for me.

If there is anything I've learned in my year and half as a Seahawks fan, it's that football is awesome and losing is, at most, a one week setback.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Doppelganger posted:

After you've come to terms with the fact that your team is going to suck, being a fan becomes a lot less stressful, time-consuming, and expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Doppelganger posted:

It's like wrapping up in an old, comfortable, poo poo-stained, smallpox infested blanket for me.

• Locked thread